[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roommate wakes up way too early

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: 1465256916971.jpg (279KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465256916971.jpg
279KB, 600x800px
Hi /adv/. I'm having some trouble with my roommate.Before we moved in I told him I had trouble sleeping, so if he was going to get up at 7:00AM for work I didn't want to move in with him. He assured me that he would only be working Mondays and Fridays, and that I could just use earplugs for those days.

I was fine with that, but now recently he has started to work every day of the week, blaring his alarm as loud as possible, waking up at the ass crack of dawn 7:00AM to go to work. Again this would be fine but I often cannot go to sleep before 3:00-4:00AM and 3-4 hours of sleep has really started to take a toll on me. I feel like shit most of the time. Doi have a right to be mad? What can I do about this situation? I tried to use earplugs, but that alarm is loud as hell(and he often let's it ring for 40+ minutes)
>>
No you don't have any right to be mad.
>>
>>17518056
>Doi have a right to be mad?
>that my roommate has a job and I have a shitty sleep schedule?
>>
>>17518059
It not quite a shitty sleeping schedule. I mean it it shitty but it's a medical thing, I go to sleep late due to a shift in circadian rhythm. I try to manage the best I can, and it's fine to have a job but the reason I'm mad is because I warned him beforehand, and asked if it would be a problem. It's not like I'm just putting this on him out of no where
>>
>>17518063
>I mean it it shitty but it's a medical thing
I want you to be completely honest with me: it isn't, is it?
>I go to sleep late due to a shift in circadian rhythm
Here's a novel idea: shift it back, you fucking retard.
>>
>>17518070
"Be honest with me" I am you fuck. It's called DSPD, it is absolutely a real thing.why the hell would stay up to four for fun? Why would I do that to myself? And shifting it back is near impossible, and I have tried for five fucking years to change it back to what it was. I would if I could.
>>
>>17518080
>It's called DSPD
Continuing with this theme of you being honest: did a doctor tell you you had that, or did you read the Wikipedia article and decide it for yourself?
>>
>>17518056
Getting up at 7 is a totally reasonable thing to do.
Letting your alarm ring for 40 minutes is not.
>>
>>17518070

This. ^^^

Dumbest thing I've heard and I've had sleeping problems for years. It is very easy to shift your sleep patterns, starting with getting off the Internet and not using any screen based devices after say 9pm. Buy some paperbacks and learn to enjoy reading. But this won't work if FOMO rules your life.
>>
Why can't you sleep before 3-4? Too busy shitposting on 4chan and playing vidya?
>>
>>17518081
Doctor diagnosed. I'm not some tumblrite who thinks they can diagnose themselves via wikipedia, this is a actual problem. I understand it sounds dumb, but DSPD is a pretty major part of my life that I have to deal with.
>>
>>17518085
>>17518086
No guise, I have a real medical thing I diagnosed myself with. It's super cereal!
>>
>>17518056
40+ minutes? This seems suspicious... who the fuck lets an alarm go off for 40+ minutes? It's designed to get attention, so to let go off for 40 minutes, I would say this is something to be upset about.

Also, I would say you need to read up on what the fuck your problem is that you can't go to sleep like a reasonably normal person. Maybe you take things too seriously or you don't have the right perspective on life, something is up. Are you American? Sleeping problems seem to be more common to Americans, regardless of where they live. I think it's more of a culture thing. I used to be a nervous little shit complaining about sleeping problems, and even used to fall back on the "genetics" crutch since my mother and grandmother both had insomnia, depression, etc...
It took a lot of self reflecting, to figure myself out and calm the fuck down in lofe. Reading self help books will help. Watching Noah Elkrief videos on youtube helped me understand myself and calm down as well. Also, google "sleep hygiene" and see if you are following a good routine before you go to sleep or if you've actually been setting yourself up for failure.

Either way, good luck. Hopefully you and your roommate fix both your shit.
>>
>>17518085
Is it really the dumbest this you have ever heard? Really? Well lucky you. Some of us have actual problems, and no it isn't from staying up on the internet. I've heard that one a thousand times before, people cannot wrap their heads around the fact that may some people have a harder time sleeping than others.
>>
>>17518085
And to add to my post, DSPS/D is treated by getting up early and being exposed to bright sunlight. So get up at 7am and go outside for a walk. Go to bed at 9 or 10pm and read for a while. Problem solved. Yes, it's that easy.

You're welcome.
>>
>>17518086
No, not at all. Look I can understand how dumb it sounds, I get it. But I don't know what I have to do to get you to believe me, just because DSPD is rare dosen't mean it exists. Why would I make myself miserable on purpose?
>>
>>17518094
>Some of us have actual problems
And some of us want our roommates to change their entire life because we made up a disease for ourselves.
>>
>>17518089
They just make these 'syndromes' to being able to 'give you peace of mind' that you were 'right' about something not being normal(so you will think positive of the doctor to go back for any other issues), for them to prescribe 'medicine' for you to take all the time (thus increasing the doctors pockets big time), and not giving you any real way to fix it (like eye-doctors shilling expensive glasses that you buy every year instead of surgery/eye exercises that will fix most eye 'conditions').

You are just a sheppel, part of a flock of the pasture who you call doctor.

>tldr; Go try to sleep earlier and stop looking at your phone numbnuts.
>>
Have you asked him why he had his alarm clock on for 40 minutes?
>>
>>17518099
I'm sure it is for you, and that has worked for some for sure, but light therapy did not work for me. Unfortunately I could not get myself to go to sleep earlier, as I have a more severe case of DSPD. Go ahead and tell me I'm full of shit like you want too, but remember i'm not asking for your sympathy or a pity party, just asking for advice.
>>
>>17518118
He has a hard time waking up. It's understandable I guess
>>
>>17518110
>Made up disease
This is exhausting. Fuck I'm not going to keep sitting here and trying to convince you to believe me, if you don't then just fuck off.
>>
If you truly have DSPS then, by all mean, you have every right to be mad at your roommate Tell him to wear a headphone overnight or something so hes the only one can hear his alarm.
But really, you need to consult from variable sources on how to treat your disease. You just can't have a good job if your sleeping schedule's this shit.
>>
>>17518056
>I tried to use earplugs, but that alarm is loud as hell
I work in an airport, very frequently next to running jet engines. Get stronger earplugs, you whiny faggot.
>>
>>17518128
I'm going to try some expensive noise blocking headphones, and see if they will work but if not then I'll ask him to play it through headphones only. Your right, I'm actually only able to get night shifts and deadline work which isn't too bad, I don't mind it. Also thank you so much for actually listening to me man
>>
>>17518135
How about you tell me where to find these stronger headphones dickhead, instead of just insulting me.
>>
>>17518125
It isn't. subjecting your roommates to 40 minutes of alarm clock is a shitty thing to do at any hour. He could do it at 2 in the afternoon on a Saturday and it would be shitty.
>>
>>17518138
What made people hate you is your OP.
If they liked what you wrote they would be giving advice; your disorder doesn't matter it's just that they don't like you so anyhing will be used against you.

Also, i agree with >>17518145, 40m is too much 20m is borderline tops.
>>
>>17518149
I'm not sure what I did, maybe my original post was written wrong, or maybe I'm just a whiny asshole like people say. I get this kind of reaction in real life though, it's not new just disappointing.
>>
>>17518141
Man, I really wish someone would hurry up and invent the internet already.
>>
>>17518056
>What can I do about this situation?

well each day go to bed 1 hour earlier. It works! you can do it!
>>
>>17518165
I'm sure it does! For you.not for me.
>>
>>17518171
Oh, right, I forgot about your pretend sickness.
>>
>>17518158
I don't know you so i can't say what you are.

Threads here often attract mostly one type of people, it's funny to see the discrepancy of responses when somebody post the same thread on a different day.
>>
>>17518173
Grade A advice there friendo, glad this board has people like you around
>>
>>17518180
It true, depending on the day you may get ripped apart or they may side with you.it can be hard to tell how it will go
>>
What is your profession, why don't you have a job that starts at 7 like a man?
How much do you sweat in a day?
Do you work full time like a man?
Do you eat more food after dinner?
Do you eat dinner after 7pm?
Do you read books, on real paper not fuckin screens?

You don't have a disease, you don't have a syndrome. You have poor life habits and aren't living properly. This is your problem not your roommates.
>>
>>17518206
Work late shifts as of now. My sleep hygene is good, no phone before bed,no eating, reading a paperback etc but I that to maintain my 3-4 hours. It dosen't help me shift. Your right, and I'm rereading my post and I don't like the way I wrote it. It's not his fault, but not my fault either. Just is. The only reason I'm upset is because he said it was fine when I warned him before hand, but didn't tell me he would be working every day. That's totally ok, but puts me in a bind personally. If I had known he would be working every day I wouldn't have put him in this position in the first place
>>
>>17518221
Does this roommate guy seem bothered by your DSPD? I mean if he cares about you at all he wouldn't let his alarm on for 40 mins.
Also, did you try melatonin microdoses?
>>
>>17518221
>Late shifts
Gee how on earth did I guess that.
You didn't tell me what your profession is, you didn't tell me how many hours you work, you didn't tell me how much you sweat in a day.

Get a real man's job and work your ass off, sleep will come.
>>
>>17518302
Not in particular. I mean I'm sure he cares but he still does it. That's kind of a normal roommate thing, I'm not too mad but it just happens to bother me more than it would someone else due to preexisting issues
>>
>>17518113
Not him, but you realize you keep moving the fucking goalposts right? What the fuck would actually convince you he struggles with that? Probably nothing, a choir of angels could sweep down from the heavens and go "toot toot, yo this guy actually has a fucking sleep disorder, word of god, so shut the fuck up". You'd go "nah he's just making excuses because I don't have mental problems so obviously we're all in perfect control of our minds, what a bunch of sheeple hehehe".

In that case I hope you get struck by lightning.
>>
>>17518113
>muh redbull
>>
File: 1471710732953.jpg (52KB, 613x613px) Image search: [Google]
1471710732953.jpg
52KB, 613x613px
Wake up before his alarm goes off. Start cooking some scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. Bring it to his bedside on a platter with orange juice. Undo his pants and start blowing him. Once he wakes up and cums ask him politely if he can stop blaring his alarm on a daily basis.
>>
You're the one with an issue OP. 7 isn't even early, that's just normal. My dad used to wake up at 4 am every day, which is a hell of a lot healthier and more constructive than your retarded permavirgin gaymer internet addict disorder of a sleep schedule. I wake up naturally between 6 and 7, no alarm needed. The SUN IS UP so it is NORMAL for humans to wake up at that time.

>>17518080

Somehow no one until the modern age when electronics were invented ever accidentally a nocturnal.

Shut your computer down and go the fuck outside.

>>17518171

Speshul snowflaek syndrome.
>>
>>17518369
I have said 5 different times I am the one with the problem. We have established this. But since you wake up at 6 or 7 everyone must normally do that right? It's not possible that maybe, just maybe not everyone is on the same sleep schedule or that I actually could have a circadian rhythm disorder. I mean you don't have one so no one can have one, right? You can only see from your point of view.
And you plain wrong about sleep disorders being only a modern thing. Sure they are exacerbated by technology, but this is not a new problem.
>>
>>17518369
Yes, people are all the same. What works for 1 person will, necessarily, work for everyone, except for people who intentionally make things difficult.
Go fuck yourself.
Not OP
>>
>>17518399

>just because calorie restriction worked for you to lose weight doesn't mean it would work for me
>I'm special
>laws of reality don't apply to me
>because reasons

That is how retarded you sound.
>>
>>17518424
That's a piss poor analogy. "Law of reality"? Really? The other poster had a severe lack of perspective, because he wakes up at 7 I'm supposed to be able too as well? Just because your too stupid to understand that other people have different experiences dosen't make him retarded.
>>
At this point I don't even know that guy is baiting or just straight up being an ass to OP.
>>
File: 9af.png (878KB, 1192x905px) Image search: [Google]
9af.png
878KB, 1192x905px
I almost feel bad for OP at this point.

OP, just talk to your roommate and politely ask him to use a quieter alarm. If that doesn't work, talk to someone who can switch you out of there.
>>
>>17518476
Is there a difference?
Does it matter?
>>
>>17518503
Thank you for the help,im planning on talking to him when he gets back from work.
And yeah, this thread was brutal. I regret posting
>>
late-sleeperfag here, I would love to be able to agree with the people saying "just adjust your schedule!" but seriously, not everybody can, at least not forever. you can do it for a while but for some people it regresses. I had terrible quality sleep when I tried to have a "normal" sleep schedule. not as bad as when I worked graveyard shift, but it wasn't good. I've worked a variety of shifts and had a variety of sleep schedules. I do seem to do best with a second-shift schedule. OP might be making excuses or he might actually have a thing. it's hard to tell over the internet. either way, idk why everybody wants to fling salt all over the thread over something like this.

>>17518056
OP it's not a matter of whether you have a right to be mad or not. I mean, in a very real sense, you have the right to feel however you feel. honestly I'd probably be pretty mad too. but that's not the real issue here. the real issue is sleep habit incompatibility and what you have a right to ask for from your roomie. unfortunately he probably needs a loud alarm - and that job - as much as you need your sleep schedule.

some people just end up with incompatible needs. if you can't convince him to use a quieter alarm, it's probably not gonna work out with you two as roommates. sorry man. and good luck, I hope you get some sleep. I could sure fucking use some, I know that.
>>
I thought you were being unreasonable till you said he lets the alarm ring for 40 minutes. Talk too him about it
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.