[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about Computer Science Majors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: LiruYummy.gif (2MB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
LiruYummy.gif
2MB, 500x393px
I really want to major into computer science, but I'm I making a mistake. I don't want to ask /sci/ or /g/ for obvious reasons. I was thinking of also getting majoring in mathematics alternatively.

Any person with experience with the computer science field can a degree in mathematics get me jobs at places like google?

Or should I stay with computer science.

Is the computer science degree being overstated?
>>
>>17506976

You learn a lot of math in comp-sci. You can also major/minor that shit.

I really wonder if software dev will die off. Everyone wants to be in it right now. Then again, you basically never finish school if you are in comp sci and want to be competitive.

>go to work
>study
>apply for new job
>rinse and repeat
>>
>>17506991
Thanks anon, is it possible to start a subject as a minor and then take it as a major in along side with your other? I'm thinking of putting CS as a major and mathematics as a minor
>>
>>17506976
Depends on workplace. CS doesn't cover practical software development, it's academic in nature, so you're going to have to also focus on S. Eng. and S. dev. Some places also value CS and/or math, but it depends.
>>
>>17506976
You can do math, it will even set you apart from other coders and I've met those kind of people. I knew someone who doubled in both actually, he dropped the math because it was too much extra work. But the computer science degree prepares you for computer science jobs, how to enter the market etc, better than your math major if thats what you want to do. Computer science is "overstated" because there are people who love the stuff enough to self teach and therefore they can land jobs with their crazy portfolio and no degree. Also because new coders see that and interpret as the degree doesn't matter, they go in thinking they're a computer person because they play lots of vidya, end up hating the coding grind, and drop. CS is engineering like anything else, don't let these people discourage you, you either like it or you don't, go ahead and give it a year or two at least.
>>
>>17507025
>>17507028
Wow, thanks guys. I'll definitely take CS as a major and do math as a minor. Thanks my dudes
>>
>>17507028

Whether or not you have a degree, it's a good idea to be this person. Work on portfolio projects whenever time permits to keep up to speed with the industry.
>>
>>17507082
>portfolio projects
Will projects on github do? Or does it only apply to working with a company, like a part time job or a internship?

(Not saying that github is a good alternative to internship, just wondering if it mounts to anything)
>>
>>17507009

Yes, but as the other guy said, it's a lot of work. Double majoring is actually very difficult in real subjects and people often take 5 years instead of 4 to finish when they double major.

>>17507082
>>17507095

Projects on github are fine, and amazing if anyone actually uses them.

As far as the people who love it - I had a guy who chain smoked, drank amp, and coded. He listened to programming podcasts on his way home, and then read programming articles and coded more. He was fat, had no hygiene, etc, but good luck competing with that shit.
>>
File: 1472418511214.png (728KB, 1165x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1472418511214.png
728KB, 1165x1075px
>>17507175
Do you think its appropriate for an IT guy to have a github?

Teach me V-senpai
>>
>>17507182

Yes, but it depends on what you are going for in "IT", it's so broad. Like do you want to do network shit, be a code monkey, do security?
>>
>>17507182
I don't see why not... It's not like it would be a bad thing to have or useless
>>
>>17507193
Not sure, I think IT business analyst would be a pretty good start but I was thinking more along the lines of database management/design for a specialization
>>
>>17507220

There is not really much you can do on github for those. Basically, the point of github while in college is to have some code-base to show potential employers to say "Look at me, I am not a retard, I didn't just party through college."

Database management is a realistic and pretty boring job, but they make ok money. The few db admins I know used to be programmers, because they do need to understand how the data is used, at least a little bit.

As far as database design - I don't think that's realistic unless that's your life passion and you are at the top of your class at MIT (if you mean writing new, more efficient databases). If you mean designing data structures for SQL/Mongo/whatever, then that's what programmers/architects/db admins do.

"IT Business Analyst" is also too broad. It's one of those vague positions that exists at the intersection of programming / an MBA / a project manager (usually with Business masters focusing on IT management) / stats / data analysis.
>>
File: PIv0Foj.gif (1024KB, 218x228px) Image search: [Google]
PIv0Foj.gif
1024KB, 218x228px
>>17507238
database design definitely isn't my passion that's some good insight

I'm taking a UX class right now and I'm enjoying it so maybe I'll try that avenue since I'm pretty creative

Reading this really made me realize how much I don't know about the field kek

I'm not autistically gifted at math so I probably won't be doing any code-monkey jobs

Got any resources that would help narrow down what job you'd like?
>>
>>17507264

You don't really need to know math to be decent at chimping it up at most programming jobs, just need to know the language well and know a shitload of libraries that extend the language.

If you want to do UI/UX stuff, you will need to lean more toward design and learn html/css (for web-design, which are the most common designer jobs). You will also need to be pretty comfortable with standard designer shit like photoshop and such to design custom icons, logos, info-graphics, etc. If you want to go this route, you will DEFINITELY need a portfolio.

>Got any resources that would help narrow down what job you'd like?

I don't really have anything like that. To be honest, you kind of have to do it to "get it". Since you are going down this road, I would learn html/css/javascript on w3schools and go from there. Sure, it might take you a month or two, but you will have an idea of what web devs do. From there you can expand into messing with server-side and try the user interface there. Or into app design. Or whatever.

You can learn SQL (to get an idea of db administration) independently of "programming" too, it's pretty easy. But I am sure you will hate that shit.

I can't stress enough that you should at least mess with these. Even if you end up going into IT management, it doesn't hurt to have a clue what the plebs do.
>>
>>17507314
I already know basic SQL, HTML5/CSS3 (including bootstrap/wordpress shit), C#, Python, older photoshop, made a database and deployed ASP.NET shit using the data

I don't think I'd feel confident enough in my skills to make a portfolio yet for UX but maybe in the future

>what the plebs do

I will want to do some pleb work just to earn my stripes so to speak but I definitely feel going towards management

t. senior in uni
>>
>>17507386

>t. senior in uni

You are a senior? Better figure out what you are going to apply for after New Year. If you are going to do dev, decide whether you are going to target backend, frontend, or fullstack and brush up on that. If UI/UX, need to start building a portfolio now or you won't have a shit.

And I do agree that you should work for a year or two even if you plan to go get a masters in IT management or a general MBA.

All the shit you listed is useful, so at least that's good.
>>
File: bane.gif (974KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
bane.gif
974KB, 500x200px
>>17507440
I think I'll talk to my hot professor that teaches UX about building a portfolio and what else I should do/the job in general

I'll see you at Google one day brah

Thanks for the info
>>
File: spike.jpg (42KB, 958x720px) Image search: [Google]
spike.jpg
42KB, 958x720px
>>17507453
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (122KB, 1420x879px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
122KB, 1420x879px
>>17507481
What's your story anyway dude? What's your job?
>>
what was the name of this game?
>>
File: LiruThumbsUp.gif (2MB, 350x340px) Image search: [Google]
LiruThumbsUp.gif
2MB, 350x340px
>>17507563
Liru the Werewolf
Wolf Girl with You
>>
>>17507563
never mind just looked up the name in the filename to find it
damn this looks good
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.