[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got my first speeding ticket in my life, for going 51

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: speeding-ticket-614mz080210.jpg (58KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
speeding-ticket-614mz080210.jpg
58KB, 800x450px
I just got my first speeding ticket in my life, for going 51 in a 35. The cops were just standing in the middle of the road pulling over every car going down the road. Got the cars in front of me, me, and at least one car behind me.

I feel like it was a speed trap and I was following the flow of traffic, so I'm pissed and considering fighting it, but I don't want to end losing even more money for court costs.

I lawyer sent me this in an email:
That ticket will fall into the downtown jurisdiction, which is probably the most advantageous. Basically what I do is charge a fee of $99 to represent folks with moving violations. I will challenge the case in court on your behalf, so you will not need to appear in court, and basically one of two things will happen. either the case will be entirely dismissed, meaning the judge throws it out, so there would be no points or fines or cost of any kind. It would be deleted as if it never existed. About half of the cases I handle are dismissed in that manner. If I am unable to get the case dismissed, the judge will delete the fine, delete the points, delete a requirement for driving school, and you only pay court costs. Court cost start at $93 and the judge will look at two things to determine if he's going to add to that. First I think he will look at is the speed. In this case, I believe he would add an additional $60 because of your speed. The next thing he will look at is your driving history. If this is your first ticket, then he would not add anything to the costs. So basically, the end result should be about the same as the initial ticket if it is not dismissed with the exception that you would not be required to take a four hour driving course."

Is this fucker trying to scam me? What he says makes no sense to me. Even if he lost the case they would still drop the ticket and the driving school?

Should I just fucking pay the $260 ticket and get it over with?
>>
I feel bad for the lawyer because times are pretty desperate for law school grads, but you can deal with a traffic ticket yourself.
>>
>>17512204
>I feel like it was a speed trap and I was following the flow of traffic
Are you implying that it's OK to break the law if others are doing it? Speed limits are clearly marked, pay attention to them in the future. Speeding tickets are called the stupidity tax for a reason.

And yes just pay the ticket, learn your lesson and move on.
>>
>>17512231

Driving slower than flow of traffic is actually dangerous than speeding because it causes tailgating and passing.

I don't want to pay it unless it's cheaper than going to court. I just don't believe what this lawyer is saying and was wondering if someone might know what he's talking about.
>>
>>17512282
No it isn't, if someone wants to pass you they can go around, and if they get into an accident because they didn't check their mirrors or they were too close to the next car to brake in time then that's their own damn fault. You also ignored that driving above the speed limit puts pedestrians at much greater risk.

Go ahead and tell the judge that you breaking the law actually made everyone safer, I'm sure he'll agree.
>>
>>17512300
>>17512300

Jesus christ what a fucking faggot. Way to completely ignore the question being asked to be a sanctimonious douchebag. I'm actually acquaintances with a retired judge, I'll just forward the email to him and ask what he thinks.
>>
>>17512407
Actually I'm a cop. And I did give you advice which you immediately ignored. You asked if you should just pay the ticket, I said yes. Stop trying to justify criminal behavior or this will be far from your last ticket. You really want to make this a common problem?
>>
>>17512231
>you're the dick that goes 100 on the highway that everyone is passing
>>
>>17512453
No, the highway is different from a 35/mph area, but there are multiple lanes for a reason. If getting stuck behind someone going the speed limit on the highway is too much for you then just go around, it's not hard.
>>
>>17512516
Not always feasible. Get stuck behind someone going much slower than everyone else and you won't be able accelerate to traffic speed before the guy coming from behind slams into you.

To OP, paying the ticket is generally easier and just be mindful of obvious speed traps(changing speed limits multiple times in short distances, unusually low limits, and really low limits on steep hills)and keep it below 10 over all other times in the future.
>>
>>17512204
yeah its a scam. he says "oh everyones case gets dismissed". he didnt even ask if you would like to come.
>>
>>17512204
Forget the lawyer. Get a shirt and tie and go to court. Talk to the DA, who most likely has a stack of dumb shit like yours and is just itching to get to his next smoke break.

Tell him your situation, just as you described it in this thread, and ask him to dismiss it entirely. Tell him you're studying to become a dick sucking DA just like him and that getting any blemishes on your clean record would ruin your chances at leeching the system for the rest of your adult retirement.

He'll either toss it or keep it and you have to pay some dumb ass fine and get a few points on your shit that actually mean nothing and will go away in a year or two. Big fucking deal.
>>
As a law student, this makes no sense to me. There's no way that a judge would dismiss it either way and only order you to pay court costs, that makes no fucking sense. Why would they bother with a court case in the first place
>>
>>17512204
Just pay it OP. I got one for going 96 in a 55 when I was much younger and it was only like $550. I am sure yours will only be like $300 or something.
>>
>>17512993
These generally don't go to trial. Your first court "appearance" or the date listed on the ticket is not a trial date. It's to figure out if you are going to take it that far.

Traffic court is usually administered by some poor bastard first year DA that is paying his dues doing grunt work. They sometimes have a judge on site just as a formality so if you decide you want to take it to trial (and the DA refuses to drop the case) you can get a continuance date so they have time to subpeona the police officer. This RARELY happens at such a low level, and even then, on the continuance date, the officer is likely a 50/50 no-show.

This is all common knowledge among traffic lawyers, thus the email response he got. The laywer is just offering to show up for him, for a fee. He isn't 100% sure of the outcome because he probably doesn't give a shit about the details of the case, but he knows there is a good chance it will get dismissed whether he does anything or not. He's not actually gonna do any work, he's just going to show up that day with the names of several of his clients that he is representing and hand the DA a stack of their paperwork and either bargain for lesser charges, or file a motion for continuance for trial hoping to bluff the court system. (if he even goes that far and doesn't just tell his client "sorry, can't do anything")
>>
>>17513006
DON'T just pay it. Go to court. They expect you to just pay it.
>>
I don't know where you live, but I live in Nevada and the traffic court will pretty much gloss over your ticket if you pay an attorney. What they don't like is if a lay-person goes to court to say that that they didn't do anything.
>>
>>17512720
while that's potentially true I think you're overstating the problem, even when stuck behind someone going the speed limit you can always get into the faster lane pretty quick
>>
>>17512204
>I'm pissed because I break the law and cops got me
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>17513029
Occasionally you get lucky and the officer doesn't show up, but more often than not you will still have to just pay it anyway.
>>
>>17512204
Wouldn't a lawyer cost more? Just pay the damn ticket, not worth the trouble.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.