[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joining The Military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: Military.png (240KB, 1044x575px) Image search: [Google]
Military.png
240KB, 1044x575px
My Situation:

>27 year-old still living at home with mom
>No GF (haven't been laid in five years)
>No social life (two good friends)
>Work history consists of menial service and retail jobs
>3 classes from getting my A.S. in Business Admin (Microecon, Precalc, AppliedCalc)

Basically I'm tired of being a pathetic loser, drain on my mom, disappointment to my dad, and want to give my life a major overhaul... possibly in the form of military service.

The two branches I'm considering are the Army and Marines. Any advice on what I should do moving forward? Things to think over before stepping into a recruiter's office?
>>
Are you prepared to kill and be kill?
>>
>>17522909
Standard recruiter question?
>>
>>17522914
I dunno lol
>>
>>17522906
Pros: away from home
Independent
Steady pay
Money for school after

Cons: government bitch for 8 years
Maybe forced to go against morals depending on your stance
27 is old for just joining, may be more difficult.

Above all else just remember your signing a contract to be the US governments tool, and to breach that contract is death or court Marshall in most cases.

You will swear an oath to serve and uphold the US constitution, but there is no doubt in my mind you won't be doing that, as our nation has not in many years.
>>
>>17522924
>27 is old for just joining
Anyone know any specifics on this as far as what your options are and how you'll be treated?
>>
>>17522939
Your young enough to join, just be aware that most of the guys you go to basic with will be 18-22
>>
>Basically I'm tired of being a pathetic loser, drain on my mom, disappointment to my dad

Surely you risking your life will make them feel real good about how they raised you.

>implying theres respect given to the daredevil and joining the service is not unlike playing russain roulette
>>
Would I have to sell my car? Maybe a family member could just take care of it...
>>
>>17522953
That's a very negative outlook. What would you suggest then?
>>
While I have devolved to full retarded, I had good looks in my youth and made quite a social life for myself. I am happy for those memories...they're all I have.
>>
>>17522973
Wonderful.
>>
ok, navy vet here

why army or marines? Is it because you want to be a soldier? Well I've some unfortunate news for you, we're not at war so if you go combat arms you'll never get to do the actual job you signed up for. The days of trading small arms fire with the enemy are over, if you wanted that you should have signed up when you graduated from high school.
>>
I hate to break it to you but being in the military doesn't magically change who you are. If you hate yourself now you'll still hate yourself when you have to get up before sunrise to have some middle aged guy who hates himself run you around the base because it gives him an armyboner.
>>
>>17522906
At 27 with no real skills or qualifications you're going to come in at E-1 and make $1566.90 a month once you're active (about a hundred less until then). They'll assign you to whatever job they think you'll do well at based on your ASVAB score. You'll be 35 when you leave and you have virtually no chance of becoming career at this point in your life unless you both get lucky and do something special.

You think this is a solution. This is a minimum wage job you cannot quit for almost a decade.
>>
>>17523182
Got it. It was a stupid idea. I'll just learn a trade, be a plumber or something.

/thread
>>
>>17523200
he'd start at e-3 because of his college credit
>>
>>17523216
Ahh, I was under the impression that the lack of a degree would mean it was a push. I never really understood that whole situation as I cam in at O-3.
>>
I sort five years on active duty. I left the army at the age of 23 with the rank of sergeant. I am proud of my service and look back fondly. To this day a part of me wishes i never left.

Please do not join the military. You will be miserable and make people around you miserable. You might even get other people killed. The military can be a great opportunity for some people, but not all. From your own description you appear to fall into the latter category.
>>
>>17523173
>>17523200
>>17523225
Goddamn. Alright people, stop responding. This is just depressing now. Point made.
>>
>>17523229
Depressing is that I made a rank most folks will never come close to and it was still the second worst decision of my life.
>>
>>17523223
its based on number of credits, iirc it's 33 credits to get e3 and 18 for e2
>>
OP, I'd suggest joining the French Foreign Legion. Those guys are fucking bad ass, killing Boko Haram n shit. Plus you sign with them for only 5 years the first time. I'm thinking of them as a back up plan for when I get too old and bored of life, I guess. 27 is when I think I might join them if nothing changes for me. 22 now.
>>
>>17523234
Ok, makes sense. I guess I just assumed they fucked enlisted men in the ass on incomplete college credits as much as they did on everything else. Nice to know they don't.
>>
>>17522906
I'm being 100% serious with this
>Have you ever considered the French Foreign Legion?

Reqs: You need to be big and smart enough to pick up a somewhat difficult language while going through basic training

Pros:
You learn French
You get honorary French citizenship at the end
You'll be a fucking Legionnaire which is an ENORMOUS deal

Cons:
The training is an absolute bitch
They do some of the heaviest fighting in the world
Not everybody likes France

Just something to think about
>>
>>17523235
the percentage of recruits from america, canada, and western europe who make it through basic in the FFL is extremely low, under 5%. It's mostly people from eastern slavic hellholes, latin american hellholes, and african hellholes who make it in because they really have nothing to go back to.
>>
>>17523241
When I enlisted pre911, the army gave me e2 for passing a pt test before shipping out. I picked up e3 because a buddy joined, too. He ended up going career, where as I ended up a high school teacher. He's five years from retiring...I have to work 20+ more years.
>>
>>17523248
Fair. I was just putting it out there.
>>
>>17523248
so? OP is at a dead fucking end. at least it will give him something to aim for, at least for a period of time.
>>
>>17522906
Do you have any talents?
>inb4 no boohoohoo
Everybody has some talents. Is there anything in particular you really like to do?
>>
>>17523249
I did my 8 and left at O-5, it was the best decision I ever made. Less than a month out of Officer Training I did something stupid and ended up overruling and order from someone with stars on their shoulder.

To their face.

You can imagine how wonderful my experience was from that point on.
>>
>>17523235
Oh fuck I didn't see this kek
>>
>>17523267
Nothing that would translate into income. I've always been envious of those Type A people who had a plan and knew what they wanted to do from a young age. I never really found a passion.

Not "boohoo"... Just the truth.
>>
>>17523292
Every talent can bring income; Even if all you do is play dark souls all day, that still builds certain skills that can build other connected skills, and so on. What shit can you do/do you like to do?
>>
>>17523298
not OP, but that's bullshit and you know it
>>
>>17523268
Ouch. Details?
>>
Gonna hijack OP's thread, since he's finished with it.

>25
>Quasi-NEET (live with dad, college dropout, no skills, FT security job I love, ISTJ personality, around $4000 in bank)
>Wanted to be artist; slowly losing passion and ambition.
>Don't know if I want to go back to college.
>Don't want to do trade school, get stuck in blue collar hell. Also, the "slowness" that comes with autism makes it so I have to take jobs that don't require me to do things quickly. I'm okay doing a desk job or guard duty or something.

I think it would be fun to be in the military. Many interesting people have done it, my stepdad was a Marine in peacetime. On top of that, I feel like I would get confidence, be a more calm and in-control person, etc. Most post-military people I've met are pretty happy and well-adjusted people.

Plus, all those benefits. Considering either Navy, Coast Guard or Air Force. Already spoke to Marines recruiter, said my autism disqualified me, other branches could take me, though.

>>17523225
>I am proud of my service and look back fondly. To this day a part of me wishes i never left.

>Please do not join the military. You will be miserable and make people around you miserable. You might even get other people killed.

Can you expand on this?
>>
>>17523549
I am going to hang myself from an overpass if these anons give a legit autist more positive advice than me.
>>
>>17523586
I'm not a fedora-wearing neckbeard, one of those "dropped my spaghetti in front of a QT" /r9k/ jerkoffs or Chris-Chan, I just have a learning disability.
>>
>>17523619
Yeah, yeah. I get ya. It's just gonna bum me out if they give you the green light, after basically telling me every single reason why it can't work.
>>
>in 2 years people will be calling this welfare queen a hero
>>
>>17523652
We get it. "Support The Troops" bumper stickers trigger you.
>>
>>17523408
When you're a physician, rank gets weird. If you make a medical decision, the only person who can really trump you is another doctor further up the chain than you. Its one of those things that exists on paper but doesn't really matter because nobody gives a shit about your medical decision besides your supervisor.

Cut to 2006. The Army doesn't have enough people because its involved in two wars. Theres a problem with retention. Casualties are mounting. Everyone is stretched way too thin. That includes medical officers. As a result, I found myself as the ranking physician at 3AM somewhere I had no business being in charge. I've got four soldiers who were way too close to a roadside bomb when it went off. When I read their charts I was looking at vitals, not at MOS. They'd already been running 28 straight hours, they look fine, but I need tests and they need to be observed. So I tell them they're staying put for twelve hours. Their commanding officer calls me and gives me hell, but fuck him I'm the doctor. I get two more calls in the next 20 minutes, but by now its a pissing contest and I'm just not willing to give in. I'm also so new that I can't put two and two together.

Turns out, these four soldiers were the kind of people who there really aren't enough of, especially where we were, and not having them for 12 hours because a doctor who is barely out of officer training is the kind of thing that pisses off all of the wrong people. One thing lead to another and, my luck being what it is, a goddamn Lieutenant General overhears a Major bitching about a doctor who is holding up four special forces soldiers and decides he's going to order me to back down in person. Being the absolute fucking asshole he was, he decided to bring an entourage so everyone knew how big his dick was. Being the absolute fucking retard I am, I informed him that he didn't have the authority to give that order.

Thats when I learned that being technically right is still wrong.
>>
>>17522906
Former Army fag here. The Army promotes much faster. If you are smart join the intelligence field (Human Intelligence Collector, Signal Intel, Intel Analyst, etc etc). These will get you jobs when you get out. The GI Bill only requires 3 years of service and it pays 100% of your education plus a few grand a month to live on when you get out.

Buddy I'll be honest. I joined when I was a few years older and the cry baby shit the 17/18 year olds are gonna do it going to get on your fucking nerves and the older guys 27+ are going to adapt like shit and be cry babies as well.

Get in, do intel, get the fuck out, go to college.
>>
File: jb.gif (473KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
jb.gif
473KB, 500x281px
>>17523735
>Being the absolute fucking retard I am, I informed him that he didn't have the authority to give that order.
oh my fucking god

you're my hero anon
>>
>>17523549
>Can you expand on this?
Based on how op has presented himself (a desperate loser taking a shot in the dark) he is not the type who would benefit from the military, nor would the military benefit from him. He is taking a wild risk to find something, but doesn't even know what that thing is.
>>
File: 985.jpg (53KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
985.jpg
53KB, 500x362px
>>17523173
I was a MR2 assigned to Seabees, I only machined in terms of the average workday. The CMs were always doing mechanic shit, and the EOs were driving. Bravo and Charlie company rates were constantly doing BM tier busy work though.
>>
>>17524285
and did you like it?

I was a QM personally, I loved that.
>>
>>17524292
I loved it outside of the command trying to play badass because of being NECC. We haven't been badasses since Vietnam. Primarily a hearts and minds mission nowadays, when you do help others on deployment it's an awesome feeling. I barely missed the recovery shit for Katrina, and we didn't ship for Sandy (I think it was a Gulfport battalion that did). It sucked a lot of times, but you really do feel fulfilled sometimes in helping others. I wish I had been a grunt at times, but thinking back we did a lot of great things. Building schools, and teaching people how to obtain safe sources of water are the first I recall. I also remember partying it up at the globe in Guam, and learning way too much about your liberty buds hogging fetish. I got out medically despite fighting it, and wound up being lost in the depression for years because I couldn't get a similar gig helping others. Also it has the perk of not being on a ship.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.