[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Acura CL 3.0 - Airbox Issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: acura-cl-1997-316865.jpg (214KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
acura-cl-1997-316865.jpg
214KB, 1024x768px
Hey /adv/ the fuckfaces on /o/ were of no help at all; those circle jerking faggots.

Hopefully one of you guys could help me out.

I have an 1997 1st Generation Acura CL 3.0 and the guy I bought it from had cut out the entire bottom section of the 'Airflow Box' (forgive me if I don't use the proper terminology); it's the thing where you put in an air filter into.

He also lost EVERY single screw used to secure the top section to the bottom section.

I assume he thought this would result in getting more air to the engine and increase horsepower or something; he was a total pothead so I have no idea why he did it.

Anyways, would what he did to the Airflow Box and the loss of the screws securing the top to the bottom, have any negative effect on gas mileage, engine or V-Tech performance?

Any advice or knowledge would be very much appreciated guys.
>>
If the filter isn't sealing completely you'll suck up debris. Over time that will mess up sensors in your intake manifold and wear out your valves.

Are these the screws that "sandwich" the filter between the upper and lower filter housing?
>>
>>17526507
Lol I can see why /o/ would give you a ride from your post. Anyway you can just get a new filter box or even replace it with a different air filtration system. If you go with an aftermarket air filter system make sure you properly heat shield it. Dunno how long he was running it without a filter (or did he leave the filter on but just take out the bottom? that wouldn't be as bad, but still fucking dumb) but like >>17526579 said, debris will get into your engine, dirty the mass airflow sensor, and trigger the check engine light at first and at worst get into the engine damaging valves, head gasket, the block and cylinders themselves are probably sturdy enough for anything that would've been sucked through. Make sure the check engine light wasn't disabled or anything, I would imagine it would've been flagged pretty quick from either dirt or temperature. Overall gas mileage may be hurt in the long run. The V-tec system is just a variable cam system that alters the timing so it wouldn't be affected, it's independent of the air path unlike by systems. Misunderstanding v tec is one of /o/s triggers.
>>
>>17526507
Technically speak hed gain maybe +3 hp
At best from that.
Your air filter housing is relatively easy to find and buy for 80$ or less. I had to cut to botom housing out because the filter was stuck in there from screws not turning against the bolt in the housing. Bolt spun with screw, chiseled it out got a new housing for 40$. Btw take off the o2 sensor when you get it out. You need it for the new housing.
>>
File: You're pretty good..gif (155KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
You're pretty good..gif
155KB, 678x422px
>>17526755
>>17526632
>>17526579

Thanks a lot guys.

It passed emissions when I got it but I just it made the gayest whistling noise you ever heard.

Check engine light works fine, it actually just came on for dirty (EGM?) ports so I'm having a master mechanic friend do what a Acura forum said and clean them out by boring them a bit.

I had a buddy take a look and he saw that he cut had cut out the bottom but left the air filter in place.

>>17526579

Yeah they're the screws that sandwich the two in place and 'seal' the upper/lower housing.

The weirdest thing is that I live in Phoenix, AZ; a dusty ass fucking state but the air filter I got last year still looks BRAND FUCKING NEW. Like right out of the box new, not a speck of dirt on it; that doesn't seem possible to me.

I drove up to Flagstaff and hit 120 MPH just to test her out and no problems at all; she has plenty of zip but the gas mileage is kinda shitty.

I like the car, she's a bit old and new parts are expensive (especially the brakes and rack and pinion) but the engine is super clean and she's fast when I want her to be.

Anyways, thanks guys.
>>
>>17526863
Definitely sounds like it's not sealing and those screws are probably why. It has to be clamped tight or it will just suck air through the gaps instead of the filter.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.