[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First year in college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: amnot.jpg (56KB, 399x439px) Image search: [Google]
amnot.jpg
56KB, 399x439px
Sup guys, I'm an extroverted but kind of shy/selective guy that comes from a large partying background. I'm straight-edge except Alcohol

In high school I got mostly B's and 2 C's in Honors courses namely because I didn't really care about high school courses thus my GPA was low to the point where my high SAT made me look like smart but lazy student. My colleges that accepted me weren't the best, so I plan to transfer to them (Northeastern University, Boston College) after 1 semester/year of Freshman classes

Now a Freshman in college, I'm an Economics major and made sure to take 4 introductory courses (Algebra, Macroeconomics, Eng Comp, and Financial Planning) to initiate my GPA.

I'm starting to get the hang of it and shift into studying, however I started realizing how I had made little to no friends yet. But last week I stumbled upon a Fraternity invitation event and talked with one of the Frat house members. They knew I was cool/different so they gave me their number and invited me to their apt where we would carpool girls to a large party at a hot bar on College night.

They were cool about it and finessed me into a 21+ bar without paying shit, and the main guy I was with was trying to tell me all the cool stories he had as a Frat bro while I asked what was required to Rush/how the Rushing process works.

I'm confident I can definitely excel in these courses since I have a light courseload, and I am unemployed so I have tons of free-time. I think being a fraternity is a nice idea but I'm not desperate and I don't want to fuck up my grades etc.

Any advice?
>>
Bump. anyone?
>>
>>17507126
>extroverted
>kind of shy

>straight edge
>alcohol

i literally stopped after the first line
>>
>>17507126
What exactly is your question?
>>
>>17507171
Yea ok I lied a little about being straight edge

I'm saying that now that I don't know anyone, and have absolute 0 friends from High school in my college that I'm initially shy to meet people.

Introversion is not that you don't talk to people, it's how you react to energy in a social environment
>>
>>17507179
>Introversion is not that you don't talk to people, it's how you react to energy in a social environment
Introversion has a range of different sub-traits, and being somewhat shy is one of them
>>
>>17507176
I want to understand the Fraternity rushing process and whether or not it's worth taking the time since I don't know a lot of people as a Frosh

Additionally, I want to know if Freshman year is the one where not everyone succeeds/it's best to study your ass off instead of partying or not.
What I'm saying is, I want to balance school and Fraternity rush events and if that's a recipe for disaster I'd like some advice from some of you collegiate folk
>>
>>17507216
Usually freshmen are the ones who rush fraternities, but sophomores and rarely even juniors get the chance to rush. If you like the guys in the fraternity, you should ask someone you know in there about the rush process and what it means to be part of the chapter. Fraternities are a great way to find a strong support base within the university, but they also involve dues payments and philanthropic events.

If you're looking to find friends, join a club on campus and talk to people there. It's much easier to connect with strangers who share a common interest, especially when they show up to a club with what little time is available for college students. A fraternity can also help you find friends, but the commitment is there towards the chapter and it's not nearly as easy to quit out of that.
>>
>>17507494
To continue off your comment about frat / rush balance, I found myself with a 3.5 GPA in engineering the term where I was rushing. I was especially motivated that quarter to succeed, especially since the year prior saw plenty of C's and I was getting tired of that lifestyle. Just realize that the rush process will have mandatory events and that you have to spare some of your time for them in order to follow through. Again, ask your contact within a fraternity about the process and about more events you can attend. If there isn't a freshman freeze going on, you could even ask to hang out at their house some time when they're free.
>>
>>17507517
You had C's in college? Wtf happened bro and why did you get into a frat lol
>>
>>17507126
It truly depends on how large the fraternity is and what kind of connections you are looking for in the future. In general, i would say frats and sororities are filled fairly toxic individuals. Joining a frat doesnt turn you this way, but it attracts that type of individual. With that said there are plenty of academic frats which are filled with brilliant people.

The rushing will include many late nights, you being force to humiliate yourself, and being generally subservient to older members for a period of time. You will be disrespected in such a role, no doubt, and you'll have to suck it up. Again, academic fraternities are not going to include those things and are much more practical.
>>
>>17507126
Also, even the worst fraternities will have kickass and kind people in them.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.