[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American who has never really traveled here. I just finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Abyss.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
Abyss.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
American who has never really traveled here. I just finished school in July with a B.S. in physics and minors in math and econ. I've been offered a year-long internship for a lab in in Vienna.

I really want to do it, and it sounds like a pretty perfect fit. I'd love to go to Austria, and it's an English speaking facility, so I don't need to worry about being completely fluent. And the position itself looks good.

Thing is, since it's an internship, the pay is only 14,000 Euros for the year.

I don't know if I can make this work. I'm not a materialist person, I don't drink or do drugs or go shopping or have any expensive hobbies, but 14,000 (which according to google is about $15,500) is cutting it really close. I probably spent less than that living in an apartment in college, but this is a foreign country, and I really have no idea what the costs of living are or what unexpected expenses I'd run into.

I could ask my parents for money, and they'd give it to me, but I'd really rather not. It's kind of a let-down, I think, to finish school, and think "Yay, I'm independent, I'm on my own" and then have the first thing I do is ask my parents for more money.

The facility offers full-time positions,and I'll apply to them, but all of them ask for at minimum two years of experience, which I obviously don't have. I guess I might get lucky, but it's definitely not something to count on.

I really want to go oversees, but I'm just not sure this is a good idea, particularly when I could find a $60,000 or more position somewhere here in the states.

Advice?
>>
You're expected to fully cover your living costs? I understand your hesitancy. You should ask the people offering the internship about it; students (even foreigners) in the EU usually qualify for a government stipend when they pay their own rent - I know it's considered an internship but there still might be a program where you would have an additional source of income from the government.

Also, look online for apartment listings in the area just to get a general feel for how much your living expenses will be.

I've lived in Europe and visited Vienna - it is a beautiful city and living abroad was a life changing experience. Highly recommended. Congrats OP
>>
>>17511758

I'll take a look at that, but I think the 14,000 might be from the government in the first place. The lab's website mentions they don't fund the internships themselves.

But assuming all I do get is the 14,000, would you say it's still a good idea?
>>
>>17511866
Not the same guy, but being that your capable enough to get this internship in the first place, just do a cost of living analysis on the area. Calculate how much a year you need to live there, and if the 14,000 doesn't cover it and you can't cover the rest with saving or a part time job, I'd say deny it, only because it truly isn't feasible for you.
>>
>>17511729
Sup man. I'm living in Vienna, you can ask me almost anything. Vienna isn't a cheap city, however, every district isn't the same. An example, while a kebab costs around 2,50€ in 16. district, it's much more likely to be around 3,20€ in 19. or 1. districts. However, you can eat a meal for 3€. (A pack of sandwiches, a smoothie)

Your house's bills depends on where you rent it. If you rent a house near train/tram stations, it's more likely to be cheaper because of the noise etc etc.

You can ask me anything and I'll try to answer it somehow man!
>>
>>17511970

Simple and easy, then. How much money does it take to live somewhere that's at least clean? I can accept someplace small, but I don't want to live in a shithole that's falling about.
>>
>>17512022
As long as you're avoiding the 10th and 16th districts like a plague, you should be okay. A lot of districs have that "lonely" and "depressing" look and feel, you just have to get used to it. (I quite like it.)

Apartments here are mostly very small but that shouldn't bother you. You just have to reorganize everything. Most of the buildings are being restored since they are built in 19. or 20. century. And if you really act smart, you can find couple nice, clean and restored apartments for like 400€, 500€. You can also share a house with someone who's willing to share it and share the bills with the person.

You said that it's an internship. I don't really know the system, but does your pay increase over time?
>>
>>17512076

Nope. It's 2000 up front and 1000 a month for a year.

Do you know if what >>17511758 said has any truth to it? I would probably qualify as a student, so does the government provide any programs or anything for that?
>>
>>17512076

Oh, but I should say, if I like it there's a good chance I'll be able to sign up for another position once my contract is up for full pay and benefits. Plus, I expect to be fluent within six months, so even if that doesn't work out, I would likely be applying to other places in the area.
>>
>>17512149
Man I always heard something such as the government gives you a bit amount of money but I never really investigated it, sorry about that. The chances are big though! You can always try. For extra weed money you can sign up for a saturday job where you mostly do small things and get 70€ - 150€ a day.

I think you really should try coming here and living for at least a year. I doubt you will not like it since you have lots of chances of applying for another jobs.
>>
This is an opportunity you really need to seize. Shit like this is the best sort of thing you can do with your life.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.