[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop feeling superior as a Christian?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: gorgeous girl profile bible.jpg (132KB, 980x588px) Image search: [Google]
gorgeous girl profile bible.jpg
132KB, 980x588px
Praying doesn't help. I know Christians who pray an hour a day and they aren't humble. I don't think most adults understand that real humility is surrendering everything even if you're mistreated badly, like a slave. Many adults (not children) are prideful about being humble because they find it hard to "lose" and let it go completely.

E.G. I argued with a friend and we almost started fighting but my other friend who's closer to me said "he's not worth it", then I calmed down. That was an insult, a sin that Jesus equates to murder. But only after that insult I could calm down, before I couldn't let it go because I wanted to win the argument and even fight over it... This is the opposite of what God wants you to do, it's belittling them and feeling superior (opposite to humility).
>>
>>17525628
>christian
>superior
kekd hard
>>
>>17525628
Is this bait? The wording is so bad I have hard time figuring it out.
>>
>>17525640
No.
>>
>>17525628
I don't htink this is a "as a Christian" thing. Just remind yourself that you are a sinner like everyone and that you are here to learn from and serve others.
And judging other people is human so it's normal.
>>
>>17525647
Then stop feeling superior because you aren't

What kind of question is that.
>>
You're not being a very good Christian if you're indulging so heavily in pride.
>>
You're a sinner, like all humans are. You will never not be sinless, so take that weight off your shoulders. What being a Christian about is to at least try, to reach for it and forgive others. Its the journey.
>>
>>17525650
It's harder than you think, I know someone who thought he was "enlightened" because he meditated, studied Buddhism and watched a lot of videos... But I saw him say something snarky, a clear sign that he hasn't made any progress. Imagine if I were slave and I said something snarky to my boss, I would get beat up. That's how I wanted to be.

>>17525658
I know, It's hard.

>>17525648
I'm a Christian because I'd be WORSE without it. I think my most constant error is how even if I keep my mouth shut, I still think badly about people.
>>
>>17525658
no you just don't understand christianity

christianity isn't about (despite what christians might say) helping other people or avoiding pride or really anything altruistic at all.

It's about getting to heaven, and it is really an insurance policy for that purpose.

Naturally you will feel proud if you are further along that path than other people, it's a human trait, pride.
>>
>>17525713
>I know nothing but by golly I want to post anyway!
>>
>>17525721
damn you must be really upset posting a response that quickly

did I strike a nerve?
>>
I used to feel the same way OP. I went to church every week and prayed pretty often, and I've always had a very strong moral sense on top of pretty much always doing the right thing.
A few things changed that viewpoint over the course of a few years.
First off, I fell in love with this girl. I don't think she was interested in me, but I was too afraid to make a move after two years of knowing her and talking pretty often. That whole thing humbled me a bit.
Then I started seriously lifting weights. That showed me how weak I am physically and how much work the truly strong put in. Added on to the growing humility.
I'm not sure what happened, but seemingly out of nowhere my sex drive exploded in my early 20's. Not sure why, but suddenly it wasn't so easy to maintain sexual purity and I realized that if I put myself in a situation with a woman that could lead to sex, there was no way I'd be able to resist it, and that my plan to wait for marriage wasn't nearly as easy as I thought. Realizing how weak of will I was humbled me further.
The last thing was taking really hard classes and seeing how difficult it would be for me to actually get where I want to go (medical school). I for some reason thought I'd just have it handed to me even if I slacked off just because I was smart. The reality check that came from that was pretty much the last straw.
Now I'm not nearly as proud, and I see that there is always room to improve and that really none of us our much better than anyone else. I just had to go through those things in order to realize. I'm probably in the best position, mentally and physically, in my life now, but I just can't sustain that cockiness and pride now that I've grown up a little bit.
>>
>>17525722
>You must be upset for replying quickly
Wow. That's a new one. I've never heard something as retarded as that in a LOOOOONG time.

You must be really upset considering you responded almost as fast as I did, eh? :)
>>
>>17525725
you know nothing about fast responses
>>
>>17525729
Damn, someone's mad as fuck.
>>
>>17525713
>I have a dull middle school child's understanding of Christianity
>>
>>17525731
>>17525729
>>17525725
>>17525722
>>17525721
You're doing exactly what the OP wants to not do.
>>
you are superior to other people though, it's a fact.
god wasn't a pussy and he smited tons of people, he got jealous and angry all the time and your were made in his image. stop listening to the pussified cuck sermons most preachers give and listen to the real words of god who wants you to be successful and rich. Go read some Norman Peale and stop worrying.
>>
>>17525628
>all have sinned and come short of the glory of God

If you are serious, OP, then you need to make this your main priority, because pride is a sin.
Fasting is humbling, working with the poor and homeless is humbling. I hate to say it, but trials are humbling too. If you ask the Lord to teach you humility, he will send trials your way.
Seek to be a servant, as Jesus taught.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.