[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scholarships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1449547168556.jpg (20KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
1449547168556.jpg
20KB, 500x259px
wew

I'm starting school at a 4 year uni next fall with my major being in STEM.

I am broke as shit and will not be able to afford the $36k/year tuition. Is it possible to have scholarships pay for almost all of that?

I'll put in the work, I'll get my grades high, but is it doable?
>>
You don't have anything from FAFSA?
>>
>>17516746
FAFSA will cover about $4k, but I can't start the application for the '17-'18 so I'm estimating.
>>
Apply to every scholarship you could think of even ones you don't think you can get. The beauty of scholarships is that you're the only one that applies to it you'll get it. It seems like you're a hs senior so spend a lot of your time working and applying. Do your FAFSA early since you'll get more. Also apply for work study. It's entirely possible just don't fuck around
>>
>>17516804
I'm a CC transfer, but essentially the same thing since I only have 15 credits.

Will do, I'll be sure to apply to everything. Are there any sites to go about looking for scholarships?
>>
Why the fuck do kids go to college when they can't fucking afford it

I just don't get the reasoning at all

Torture yourself for 4 years and be poor, then MAYBE get a decent job? Especially in fucking stem. You retards have no idea how many people are in stem programs and will fill job slots WAY before you can get the chance.
>>
>>17517628
vegas.
>>
>>17517634
Yeah much like college these days, Vegas is similar in the sense when you leave you most likely lost a bunch of money and regret going.
>>
>>17517628
This. I just don't get this American mentality where you HAVE to go to college regardless of whether you can afford it or not. It makes a lot more sense in places where the fees are cheaper and student loans at low or nil interest rates are more accessible, but Americans seem to have normalised being thousands in debt that you have a VERY small chance of paying off while living a balanced life before you're even got yourself a proper job.
>>
>>17516740
>STEM
>next fall
>$36k/year

lol a bit too late ?

For that amount of money I'm afraid you'd have to compete with a huge pool of applicants, (international and local).

Read the first answer in this link for reference
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Carnegie-Mellons-admissions-yield-so-low

You might think the university you are applying to is safe because it's not an elite school, but who knows what the Chinese guy who wants to study in America at all cost picked in his 20 applications.

You have one year left, how much can you improve your record ? Are you already an Olympian ? One way to get to your goal is to become a top scorer in super elite competitions like USAMO within this duration, or something equivalent in other fields, which I have to tell you hard work is simply not enough.

So take a look at these problems, if you can solve 30% of them I'd say your effort won't be futile:
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/community/c13_contest_collections
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/community/c6_high_school_olympiads
>>
>>17517628
Unlike most STEM majors, I plan to intern and get job exp. before I even graduate.

But I understand you. I'm 21, I see a lot of my friends experiencing not the college life, and it looks Bretty cool. If not now, then when? I see it as its better for me to do it now then later on when I'm 36.
>>
>>17517708
Eh, he could probably do it. He just needs to apply all the time
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.