[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>going to school for sculpting at the top art school in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: david-face-760x985.jpg (122KB, 760x985px) Image search: [Google]
david-face-760x985.jpg
122KB, 760x985px
>going to school for sculpting at the top art school in the country
>disappointed father, mom, but supported by everyone else
>hardly any debt, though

Why's it so bad? I don't plan on being rich, just to have a career as a sculptor. I don't plan on marriage nor do I plan on kids.
What do you guys think?

>inb4 some stem elitist tries to act superior
>>
>>17504289

Because you're not following the norm of 'make money > get house > get wife > have kids.' And in a sense, they probably want to live through you. But as long as you're happy, it doesn't matter what they think.
>>
Your life - do what you want
>>
File: 1472054738957.jpg (44KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1472054738957.jpg
44KB, 400x400px
>>17504289
as long as you are happy I'll be happy for you too
>>
>>17504298
Because when you can't pay rent during a slow sculpting season your parents are gonna have to endure the Shane of living with their college educated adult child
At least have a backup plan tho
>>
do you know whats bad?

>having a dream
>your parents telling you to get a real job and make a decent living
>going to a 4yr school with the same memories as 90% of people
>getting a degree in some mediocre job
>working at a mediocre place with a safe comfortable salary
>starting a family; it leads you to depression because your not happy with what you do but you don't have a choice now because you are a good person and have to support your family
>raising your children while you and s/o argue at times
>you go to your job and get yelled at by your boss who has no experience but just graduated from a better school
>you retire at an old age and tell your children to do the same fucking thing you did
>they repeat your sad mediocre life
>you sit and realize none of this would've happened if you just took a risk

ask your mom and dad. If they didn't have a family. Would they still be working at that fucking shit hole?
>>
File: 1459980154218.png (77KB, 399x349px) Image search: [Google]
1459980154218.png
77KB, 399x349px
>>17504304
>>starting a family
>>raising your children
>>being loved by somebody and orgasming inside her vagina without raping her
>>it leads you to depression

>mfw
>>
>>17504289
I'd say you're fine, but I wanna point out a couple of things.

>not supported by parents, supported by everyone else
Your parents will generally be the only people who truly care about you succeeding in life, and would go out of their way to make that happen.You certainly understand where their concerns are coming from, and have to agree that they're justified to some extent (not that I'm saying that those concerns will definitely materialise at any point).

>don't plan marriage or kids
You're probably in your early 20's, it's likely that you'll want those things some day.
>>
>>17504298
This is what I was thinking as well. Do you have advice on what I should tell them?
>>17504301
>>17504300
thanks guys. I'm feeling a little better about my options. Everyone tells me that what I'm doing is useless to society but honestly it's very fun to me and I cannot see myself doing the life checklist.
>>17504302
I don't think I'll be retarded enough to let that happen. Keep in mind, It'll just be me, I can make ends meet. I'll likely find a side job of course.
>>17504311
Of course I know their concerns. But I have discussed with them the matter. The tuition wasn't even that much (under 10 thousand), which I'm starting to pay off and such already.

As for the marriage and kids thing, maybe. But for the next 10 years, I think it's best to just go solo and see where life takes me.
>>
>>17504317
>Do you have advice on what I should tell them?
Do you have any plans on where you want to work after school or are you starting your own business? Do you have a backup plan if things don't turn out the way you want them to? I think as long as you're able to take care of yourself now, and you can show that you're not reliant on them in any way, they'll stop trying to tell you what to do.

>>17504308
There's more to life than relationships. If you have something you love, that you're really passionate about, then you can be happy without one. Being able to share that passion with another person is just an added bonus.
>>
>>17504289

not wanting marriage and kids doesn't magically take them out of the equation. most people didnt plan on kids, they just accidentally happen, and assuming you can get laid it will likely happen to you at some point.

and even if you could remove that argument saying 'i dont want marriage or kids' comes off as naive. im not saying you should want them, i certainly dont, but it insists that you believe you will be this static person your whole life and wont ever change your mind. and its a big thing.

and even if oyu disregard that, most older generaitons consider it bad to just not want marriage or kids. whats the fucking point of livign without htem? most modern people can see the merits of just dying alone, but its hard for someone who's raised a family to grasp, so if they're own kid said 'yo it stops with me' the parents will be disappointed.
>>
>>17504440
i've got siblings, don't worry
>>
>>17504440
>saying 'i dont want marriage or kids' comes off as naive. im not saying you should want them, i certainly dont, but it insists that you believe you will be this static person your whole life and wont ever change your mind
Some people know that certain things just aren't for them. That doesn't make them naive.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.