[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like a failure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I'm a 20 year old college student, currently studying HND Electrical Engineering full time along with Higher Mathematics during evening classes. I got an A in HNC, which I was over the moon with, and I hope to get into a good university by the time I'm 21. However, my past still depresses me.

Basically, I did absolute shit in High School. I came out with a lot of Intermediate 2s, but no Highers. I know it's the past and I'm already trying my best to get over it, but my parents are still disappointed in me and my brother considers me a joke (despite the fact that neither my parents or my brother have any qualifications.)

The question is, what the hell can I do to completely get over my past? I want to get over that hurdle and just say "Fuck it, look where I am now. I'm fixing my mistakes and I'm proud", but I just can't.
>>
>>17528804
Sounds like a different country because I have no idea what most of that means so I'll give vague general shit.

I wasn't that good in my past either, but things that help are just ignoring people who look down on you, keep thinking about the achievements you have now, and comparing yourself to the ones who are disappointed in you or consider you a joke. When you start getting more and more successful with your life, people who generally are poor, unsuccessful, or unambitious will start trying to talk you down.

I mean, has your brother or parents done anything? Fuck them. You got an A in HNC, what does your brother have? You're 20 and in college, look at the fuckers who can't even dream of doing that.

It makes me happy when I can walk down a street and look at people who are what I was, and think of how much better off I am now.
>>
>>17528822
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm from Scotland. Here's a link to help you & the readers about HND levels and shit:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/3089.html

My brother literally has no qualifications, he's 23 years old and works in ASDA. My dad's a bin lorry driver, and my mum actually has a decent job. Although I'm not precisely sure what her job actually is.
>>
>>17528846
>don't know what she does
I have one friend who tells me this. His mom works as a scientist for government projects she isn't allowed to talk about. That's a valid excuse. How do you not know what she does?
>>
>>17528852
Well, recently she's changed jobs and I simply haven't been bothered to ask. Apparently, it's still roughly the same salary. She used to interrogate sex offenders and (I think) appeared as in Juror in court.

Not completely sure about the last part, but she definitely appears in court when there's a case about a sex offender.
>>
>>17528804
Anyone can feel like a failure. There are students at top 10 world universities that get B's and think they squandered their potential. My point is: it's not uncommon.

It's also disturbingly widespread to have a family that doesnt believe in you. Plenty of people in the situation above, all the way to those in the ghettos across the world, trying to work their way out of it. It's not uncommon to have an unsupportive family, and unfortunately it's behaviorally heritable. But let's be clear that it's at best weakly correlated to your current work and mindset, and realistically has more to do with theirs.

I won't make any claims to be absolutely right on this, but, from what youve said, these seem to be people that stagnate, and aren't currently (and likely havent) improved very much in their adult lives. What you are attempting to do, improve yourself diligently, is something they can't relate to at all. In their minds, hard workers work hard, lazy people don't. You are, in their mind, lazy, and therefore wont amount to mych endgame, regardless of "flukes" like your marks now. They will only recognize you when you "succeed for real" and become something they invest themselves into.

But you've already succeeded, OP. You've found motivation, worked hard, and proven that you can perform at a high level. The same you from before, when you failed. You are not lazy, or a "hard worker" permanently. You are doing your best, improving and developing yourself. Despite what's negative around you.

Take pride in yourself, and everything youve done up until now. Including what you've done in the past.

Forgive your past self for its faults, and learn from them.

Live for the future, and live in the present.

Also this might help:
Develop good habits by practicing sticking to schedules, not just playing things by ear. Diligence is a skill, not a trait, and can be developed over time.

Now get out there and suck a bag of cocks like you were meant to, OP.
>>
>>17528804
The people you live with are going to drastically effect your outlook. If the people you live with look down on you, you're going to be effected by that. Move out with friends. Your life will be leads better
>>
Sorry for the late replies, I was researching on one of my projects for the course (Switched Reluctance Motor) and I temporarily forgot I created this thread.

>>17529048
Wow, what an insightful post, thanks Anon. I'll take a screenshot of this just to remember the advice.

>>17529081
I'm kinda a hermit. I don't really have any close friends and I don't have a job. However, when I get to university, I'll apply for a place to rent along with bursary and perhaps a loan too.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.