[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Incoming wall of text, the life of an anon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1469741562674.jpg (105KB, 750x960px) Image search: [Google]
1469741562674.jpg
105KB, 750x960px
So, /adv/ I have a question. I'm going to be 21 in December, and I'm starting to look into going to college. Yes, I will be a Freshman. I already know that CC will probably be my best bet then just transfer out, so I'd like to just state that before I continue.

Anyway, I did absolute shit in High School. Like graduating at the bottom of my class shit. My grades ranged anywhere between solid A+'s to incompletes. I was in various CP classes, and some Honor classes only because it was a small school and the teachers and counselors knew that I wasn't a driveling idiot,(I just had no interest or self-motivation) so they gave me a shot. I also got a 1600something on my SAT going in blind, rawdogging it.

My initial plan was to wait a year or two, work, and find myself before going to college... which would be CC so I can start from a clean slate. But life happened, I ended up out on my ass and homeless a year after I graduated highschool but worked a pretty comfy job that paid little but enough for me to survive. Which I had recently lost. Now, I am aware of special occasions with four years accepting people for a myriad of different reasons other than the statistical bullshit they preach on their admissions pages. Varying things decide this and it's almost by chance, so I decided "Why the fuck not?" and apply to four years to see what happens. Now, my question is as someone who's not right out of HS how the fuck do I even manage that? Just let me pull a recommendation letter out of my non-existent principal's asshole. I can't find any information on where to start. On top of it, would Anon think that it would make an impressionable essay to introduce myself by the hardships I faced as a young adult blind in the world, setting myself straight with no outside help, and touch on my aspirations to close it up tying in whatever the fuck I learned about living in my car and starving half the time until I could find a place to stay in a disgustingly expensive area?
>>
>>17517546
Continued

Also, yes, my family is dirt poor... and no they cannot help me in anyway besides giving proof that my father or mother currently has no income on the FAFSA. Would it also be an advantage if I were or were not a minority? I feel as if I were swarthy it'd help me even more.
>>
>>17517550
dude, you had it right when you said you were gonna go to CC and make a fresh start then transfer over to a four year

do that, it's there exactly for people in your situation
>>
>>17517546
Professor writing here.

Things are not as bleak as you may feel. First of all, you are not alone. Colleges are used to encountering people who screwed up as teenagers and are now getting their act together, and they are sympathetic and supportive.

Second, your age is not an issue. College isn't just for 18 year olds any more, and probably at least 25% of the undergrads will actually be older than you (and thus graduating in your mid-20s won't be unusual or a handicap).

Now, your biggest problem is the lousy high school record and lack of references. Were there ANY teachers you did well for and who would remember you? It might be worth writing them, reminding them who you are and what you did ("You might remember the paper I wrote on XX that you said had original ideas. I can send you a copy if it will help") to get reference letters from them.

If not, you will need your HS transcript of grades, and you can use part of your essay to explain where you were mentally then and how you've changed.

That said, a year in a CC is still a good idea, to establish your fresh grown-up identity and achievement. In some states, transfer from a CC to one of the state universities is guaranteed.
>>
File: 1472363410301.jpg (66KB, 575x523px) Image search: [Google]
1472363410301.jpg
66KB, 575x523px
>>17517546
Not everyone needs to go to college to get an opportunity to a good paying career.

Have you considered learning a skilled trade?

http://profoundlydisconnected.com
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/11/24/reviving-blue-collar-work-5-benefits-of-working-in-the-skilled-trades/
http://mikerowe.com
>>
>>17517663
Yeah, CC isn't wiped off the board I will definitely go. Probably take classes in the summer and stack up as many credits as possible, I just am pondering the idea of going to a four year right away if the possibility is there. (I've been doing hard thinking and planning for every possible outcome for how to set up my future) Even if I do get to a four year, it likely wouldn't be anything to write home about, so I will eventually transfer out to another school that can better fit my needs for the last two years. Mainly for the reason I know I can't get into a top school as is but I am confident in my prowess that I can get into a top school eventually. The four year thing first is mainly something to aspire to while I search for a job in the meantime.

>>17517688
>Now, your biggest problem is the lousy high school record and lack of references.

And lo, such is the crux that I have nailed myself to. I really have no explanation for my lousy performance other than misguidance, brought from having not the best home situation (for all of my life), and later finding that I had crippling depression. Which thankfully hasn't hit me as hard as it once did. As for the recommendations I have two teachers on my mind, both Spanish teachers though, and my Guidance Counselor who was my English teacher shortly. Other than that most teachers would just say, "Yeah he didn't do shit, but he was smart". Most of my teachers knew what I was capable of, and things such as how I am passionate about writing. Though academically, not much to write home about.
>>
Op still
>>17517713
Anonbro I've thought of a lot of things, I am looking into skilled trades and I've done quite some research on various fields. Joining the military to pick up a skill (such as a jet mechanic as a Marine) is something I have and still am highly considering, though more or less as a fall back. My closest friend is working blue collar with a natural gas company (40k starting), and his father in the same field- rose from Operations Tech I to Manager of an entire plant in about two decades. I do acknowledge the legitimacy of those opportunities. It's just a larger part of me is thirsting for knowledge and learning, then taking something I have learned that I'm truly interested by and running with it to make a living.

Thanks for the responses though, anons. Dunno if you'll see mine or be back to reply, but I do appreciate it.
>>
>>17517896
I went to college and I tell you that there isn't anything that you can't learn from books instead.

Do you want to be in debt that much? I know you're probably itching for the "college life" which I'm pretty sure is getting drunk and fucking dumb sluts. You can do that without going to college though.

Well at the end of the day you're responsible for your own life, do as you see fit but don't waste an opportunity when it's there in front of you.
>>
>>17517918
Very valid truth, yes. I shouldn't be in debt for learning something, when I already do that on a regular basis. Hell, I've started to watch lectures online. They just make me want to be at college even more, in actuality. As for getting drunk and fucking dumb sluts, that's something I definitely can do and do without college. Also going to friends' colleges to party is easy. That's not enough to warrant me to go into debt.
>>
>>17517948
If you want to study college courses for free

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=engineering&subcat=computerscience
>>
>>17517956
Why thank you anon, and how appropriate that the link is already on CS. I am on Week 2 of HarvardX cs50.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.