[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diet and exercise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 10373.gif (11KB, 400x187px) Image search: [Google]
10373.gif
11KB, 400x187px
Hey /adv/ this is my first time making a thread, because I'm at my wit's end. I'm in terrible physical shape and health and it's beginning to take a toll mentally. I'm not morbidly obese or anything but I'm definitely overweight, despite going to the gym once-twice a week, and I've got some high blood pressure that I need to fix. I know it's pretty much entirely due to how I eat, but I just can't fix it. Every time I've tried to do something to eat better I've always backslid in some way.

I know it's in large part due to my job (IT in an office building) and current living situation (no car, roommate that is much more lax about unhealthy food habits) but I just feel like I can't eat well. Even trying to do shit like eat at "healthier" fast food places falls through.

I just don't know what my options are, and I feel like if I do anything too drastic I'm just going to backslide again. I just want to fix myself to have some damn self control.

I'm seriously scared that one of these days I'm going to go to bed and not wake up because I had a heart attack or something. Give me something, anything that I can do.
>>
Cold turkey is hard. But you'll have to make sacrifices if you want to lose weight. Start by doing the easiest thing: give up sodas and fruit juices.
Most fruit juices have added sugars. If you want fruit juice, eat a fruit. Drinking mostly water will help you in a long run.

As for food, learn how to cook. There's no such thing as healthy food at a fast food place. Fuck, even their salads have more calories than their burgers.

What do you usually buy to eat? How much money can you put into groceries per week? How badly do you want to lose weight?
>>
Try veganism. No joke it will begin to help you super quickly. It is also very motivating if you think about how awful the lives of livestock are and what it would be like if that was your life. I have never been able to follow any kind of diet in the past for more than a week or so, but Ive been able to stay with veganism for around 6 months now. Its really not as hard as you think it would be, just no meat and no dairy. Also if you like to binge eat like me, binging on fruits and veggies has like 0 side effects besides feeling way too full.
>>
>>17513595

And I've lost around 30 lbs in that time with no added exercise. There was a few weeks when I caved on some cheese because I love cheese and gained back 10 lbs, but I'm working it back off now.
>>
>>17513595
I was about to suggest that but it might be hard for OP. I do agree that simply getting rid of meat and dairy has done a tremendous job of making my body feel better. I've been a vegan for over 2 months and it feels like I'm not dieting. I cook pizza, curry, pastas, chili, soups, etc.

OP, if anything, try eliminating dairy if you can't do meat. Dairy is useless to us and is full of fat. What people say about milk giving us strong bones is false. Most of what our bones need are already in the foods we eat and our bones cant absord more calcium than we need.
We can get much more calcium in dark leafy greens than we do milk anyways, plus it's healthier.
>>
>>17513592
I admittedly have cut my soda intake by a lot. I don't usually drink fruit juice but kicking soda is hard because it's just as much about the caffeine as the sugar, and coffee just doesn't work for me plus I'd probably put sugar in it anyway.

I don't cook much at all, so it's a lot of takeout (which I absolutely recognize is the main issue) and quick shit. Money's not an issue considering I'd almost definitely be saving money by cooking on my own. But then you get into prep time and stuff and having to cook for the next day every night and shit just falls apart for me.

>>17513595
I appreciate the sentiment but if I can barely keep a sensible diet going veganism isn't going to really change much I feel. Plus I don't have any moral feelings with regards to animals so that won't motivate me.
>>
>>17513614
Giving up soda is hard. But once you do, you'll never go back.
Would you be willing to try to cook and prep on your days off?
I get tired after work too, but I come home, change clothes to run at 10pm and I get home and showered by 12pm to prepare dinner.
On my off days, I cook and then portion and store my Tupperware in the fridge for when I am too lazy to cook.

Also, what do you snack on?
>>
>>17513614
Well thats weird, wtf. You could just think of yourself then. Look up videos on anatomy and what the body needs to sustain life and how it used what we put into it to function. Taking a college anatomy class really opened my eyes into what the body actually needs. If you can think of your body in a systematic way, its almost like youre just fueling a machine.

plus the fake meat is kind of expensive so it makes you want to eat less of it to save money lmao
>>
>>17513625
There was a time where I was "off soda" for a good couple of months but just one bad day and bam I was back on it.

I'd be down for meal prep, but I'm not sure how to even go about that, and if I end up eating the same meal every day I'll lose my shit.

I don't snack particularly often, though I've occasionally gone on junk food kicks, but that's once a month tops. I do occasionally get sunflower seeds but given the sodium content I should curtail that as well.
>>
Baby steps. I know for me I can just cold turkey and be miserable for 2-3 weeks but others are different. Each week set a goal. Cut something off like soda or candy or fast food, etc. Slowly gain ground and you'll get your diet under control. As for fitness I recommend either working with a personal trainer/class for even a brief time or find a friend/coworker who will go with you routinely. Peer pressure is a powerful tool and it's a lot easier to skip a workout when you are by yourself as opposed to when someone is depending on you to show up.
>>
>>17513636
Oh yeah, I feel you. I don't get soda if I eat out or go grocery shopping though. Even when it's in my fridge because my sisters drink it, I don't. It just takes a lot of will power. You can have it once in a while but don't malet it a habit.

And if you don't want to cook every night, you really can't be picky about eating the same thing for 3-4 days lol. The key is to cook something delicious.
I'm the kind of girl that loves to eat anything lol. I can make a hardy vegan soup that lasts for 3 days and still enjoy it.
I do still recommend eliminating dairy from your diet though. It will help you tons.
>>
>>17513648
Adding some bits to this I forgot, the two hardest parts of getting in shape are: 1.) at the beginning when its completely miserable and you aren't used to being winded/sore and 2.) when the novelty wears off. Power through those times and it becomes second nature almost like brushing your teeth/walking a dog.

For your diet and exercise find something to motivate you. In the shittiest times when your muscles are failing or you are craving pizza you can think about that instead. For me I had just gotten out of a shit relationship so I thought about who I'd meet next, for you it might be the myriad of compliments you get for looking healthier/better, a boost in self esteem, etc. Whatever keeps you going.
>>
>>17513664
Honestly I've been going to the gym twice a week with a friend(barring some unforeseen circumstances) and doing some heavy lifting for over a year now. (I'm very close to my goal of benching 2 plates among other stuff) It's really not the exercise part that's a problem for me. But the good eating habits are hard especially when you've been a "guy who likes to eat" even as a kid. (Though back then my metabolism let me get away with it)

I dunno I guess I can just get like a fuckton of chicken breasts and veggies and do something there? I'm fucking stupid when it comes to cooking.
>>
Just remember not to put shit on your food. Cheese, cream, dressings, etc. You can have healthy pizza with minimal oil and lots of veggies, but the minute you dump all that ranch on it, it's over.
>>
>>17513682
If you are trying to lose weight I would focus a lot more on cardio than weight lifting. I would also try to shoot for exercising 3-4 days a week as a short term goal. If possible, walking to work/school is a really easy/efficient way to burn calories.

One thing that helped me with my diet (I'm the same way I love eating) is that I started to cook on my own. There's a lot of good/healthy recipes you can learn and you can even turn it into a hobby. I found a lot of the good tasting stuff through experimentation with different spices, etc but there's a ton of sources out there as well.

The other thing I would say is that though it may be annoying, calorie counters help a lot. Again I kind of turned it into a hobby like playing games where I tried to maximize how much I could eat while hitting my calorie goal. When you do that you find yourself eating a lot more vegetables and stuff than you normally would haha...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.