[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting back into the labor market advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: another day another feel.jpg (91KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
another day another feel.jpg
91KB, 900x675px
I haven't worked at all in a couple of years and I need to start doing something that'll actually support me, but I've got no idea where to start. The last time I looked for a job it took me more than a year and I applied to over a thousand different positions before I even got anyone to call me back, and I don't want to go through that again.

Have any of you gotten through something similar? I have a bachelor's degree and I used to be a financial planner, but I know I won't be successful if I try to do that again where I live now.

Give me career advice and I'll give you dating advice, oddly enough I've got that figured out pretty well but I can't figure out how to get a steady career.
>>
>>17519214
Are you a NEET?
>>
>>17519235

Currently yes. My parents got divorced last year and I wound up quitting my job to help mediate the whole process (it took more than a year) and help them sell their house. I wound up moving across the country to take care of my mom and help her get set up in her new house. I probably saved her, conservatively, half a million dollars in the divorce, too (my dad had hidden a lot of their assets and transferred them to his girlfriend, but I was able to track it all down), and I made sure she's financially set for life, but she's had no patience with me in terms of finding another job and I have to beg for money from her to buy food. I'm trying to avoid being forced into something shitty by desperation but I don't know that she won't just kick me out on the street if it takes me another year to find a job again.
>>
sfsfsfsfs
>>
>>17519214
A long period of unemployment looks weird on a resume to employers. I'd try to find part time anything. A shit job agency might be someone to go in and talk to, and display what skills you have and get advice on what to do about your long period of no work.
>>
>you have a growing gap of unemployment but your skills are good enough for the job and you have a good attitude
>we're going to pass on you anyway because you have a gap
>gap gets bigger

Want to jump off a bridge at this point
>>
>>17519379

Yeah, I've read a few pieces that suggested that the whole cohort of people who lost their jobs or entered the labor market through the financial crisis are basically getting fucked over by that phenomenon. I can't just complain though, I've got to unfuck myself.
>>
Try looking into jobs at whatever airport your close to in whatever state. Swissport is always hiring at IAD (in VA) for Ramp Agents so I would assume that airports are always looking for those so just go onto google and type in your state/airport/ramp agent/jobs/hiring. Here's swissports website http://www.swissport.com it's not the best but it's a job and it's got flight benefits with united.
>>
>>17519998
i also forgot to add that i had a 2 years of unemployment after i got out of school and swissport was my first job, they will hire anyone. make sure to tick off that you'll only work mornings from 5am-3pm cause then you can do overtime from 2-6pm or 2-11pm, cause the old farts have got the morning shifts locked down. At swissport there is a lot of overtime. you'll get two days off so decide which ones you want off and leave them unchecked. don't let swissport fool you they don't give a fuck about you so if you plan on working this job get a pair of steel toed boots. I'm not sure how lenient they are with dress code at whatever airport your at but I totally shirked it for a pair of black cargo shorts and black polo shirt.as long as you have the safety vest, boots, and ear protection your good. Also I'd go get a pair a nice earmuff from the gun section of wall mart (cause y'know, where else you gonna find that stuff). You'll quickly find that wall mart if the best place on the earth. but don't worry about your fitness cause I was a fat fuck when i first start but now it aint hard anymore and you get to be around planes so thats kinda cool if your into that stuff which I am luckily.
>>
The trick is to not leave a blank space on your resume saying you were unemployed. Like for example, during my years of unemployment I took care of people pets so under title of what business I would put "Pet Sitting/Walking" then I would fill in my name, address, number etc. Other examples of this would include Lawn Care, Baby Sitting/Child Care, Uber/Liyft etc. Anything that can fill in that blank. Once an employer sees that blank they immediately throw your resume out the window. I was told that by my employer, that was the reason I was denied the first time so I went back and revised it so when they looked to see past employment history they would see that at least I was doing something even if seemed silly. You'd be surprised what works.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.