[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started college, but have not decided on a major. I was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: d42g4.jpg (108KB, 1070x898px) Image search: [Google]
d42g4.jpg
108KB, 1070x898px
I just started college, but have not decided on a major. I was wondering what I should choose. I'm interested in computers and I've attempted (never finished) to make a few games in Java and Javascript/Html. I'm thinking about computer science, but every time I mention this people just tell me it's overrated. Also I'm shit at science and I have to take 2 semesters of physics and chemistry both with lab. I also do not enjoy theory.

I'm also curious of what you guys took, how long it took to graduate, if the major was hard, and if you regret it.
>>
Current English major. Don't completely buy into the STEM meme; there's truth to the fact that it's harder to get a job w/ a "shit tier" degree, but that's not all college is about. Try some stuff out, even classes outside of your comfort zone, and you'll figure it out. Though, don't wait too long--you want to graduate on time
>>
File: 1519762.png (51KB, 250x293px) Image search: [Google]
1519762.png
51KB, 250x293px
>>17511686

ComSci is what you make of it.

If you're doing
>Side work
>Internships (start looking in freshman year winter for these hard, places like Facebook and Google specifically have programs for freshman who want their foot in the door and are willing to do a little self study. If you can pass a basic technical interview, one of these will give you a huge leg up over your classmates later),
>research
>club involvement (there's 100% a game making club, 95% an ACM or related computing club, and 50% a makerspace on your campus. All of these are tons of fun, free while at school, and will help you make some friends in your field in your classes, and will also provide you with industry contacts when you graduate if you were friends with someone who is now working somewhere you'd want to work),
>And general self study in things you're interested in,

You'll be poised to have a good time at school, be socially well adjusted, will learn a fuckton, and almost certainly will leave school to a comfy 70-100k salary doing much the same work you probably did on the side and empowered with the theory you learned in school.

If you just sit in the back of the class room, engage in no extracurriculars, play too many video games, use your education as an excuse to party, and meet girls, and do the bare minimum required in order to get whatever grades you're comfortable receiving, you'll find that the degree did very little for you and cost you or your family quite a bit.

Ignore all meme-ing, most science and math at your level is either memorization or computation, both of which can be brute forced and honed. If you think you're bad, spend 20 minutes a day per class you had reviewing and thinking about what you learned in lecture that day, and 30 minutes doing homework and new problems. This can basically guarantee you good grades. There isn't really being "bad at chemistry" or "bad at physics": If you don't study it, you don't do well; if you do study it, you do better.
>>
>>17511835
not op, but if i dont know a whole lot about computers, would it be a terrible idea to major in compsci? or would it teach me the basics from ground up?
>>
>>17511963
My friend is in compsci and it seems like there is a lot of self teaching.
>>
>>17511686
Which subjects are you good or competent at and which subjects do you enjoy

Also don't go into English unless you're good with dealing with little shits of students
>>
>>17511686
I took 7 years to graduate. I dropped out and worked some time in the middle of that.

I started Electrical and computer engineering and finished with a psychology/linguistics/philosophy degree. When I graduated I had a job doing IT stuff for 70k within 2 months. The job title I have makes twice that if I go from public to private sector.

I bounced between a lot of majors and a few schools. STEM is filled with people working to succeed because there are usually weed out classes the first two years. Weed out as in intentionally harded to get rid of people. Weed out classes are good and bad. Difficulty can build character/ability to network with teams of nerds to overcome things. Difficulty can also crush people who would have been great but "had other things going on".

People who work hard in non stem fields tend to stand out and end up successful. They often aren't the norm though. Whats more normal for lib arts is people figure their shit out post school.

Regardless of major be involved with shit outside of the classroom that is tied to your major/career field. Realize all things are conquerable with time+effort and everyone lies about how much time and effort it took for them to get good. Everyone likes to pretend to have talent.
>>
>>17511779
do you think it'd be worthwhile to pursue an english, journalism or buisness major? these are the three im trying to decide on currently. as an english major how has the degree been?
>>
>>17512633
It's been good, but as I said, I do see the merits of a STEM degree. When you start looking for internships as an English major, you'll see how many tailor made jobs there are for specific STEM majors. Whereas English majors will have fewer opportunities. That's not to say you can't do anything, of course. The major itself is fun, pretty easy, and fulfilling. Out of those three, I wouldn't major in journalism. If you want to go into journalism, major in something else and JOIN the school paper. As a reporter, that's all the training you need. And if you feel you need more, you can always do a masters in journalism at Columbia or another program. I'm speaking from experience, as I've been on the school paper for many years. If you can, I would say best case would be business / English double major whilst reporting on school paper
>>
>>17511686
No major is above low tier. Evrything above that is netoworking, interning, and experience on projects.
>>
>>17512729
alright thanks. i think ill go for a business degree with a minor in english, or vice versa and join the school paper. im not sure exactly how to do that though. how'd you get in? i cant imagine they just let random plebs off the street in.
>>
>>17511686
>I also do not enjoy theory
pleb.
>>
>he fell for the college meme
Go for a trade.
Electrician, plumbers and high-tier mechanics are always in need.
Computer related jobs are already been outsourced to Pajeet and Chang who'll work for peanuts.
Become journeyman and you'll be rolling in dough.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (53KB, 197x190px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
53KB, 197x190px
>>17513663
>tfw i already have a trade in automotive mechanics
>also pursuing bachelors and minor
>>
I'm studying International Relations in Australia, am I fucked?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.