[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need advice hard. I need to decide whether I should take or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1431194514218.jpg (86KB, 1100x828px) Image search: [Google]
1431194514218.jpg
86KB, 1100x828px
I need advice hard.

I need to decide whether I should take or not a college course.
Here's the catch: I think I don't want to take it, and I'm pretty sure I don't have the background to take it. It is a graduate course, and while I have covered the official requirements, I'm not solid enough to be fluent in this course.
Here's the problem: I will feel the greatest the desire to cut my wrists if I don't. Every time I give up on something I realize how stupid and worthless I am. I would be giving up something because I can't do it, and that's makes me upset enough to feel suicidal.

Here's the problem - part two: People there know me, and they have seen me once, because I went to ONE lecture. They will know that I dropped the course, and I will feel ashamed because of their realization of my idiocy. I feel they will be laughing at me, because I am the major idiot in my major - no exaggeration there, of them all I am definitely the slowest.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to go, but I don't want people to know I dropped, and they will if I don't go. I want to stay at home and finish the considerable amount of work I have to finish, but I don't want to live if I am to be the reason of everyone's laugh.

I'm also older than everyone in the course, which makes me feel even worse, because I should know better.

I also want to drop my studies in that field altogether. I have other studies in different fields. I don't want to drop them because I want to drop them, like I want to drop the aforementioned course, but because I feel shame every time I step into a lecture, and I don't want to be seen.

Another reason is because there is a woman, upon whom I had a considerable crush, and I still do, somehow. I felt shamed of being seen there by her, even if she is unaware of my existence, she is there to see me fail. Since she was in the same lecture my anxiety was over the top, and I couldn't think about nothing but to cut my wrists or jump out of the window.
>>
nobody actually cares about you, so do whatever
>>
>>17521869
cont'd.

I haven't talked to therapist in almost a year, and I haven't taken any medication since then.

I used to take antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. My therapist thought they were good, she said they made me "less exigent with myself".
It may be true, but because I am not smart I need to be more exigent with myself than others, because otherwise I won't be able to do anything, not even make a my mind about something, like now.

I suppose I could go to the psychiatrist and ask for Xanax again. I used to take it and I could go to lectures Xanax'd. That may make me less anxious about being there, and maybe more willing to be there even if I don't want to.

I now I sound like a madman, I am aware of that...
Please help.
>>
>implying people notice you and care that much

Relax, nobody cares. They're too busy with their own issues. Do you notice and keep track of other people like that or something?
>>
>>17521869
As others have said, you exaggerate the impression you make on others. Most people didn't notice you were there and won't notice you're gone, and the few who do notice will forget about it quickly because - and I don't mean this cruelly - you just don't matter that much to them.

I say that just to get that whole issue out of the way. No one - absolutely no one - is going to think you a failure if you drop out or think you a hero if you stay in.

The real question is what YOU will think about yourself.

Let's bring it down to simple terms. There is a class you are pretty sure you're not equipped to take, but you don't want to back down just because you've backed down from so many other challenges in the past and you want to be able to feel you gave SOMETHING your full commitment.

That is very admirable. It really is. But you have to do a cost-benefit analysis here. Which would be the greatest failure for you - recognizing that you are just not ready for this course and choosing one you have more likelihood of succeeding in, or committing to this course and then discovering that, through no fault of yours but just lack of background classes, you can't do it?

If you think that absolute determination and hard work will get you through this class, and that succeeding will be a major boost to your self-image, then go for it. If you think that the odds are just too great against you, then it is NOT failure or cowardice to acknowledge that, but just good sense.

You decide which path will be best for your mental/emotional health.
>>
Literally nobody in that class could give a shit whether or not that you're in there
>>
File: 1467207996858.jpg (364KB, 827x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1467207996858.jpg
364KB, 827x1357px
>>17521869
quick questions:
Are all of your peers (people of the same year) taking this course ?
Are you the only one dropping this course ?
Going to lectures in the first 2 weeks and then dropping courses is pretty common I believe.

>I have covered the official requirements, I'm not solid enough to be fluent in this course

How bad is it ? it must have a textbook, have you tried the exercises ? I took courses I don't even satisfy requirements for (as an undergrad my major is physics so I never learned Linear programming, but I took graduate level nonlinear optimization, never learned measure theory, took graduate analysis, never learned Galois theory, took graduate algebra, all with approvals of math department). I got A on all of them. The key, I think, is, you DON'T complain a subject is difficult if you haven't solved 5 exercises on it everyday. No ordinary person learns mathematics just by reading the theory, you are not Gauss or Newton. This sounds like it only applies to mathematics but, honestly I believe it applies for any non-soft science.
So my advice is, if this course is that important for your mental health and potential romance, it has only been one lecture, don't get depressed, try to do the textbook exercises, go to your professor (in his office hour, not in front of the class) for help if needed. If:
a) you are indeed incapable of solving ANY exercises in the textbook of your course
(I find this hard to believe, as you have taken the prerequisites, exercises in the first chapter of ANY decent textbook has one single purpose to refresh the foundation)
or
b) after solving them you don't find what you learned useful or rewarding,
then I think you can drop it without feeling so bad.

Pic slightly related, everyone has a moment when they are overwhelmed by the gigantic structure of their own field, this is von Neumann's advice to a physicist, basically, you should substitute your fear with more practice and reflect.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.