[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

resume questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: businesscat.jpg (21KB, 236x351px) Image search: [Google]
businesscat.jpg
21KB, 236x351px
I'm 23 years old and I have to make a resume. I'm studying I.T. and I want a job in that area.
My only ""work"" experience so far has been one year working in some tiny shop that belonged to some friend of my family, and after that giving classes at home to some teens about high scool level math, physics and English. Both of these seem completely unrelated to I.T., especially the first one.
But should I include both of those? Should I write them as "work experience"? Or under some other title and put no work experience part?
And if I should write the shop part, what's the proper way to word it?
And will the employers check on that? Because the few other people that worked in that shop are pretty crazy and Idk if they will speak a good word of me.
But otherwise I'm worried about leaving the work experience thing blank...

Also, is a photo of me totally necessary? And I'm gonna be sending my resume by email to some job offer sites, should I send it as a MS Word .doc file?
Thanks!
>>
>>17506464
Put down whatever you did in the last few years, then try to spin them as things that contributed towards developing skills that are relevant, like teamwork or whatever. There are also non-job-specific qualities that you may be able to show off, like ambition, positivity etc.

>And will the employers check on that?
They may or may not. If you leave a conspicuous gap, they may question you about it anyway. They're most likely going to ask for references either way.

>Also, is a photo of me totally necessary?
Not at all. Actually, I'm pretty sure most people don't put photos in their resumes.

>And I'm gonna be sending my resume by email to some job offer sites, should I send it as a MS Word .doc file?
No, because recruiters are scumbags. PDF only.
>>
>>17506547
Thanks!!
>>
>But should I include both of those? Should I write them as "work experience"? Or under some other title and put no work experience part?
Put them under "volunteer work" or "freelancing" or something like that.

>And if I should write the shop part, what's the proper way to word it?
I don't know how you should word your work experience, it's you who did it. Just list the basic idea of what you did, and maybe the occasional achievement.

>Idk if they will speak a good word of me.
Have you considered asking them during your exit interview?
>>
>>17506464
photo or not really varies from country to country. in many parts of west europe for example it's pretty much expected. I've heard that in other areas it's more uncommon though. either way, putting a very good pic of yourself onto your cv is a good reference, too. even if you're not super handsome or anything - show off that you're capable of wearing nice clothes and able to smile into a camera. that's not much, but will elevate your cv above any equally qualified one lacking a photo
>>
>>17506464
Learn the following or at least list them:

LaTeX
MySQL
C#/HTML5/etc
SalesForce
VMware/Oracle Box/Hyper-V
Microsoft Server 20XX

You'll get a job with that
>>
>>17506570
Thanks! I'll try to find out what's the norm here.

>>17506561
Thanks! And I'm not sure what you mean by exit interview, if you mean from the shop, the place simply closed down. But it was run by some people who are kind of nuts.
As for wording it, yes it was a silly question of mine, especially since English is not my mother language.

>>17506575
Thanks! I know some basic stuff about a few of those and some other languages, I'm gonna list them in the CV.
>>
>>17506575
>at least list them
Shit advice. If it's listed in the resume, you're pretty much saying "I know this, grill me!". Also, LaTeX and SalesForce are highly domain-specific.
>>
>>17506586
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_interview
Sounds like it's not an option in your case though. An EI was helpful to me, since it was a chance for me to gauge other people's opinions of the work I did with them.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.