[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think my mom has stolen from me. Me, being incredibly naïve,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: i.png (140KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
i.png
140KB, 500x354px
I think my mom has stolen from me. Me, being incredibly naïve, let her hold on to my debit card. I start university and had over $10000 to pay for tuition. Almost all of it disappeared. Looking through the transactions in my account I see many purchases I didn't make. I am almost sure that my mother made those purchases without my authorisation but I don't know how to confront her about this. I'm really freaking out because now I don't have the money to pay for school.
>>
>>17518633
sucks for you
>>
>>17518633
Call your bank and tell them you've been a victim of fraud. They'll cancel the card, and they'll probably have a process in place to help you out.
But yes, ask your mom if she made any purchases on the card that you hadn't previously discussed with you. She might actually have an explanation which involves paying you back (in which case you should never lend her your card again), or your bank info might actually have been stolen by someone else.
>>
>>17518643
this

and never give anybody your card again for any reason
>>
>>17518633
Go to the bank and file a report. They will have you fill out some some paperwork and ask you if you let anyone use your debit card. If you say yes there's nothing they can do for you. If you say no they should be able to get your money back after a week or two. However, they may involve the police and if they somehow catch her charges will be placed.

So either throw your mom under the bus or she pays you back or you are just out that money and learned an expensive lesson. Don't ever hand your card to anyone. Just give them cash.
>>
Toppest of keks retard. Never give your credit card to anyone, not even your family members. Never trust anyone with your money, ever.

That being said, things aren't as bad as they seem to be. Banks can issue chargebacks (that is, you have your money back) on any transactions you want. All you have to say is that you didn't make these purchases, which is the case here.

If your mom denies doing what she did, tell her that you will do that for all these transactions, and that this is her last chance to admit if it was indeed her.
But be aware, that your mom could as well of made a very small purchase online and had the credit card information compromised unintentionally because the system she was using wasn't secure. This happens very often nowadays, especially to people who don't know how to use a computer properly.
>>
First step: go to the office of the student ombuds. NOW. Explain your situation. They may be able to help cover the school situation.

Once that's done, it's time to deal with your card. It definitely sounds like it's being used without your consent. But as of yet, we can't be sure she is the one who did it. The card could have been stolen from her, for example. There's not much sense in making accusations before you have the full information.

Where were these purchases made? Is there some way that you can verify that she (or someone close to her: a boyfriend, perhaps) suddenly has a bunch of new stuff that could have come from those places?
>>
>>17518643
>>17518646
She asked to hold onto the card because she thought I would lose it if I held onto it. Of course, me not knowing any better, agreed. Lesson definitely learned.

>>17518647
>>17518651
I'm seeing conflicting information. If I say that I gave her the card to hold onto (but did not give permission to use) can they still issue a chargeback? I'm very much not comfortable lying by omission to the bank over something serious like this.

>>17518665
I'm almost 100% sure she did it. I have the card back now and all of the transactions stopped. Most of them were withdrawals for $1000.
>>
>>17518694
>I'm almost 100% sure she did it. I have the card back now and all of the transactions stopped. Most of them were withdrawals for $1000.
That's pretty damning evidence, to be sure. The card didn't leave her possession (because you got it back), and the withdrawals definitely came from someone who knew you well. Not much doubt that she did the deed, in that case.

Next question: why did she do it? Can you rule out the possibility that someone forced her to, maybe an abusive partner or something?
>>
>>17518694
If you tell them that you gave her the card then they'll hold you responsible and odds are they will not be able to do anything for you. At least that's how it worked at the credit union I was employed.

Confront your mom, go from there.
>>
>>17518712
I doubt it was my father; he's been grilling me ever since I found out and told him. Not sure who else could have forced her to withdraw the money.
>>
>>17518725
Is your mom on this account with you?
>>
>>17518722
Yes. Talk to your mom first. If she denies it, then co-operate fully with the bank. If she confesses, then, depending on how the conversation goes, either work out how she'll pay you back, or go to your bank anyway.
>>
>>17518633
I'm so confused. How the fuck are you not freaking out. Regardless of if its your mom, that's stealing, and a lot of fucking money. How have you not confronted her?! Sounds almost for sure that she took it
>>
>>17518734
No, it's my own bank account.
>>
Dumbfuck. Claim as fraud with your bank to get your money back because you SURE AS HELL AINT getting it back from your mom. She already spent it.

>probably tried to take out alot more before it declined and decided to stop from there
>>
>>17518797
Alright then its up to you. Either you take the loss, somehow work it out with your mom, or take it to the bank.

Here's some advice, if you fold she will know that she can get away with it in the future. Make an example of her. Stealing from your own children is trailer trash shit.
>>
>>17518633
OP here. I leave for work in 10 minutes and I work tomorrow during the day. The talk might have to wait until Friday night. Thank you all for your help.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.