[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop being an asshole?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

So for starters, I'm a euphoric fedora tipping atheist of the very worst kind. I think religion is a form of mental illness that should immediately disqualify you from holding public office. I make no distinction between different kinds of Christians, I refuse to capitalize the word god, I don't celebrate Christmas or Easter, I idolize Penn Gillette and George Carlin. I'm just the worst. And that was fine, I mostly just sat in my room and wrote hateful things on the internet... which is pretty much what it's for. It's kind of like pissing into a toilet and then feeling smug about it.

But then I fell in love. With a Christian.

He's pretty much the chillest, most unobjectionable Christian you could hope to meet. He doesn't proselytize, he doesn't pray out loud, he doesn't enforce batshit crazy rules, and he doesn't even go to church. No, I'M the problem. Once in a while... we're talking every other month, tops... I'll overhear him in a conversation with someone else that is objectively none of my fucking business mentioning that he'll pray for someone, or discussing a bible story and I just fucking lose it. I start in on the whole "how can you worship an entity that <$biblical atrocity>?" and "if you believe that, why don't you <$levitic law>?" and "if god loves us, why are there <$natural disaster>?".

(continued)
>>
I know intellectually that my actions are wrong. I know that even if what I'm saying is true, it's hurtful and counter productive. He's 44 years old and he went to seminary, then discovered he was gay, and all that did was make him "angry at god" whatever the fuck that means. I'm the one in the wrong here but I CAN'T STOP. It just pours out of me like diarrhea, only less pleasant. Even if I do manage to hold it in, I just wind up fuming over it for hours. And he's just a perfect polite angel and turns the other cheek and that just makes me madder. I'm pissed off at the thought that he might be praying for me even though I don't believe prayer actually does anything. I'm pissed off that he believes this shit at all, even though it just straight up does not effect me in any way.

What can I do? I love this man. I would want to marry him if marriage wasn't archaic medieval bullshit with no place in an enlightened society. I want to be worthy of him. But I can't seem to force myself to respect him and his need for his retarded imaginary friend.
>>
To;dr: I'm an atheist in love with a Christian and it's tearing me up inside. I can't fix him so how do I learn to accept him?
>>
>>17524077
realize that he believes these things for a reason, and that they're part of who he is. Prayer does do something. It's keeping someone in your thoughts, mindfully, and looking for ways to help them. But that's it. It is nice to be cared about though.

Basically, you just need to grow up. You're so convinced you're right about everything you don't even stop to consider his feelings or thoughts. Make an effort to talk to him in earnest about his faith, and together you guys can reach some understanding. Maybe you'll learn why he holds on to it. Maybe he'll start to let go.

either way get off your high horse you fedora tipping literal faggot
>>
>>17524146
Couldn't have said it better. Well done, anon.
>>
I think the biggest problem is that there isnt a problem and you're to much of a fucking tard to see that so you turn it into a problem because you are extremely insecure about what you believe in. Otherwise why does it matter if you're right?
>>
>>17524044
There isn't a right thing to believe in you fucking faggot unless you want to live in 1984. Anyway, just accept that life is the way it is and there is absolutely nothing wrong with loving a christian/muslim/jewish/etc.
>>
>>17524077
>Fix him
You need to fix yourself you autistic sperglord.
>>
>>17524077
I bet you wish you were tearing him up inside
>>
Maybe just accept his views like he has accepted yours?

This is why vocal atheists are such tools, i am a Catholic and i never talk about it or belittle others religions or beliefs. There is no reason to try and berate others for something that has no effect on you at all, just accept that other people have different thoughts and opinions to you and you will be able to move on.
>>
>>17524044
>refuses to capitalize the word God
>capitalizes Christmas, Easter, and Christian.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.