[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

resume gap or shady work experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 4596eb-400-border-300x300.gif (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4596eb-400-border-300x300.gif
20KB, 300x300px
I used to work at a shop run by some old guy, that was later accused of scams and fraud, and has recently left the town. I have no way to contact him but even so I don't really want anything to do with that guy.
The thing is, if I don't include this in my resume I can't justify a 2 year gap that would look like I was pretty much a NEET in those years.
Should I not include it since I can't prove I worked there?
>>
>>17513084

just be upfront and bring up the shadiness if they ask to speak to a reference
>>
>>17513091
Oh boy that's gonna be hard and awkward to explain. I don't want to bore my employers or accidentally come off as judgemental or weird. But I guess it's better tha pretending I've been doing nothing then.
Otherwise should I cover those years up by saying that instead I wasn't working but I was at home teaching some high school subjects to teens? That doesn't require references right? And I guess it's sort of some value for time.
>>
Are gaps like this in resumes really that big of a deal? What if you just said you wanted to take a year off or something? Are they really going to judge you that hard?
>>
>>17513238
I don't know. I hope not. I can sort of extend the college years to cover that gap up since I was registered in college then (I dropped out from college for 1 year and a half, that was mega stupid).
I'm just worried about the fact that I'm 24 and never really worked if you don't count that job but I guess that's not a huge issue.
>>
>>17513084
>Should I not include it since I can't prove I worked there?
You mean you got paid cash and didn't pay taxes? And your boss is the shady one?
>>
>>17513298
Hey it's not like my employers are gonna suddenly know I've been getting cash I can't back up, right?
How would they know I got paid "without having a job"? If that's what you mean.
Unless you mean the fact that I worked unregistered (and I don't know how you guessed that), but that's quite common in my country for first jobs so it wouldn't be a big problem.
>>
>>17513298
wait I got what you mean now, oops
>>
>>17513149
I dont understand how you mean? You can still put the work experience on your resume and describe your responsibilities. If they then inquire about contact info then provide it. If it feels prudent then preface it with the reality that he likely wont answer. If on the other hand you dont, worst case scenario then he just wont answer when they call.
>>
>>17513319
I guess. But the guy could answer and make something up or say he didn't own the shop or something. I mean I don't think he's trust worthy and he could lie, I'm worried about that. I could give the employers a fake phone or ask a friend for help to answer it and pretend to be him but that sounds overkill for this.
>>
>>17513325
this assuming I can somehow find him or get his phone
>>
>>17513319
I also mean, would it be a problem to put work experience I can't back up with a phone or reference? Only my mother knows I worked there besides the guy that owned the shop and his son who was kind of a nutjob.
>>
>>17513325
No, dont give a fake number and impersonate. I would recommend finding a disconnected number (anything that says the number you have dialed, blah, blah, blah) and give them that if you are desperate. With that said, i think you are better off being honest. The risk you run of skirting it under the rug or hoping for the best is what you described, him lying. Though truly, i doubt he has an amount of invested interest to answer the phone on behalf of a company he was arrested for running improperly let alone taking out his frustration on a single employee, you, who i assume was damn well good enough at their job.

>>17513337
I do not know what line of work you are in but in my experience they almost never call references nor past employers. It totally depends on your previous job but think of a way you can demonstrate your knowledge beyond a third party. Again this is tough to help you figure out when im not sure what you do.
>>
>>17513325
List the experience but say that the shop is closed and that you do not have the recent / correct contact info for the previous owner.
>>
>>17513325
>>17513357
Anyway, if you don't provide this dude as a reference, it's unlikely any employer will ask. Just provide other, legitimate references.
>>
>>17513348
Thanks! Well basically i'm looking for programming or data entry jobs mostly. At that shop I was simply a cashier (though the shop didn't give out tickets after the sales, but that's common here).
Yes the job is unrelated to what I'm looking for but at this age I'm a bit worried of having an empty work exp. part in the resume.
>>
honesty is valued and HR peeps can sniff out whetyer you are making shut up or not, so your best bet is to tell the truth.
>>
>>17513384
>>17513357
>>17513359
This. And I sincerely think that who ever is hiring will have some empathy for crappy situations so long as you present yourself as a sane and healthy(mentally) individual.
>>
>>17513298
What's wrong with being paid in cash?
Your politicians pay their prostitutes in cash, so what's the problem?
>>
Thanks. I hope they don't think I'm making it up since I can't provide a reference. Though I guess if I were to make something up I would have picked a better job.
Either way they are only going to ask me stuff like "what did you learn there?" right? I didn't really learn anything besides maybe interacting with customers.
>>
>>17514590
Just say enough of the truth so it sound believable, you worked for 2 years at the place, but decline if they if they ask if it's okay to call the previous place because he moved out of the state.
>>
>>17513084

Just pay me $40 to impersonate the reference.
>>
>>17514590
Yeah I mean you really did work there so it's not like you have to pull off hiding something; you'll be able to answer questions about the job you really had.

When someone's bullshitting an entire job (like I used to do in interviews) it's usually pretty obvious.

PROTIP: if it's a data entry job you're trying to get you may want to say you did service writing/entering codes too.
>>
>>17513084
Just tell future employers the situation. There's no point in lying you idiot.
>>
>>17514590
Say you've learned how to deal with people in a friendly and constructive manner. Then say you know how to stock, work a register, ensure workspace cleanliness, manage tasks appropriately etc. you're a dumbass faggot btw
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.