[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Trial shift' in France

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_France.svg.png (5KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_France.svg.png
5KB, 1280x853px
Sup /adv/. Was wondering if you could help me out with something.

I'm moving out to France to hopefully work in a bar next week. I've been offered a trial shift which is still considered 'part of the interview process' so I think this means I'm not guaranteed work after it.

Originally I was asked to come in for the trial, and it would be 2 and a half hours long just to see how I do. I have now been asked to come in 6pm-1am on both Wednesday and Thursday, amounting to 14 hours unpaid work.

Looking online at UK laws, this is completely illegal to do as a trial shift functions as something to test skills - once the work being done falls in to productive work for the employer rather than testing of skills, it is therefore illegal to not be paid. Have I understood this correctly?

Anyway, baring in mind this is UK law, I need help with French law as I'm unfamiliar with it. Is it similar, perhaps due to it being in the EU?

So far my idea is to happily commit to working the 14 hours unpaid - If I get the job, great. If I don't get the job, demand to be paid for those 14 hours.

My question is firstly is it legal or fair for me to be asked to work those 14 hours unpaid, and secondly if I do commit to doing so, can I demand to be paid if I don't get the job?

Thanks
>>
>>17518117
You'll get paid by tips, therefore it is not unpaid.
>>
>>17518117

UK laws are not valid in France. Try to find information on this policy in France.

I've worked in the industry in EU, and although it is not very legal in my country (unpaid work whatever the case) it is custom to ask for half a day to a days work as a trial to see how a person performs. Not every restaurant does this but some do. If you don't agree, you won't be considered for the job.

Where I am from, if you agree to work with no compensation, you are not entitled to pay, really.

I have only ever done this once or twice and never have I worked the whole duration of the trial shift before being hired.

I would not agree to working 2 days with no pay, in no circumstance. It might be they need an extra hand for those days and don't feel like paying for it. I would negotiate the trial shift to a shift or a half shift, if possible.
>>
File: 1432436384608.jpg (7KB, 261x174px) Image search: [Google]
1432436384608.jpg
7KB, 261x174px
If you start quoting the law at them they will simply tell you to fuck off
>>
>>17518150

That's exactly my original thought. I was told that they've had a 'couple of trial shift cancellations', but I immediately thought like you said, they want someone in to work for free.

You don't think it'll look bad if I did ask for half a shift instead? I can't think of how to word 'I don't want to work 14 hours for free, I'd rather just do the trial shift like what was firstly offered' without it sounding like I'm trying to take control. Obviously the employer is in control of the terms and I'm desperate for this job.

>>17518140

I don't think tipping is really a thing outside of the US as there's a minimum wage for all services in the EU whereas in the US there is not for waiting/bar staff?
>>
>>17518168

Keep it cool and play it nice.
You could start out with: "Hey I am a little confused about the duration of the trial shift we talked about." Then explain, that you got the impression it was just a few hours to see how you handle the work. See how they reply. You may even try and disguise it as a joke: "Don't you think you'll be able to see how I perform during a day? // Don't you have enough employees?" - depending on the situation.
If that doesn't work, try to bargain for one day max. If it seems they are holding tight on the 14 hours, ask yourself is this job is so important.

Why are you desperate for this job? Waitresses are always needed.
>>
>>17518195

Yeah that sounds like it'd work. As I have already mentioned I've had trial shifts in the past where I've been asked to come in from 5-10 and said I can go at 6, and got the job.

I just really want to live in France for a year or so. My french is pretty shit, which is why applying for an Irish bar is best where it's mostly anglophone there. This one if the only one that offered me an interview and then a trial shift.
>>
>>17518117
>>17518117
French anon here, this is illegal for them to make you work 14h without paying you
>>
>>17518248
Totally sounds like a scam.
>>
It's definitely illegal, and tipping absolutely does not exist in France
>>
>>17518248
French anon here, backing this
>>
>>17518248
Frenchfag here too, dont let them screw you it is illegal.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.