[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like a puppy. My aunt is a retired dog trainer; my roommate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

I'd like a puppy. My aunt is a retired dog trainer; my roommate trains dogs as a hobby, and works an opposite schedule to me. I work a 9-5 job, and am sometimes obligated to post-work activities. They would both happily help train the puppy, although I wouldn't be super involved until I got home.

Tonight, a friend of mine tore me to shreds for even considering the idea, and said I was an irresponsible shithead. Like, really, really said I was fucking crazy for considering "abandoning a dog in my house."

So, I guess, two questions. Is letting someone else train my puppy a bad idea? And, is getting a dog when I'm gone 8-11 hours a day just not something that's morally right, even though there's someone around pretty frequently?

To note, my roommate has a dog that lives here, and she's wonderful, but I would imagine having a friend would be even better for her. I have a space in my yard set aside for her and any other dogs to stretch their legs and use the bathroom.
>>
stopped reading at working 9-5, no op dont get a fucking puppy and expect other people to train it for you just because they can you piece of shit
>>
>>17508992
This, it's nuts the amount of time and energy a dog takes to be well adjusted. The reason your roomates dog seems so great is that you probably didn't see her as a tiny puppy and just how much time your roomate devoted to that thing. It's pretty much another full time job for like 2 years if you don't want to be a real piece of shit and leave it in your yard barking all day.
>>
>>17508992
>>17509032

I was around her as a puppy, we all put in work to pay attention to her and keep her engaged and consistently trained. He works, and did work, from 4 PM - 1 AM when he got her.

Both my roommate and aunt are super pumped for me to get a puppy, actually. I wouldn't be imposing.
>>
>>17508965

Do you get weekends off ?
I don't think it's irresponsible if you can afford time with the dog.

The most important thing is keeping the dog stimulated during the day. Having your roommates dog is perfect as it will give the puppy a well behaved adult to learn from.
Most dogs should also get 1-2 walks a day depending on the breed.
>>
>>17509141

Yeah, I have weekends off. The downstairs of my house is pretty dog proof, and they would both have room outside to play, too. It's not a huge backyard (I live in Vegas), but it's ample.
>>
Consider the following:

Don't get a puppy. Pick a lazy breed of dog and consult your local breed rescue and see if they have any trained, low maintenance dogs available. Be honest about your living conditions and availability.

I was in a similar situation as you, I went to a great dane rescue and got a 2.5 year old dane who was already trained and had no issues. He was absolutely fine with being alone all day as long as he could go out in the yard and do his business. All he needed was a good walk every day and some love and attention when I was home. Best dog I ever had.
>>
File: shiba10.jpg (67KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
shiba10.jpg
67KB, 580x386px
>>17509216

Okay, two more honest issues here... #1, I want the experience of owning a puppy that is super reliant, because I want to see if I can ever handle a kid. I'll be in the same situation with a child - I won't be able to be around from 9-5 and someone else is going to have to raise it, whether that's a wife or a daycare.

#2, I want a Shiba because I guess I just really like memes or some shit. (Five of my friends have them and they're the best kinds of dogs I've met, joking about the meme.)
>>
If someone else trains the puppy, it becomes his or her puppy. You are absolutely not ready for dog ownership and the responsibilities it entails
>>
>>17509251
Raising a puppy is nothing like raising a kid. Having a dog just means that you can handle some responsibility. Only thing that's similar is that both kids and dogs like consistency.

Shibas are fairly energetic, smart dogs. The living conditions you describe would likely lead to an unhappy, destructive dog.

Hook up with your local shiba rescue and try foster homing a dog for a while and see if the breed is right for you.
>>
>>17509281

I like this idea. Can a foster situation lead into a permanent home, or is it always a placeholder for them to be placed elsewhere?

I really love their energy and intelligence. I don't necessarily need a puppy - but I would like the breed. Although I have to ask, with multiple people around to play with the dog, another dog for it to play with, and a yard for it to enjoy at all times of day, why would it be unhappy and destructive? I'm not leaving it crated for 10 hours by itself or anything.
>>
>>17509292
A foster arrangement can lead to a permanent home if you really like the particular dog you're fostering.

A dog in a situation you describe would likely be fine...as long as these support networks that you have in place don't evaporate some day. It's hard to predict what will happen several years sown the road.
>>
>>17509320

The situations will likely evaporate some day, but can be altered to still be useful. For example, I'll likely be able to work from home all the time soon, my dad really wants me to get a dog for him to play with since my mom won't let him have one... Hell, maybe I'll have a wife or Thai ladyboy.

Could work.
>>
>>17508965
You sound like a comple+รจ nigger, please let me fuck your gay dog
>>
>>17509358
Blow a ginormous load in that tight little asshole of his.
>>
>>17509344
Give it a try, it sounds to me like you'll be fine with fostering a dog. Good luck!
>>
>>17509371
And while he's at it he can try crack. Then he can fuck his new gay dog right in its tight asshole
>>
Try butt fucking a few strays before to commit yourself to a puppy with such a tight asshole. Always wise you have a little "try before you buy" too. ;]
>>
>>17509422
Nobody cares, /b/.
>>
>>17509443
Bet you have a nice tight /b/utthole I can stick a hard dick in ;P
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.