[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oldfag needs input:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: 1468891832671.png (672KB, 906x799px) Image search: [Google]
1468891832671.png
672KB, 906x799px
How do I convince my genius-level child to do something meaningful with her life? Entered uni as a sophmore due to AP classes. Majoring in English (no jobs).. minor is Theater (less than no jobs).

I appreciate following what you're passionate about. Realistically, it will cost a house.. to be destitute.

What do?
>>
>>17501362
The "no jobs for English majors" meme is false. As long as takes on internships while she's in school, she will be fine in the job market. We just hired an English major at my marketing firm. She'll be doing all of our copywriting and blogs and other writing-based shit that we sell. She's not anything special, either. My industry in particular doesn't give a fuck what degree you have, as long as you have a degree. Anything in the marketing field can be taught. The same holds true for any job that requires someone to be a proficient writer. Every form of business needs someone who can produce error-free work.

The most important thing for any college grad is entering the job market with at least 2-3 internships under their belt. A piece of paper doesn't mean shit. The only kids who get jobs nowadays are those who have experience. Real experience, not Old Navy or McDonalds experience. You get those in internships.
>>
>>17501387
Thanks. I'll have Mom whisper this in her ear.
>>
Follow passion not money
Bet you'd be a lot happier if you did that huh
>>
Does passion pay? $150k isn't nothing... Passion doesn't pay bills. Starving artists are... starving. If you have the capacity for it, shouldn't you go for it?
>>
>>17501362
The more you push your daughter into doing something else the more she's going to want the shitty major
>>
>>17501497
Oh come on, it's not like we have scores of Arts majors literally starving to death on the cold streets whilst the STEM majors enjoy lavish dinner parties.

Of course you can both follow passion AND pay bills.
>>
Don't financially support your adult child if you disagree with what they're doing. Tell them that if they want an impractical degree, they can pay their own way.
>>
>>17501362
If she is "genius level" isn't it just barely possible that she knows what she's doing? Why not trust her? It's her life.
>>
>>17501362
Let me bring this to your attention famalam.

http://profoundlydisconnected.com

You need to have some serious talk with your kid.
>>
>>17501362
Majoring in English is great... if she's already writing.
She should at least be self-publishing, or blogging, or doing whatever to throw her words in the face of an audience.

What are her expectations, jobwise? Going in without a plan will leave her in bad waters.
>>
>>17501514
Absolutely agree. I haven't said anything about it for a couple years.

>>17501520
To some degree, I suppose. I've yet to meet any "artists" who weren't nearly destitute.

>>17501529
I won't cut her off. She pays the majority of her expenses (via loans). I can disagree all I want. She is still my child.

>>17501961
Good points. I feel like she is naive to the world beyond school still.

>>17501971
Not clicking that. Got Cliff Notes?

>>17501974
Editor of some sort is the last I heard.

Thanks for the replies.
>>
>>17502320
>>>17501971 (You) #
>Not clicking that. Got Cliff Notes?

Do you know who Mike Rowe is? If not then Google it and come back.

If you do please read this (from that link I posted earlier)

>ARE YOU PROFOUNDLY DISCONNECTED®?
>* A trillion dollars in student loans.
>* Record high unemployment.
>* Three million good jobs that no one seems to want.
>The mikeroweWORKS Foundation started the Profoundly Disconnected® campaign to challenge the absurd belief that a four-year degree is the only path to success. The Skills Gap is here, and if we don’t close it, it’ll swallow us all. Which is a long way of saying, we could use your help…

Not everyone needs to go to college to live a good life. This is just to put things in perspective for you and your daughter.
>>
>>17501362

If she's smart and approachable she'll do just fine OP. Please don't be the kind of parent that forces the child to do something they need not want.

I originally went for a bachelor in English too, although my old man wanted me to pursue a career in shipping.

I just recently graduated and am now employed as a data scientist. Your kid will do just fine, she just needs to realize that there is a world after school, and that realization will kick in soon.
>>
>>17501387

Literally any retard can go into marketing. The demand for any degree is simply because there are a fuckload of people with dumb, useless degrees like OP's daughter. We'll get to a point where you'll need a degree to be a shift manager at McDonald's.
>>
>>17502354
>she just needs to realize that there is a world after school, and that realization will kick in soon.

A bit optimistic aren't you. Not everyone figures things out early like yourself, op knows this well and that's why he is here seeking advice
>>
>>17502395

When did I state that I figured it out early?
>>
Make her wait until she is at least 18 to go to school. When i was 15 i was smoking weed, playing Xbox, browsing 4chan, and focused on sports. Didnt have a clue what I wanted to do with my life. I thought i wanted to be a surgeon.

Now I'm 20 and going to school for something both profitable and enjoyable.
>>
>>17502378
We're already there son. Lowe's only accepts applications from people with an associate's degree. And that is for a $9/hr cashier job.
>>
>>17501362
Honestly, I only got one advice. Be supportive of her decisions, don't fuck her over like my parents did. Because if you do, you'll soon have a daughter that used to be brilliant but is now suicidal with no hope for tomorrow.

>Teachers loved me and considered me a genius in our field
>Won competition after competition
>Voted most likely to succeed
>Got headhunted during my second year in university
>Parents hate my life choice
>Constantly heard "When are you going to use that big brain?", "Shouldn't you re-school to doctor or lawyer?", "That degree won't lead you anywhere"
>Began getting low self-respect for what I did and myself
>Develop anxiety and panic attacks
>Think about the sweet release of death and not having to worry about a thing anymore constantly

I know they said those things because they are worried about my future, but honestly, I'm so messed up because I didn't get any support and they refused to even try to understand what I wanted or why I chose it.
>>
>>17502320
>Editor of some sort is the last I heard.
Does she want to be an editor, or is she already working as an editor?
>inb4 yes

If she's already putting something out, that's great. It's huge, and she'll get more contacts and experience while in college, it would be worth the sticker price.
If she wants to find a job as an editor... no. She'd be better off taking the 150k, buying an house and renting it out. She's looking at a life of internships.
>>
As a failure of a child I only have the equivalent of a high school diploma. You should be glad she's doing something in uni.
>>
In curious what did you want to do before your dad told you not to do and get a mediocre job, you know the one where you don't make a lot but just enough for you and your family. The one you have now. The one that if you didn't have a family you'd never be doing.

I understand you want financial future for your kid but am I the only one who sees the cycle of mediocre bullshit because of this? You'll be fine financially aslong as you are a hard worker. Hard workers never go out of style and are always needed. It's not like she doesn't have any direction in life and is pissing in the wind.

If you can go to uni for it, that means people have made money on it. If I were you I'd sit her down and voice your concern, but don't tell her what to do. She's young and guess what she might even make a mistake or two, and she might pick a major that has no future or maybe she she's 4 years from now she doesn't like it. But what a sad life if she's like ya I'm just here so I can make it in life, just to get an average life.
>>
>>17502339
Interesting. I'll give that a read when I have some more free time. Thanks.

>>17502354
I would never presume to force her to do something she doesn't want to do. It's her life. I just would love to see her succeed. She has a gift of intelligence and I hope she doesn't waste it.

>>17502423
She's 19.

>>17502446
Wife and I are nothing but supportive. I guess we're just worried she'll have trouble finding work in her area of study.

>>17502537
This is my concern. She's a Junior who is not working in the field. A life of internships sounds terrible.
>>
>>17502559
We are. It's a lot of money though.

>>17502713
I don't think she wants anything "mediocre". Tbh, I think she fancies herself a writer. She's won a handful of contests and a few scholarships. Being a writer is far from guaranteed income. The odds are definitely not in her favor.
>>
>>17501362
Talk to your daughter like an adult and discuss your concerns with her.
>>
>>17503182
What does it matter? She can do whatever she wants, good or bad, and in the end it won't mean anything. She'll get married and have kids, and that'll be her primary focus. As a female, she has the built in benefit of security via marriage. If this was a son, yeah, you should be concerned. But if she's happy, smart and doing fine in life, it doesn't matter. She can do what she wants AND marry into security. That's the best of two worlds. You should be more concerned that she chooses proper mates.
>>
>>17503182
>I think she fancies herself a writer.
>Being a writer is far from guaranteed income.
It's decent money, much better than 50 years ago. E-publishing is opening a lot of opportunities.
It jumps to good/great money if
she becomes an household name (that won't happen) or goes from writer to publisher with a dozen of ghostwriters working for her.

If that's the way she wants to go, she really should already be writing something.
>>
>>17501362
You should finger her butthole
>>
>>17503275
and you should butter your finghole.
>>
>>17501387
This

Companies hire ppl who do things on the work market - get her to do shit in there
>>
>>17503275
>finger
>not fist
amateur
>>
>>17501362
>Majoring in English (no jobs).. minor is Theater (less than no jobs).
As someone who's taking a degree that does give you jobs, here's a fact that pisses me off everyday - there are plenty of fields who will take you regardless of degree. There's even some big finance firms that are 'CV Blind' and ignore your qualifications (e.g. EY and PwC).

Note however - work experience is vital. Everyone applying for a graduate job has a degree, which by supply and demand, makes them worthless.
>>
>>17502713
>If you can go to uni for it, that means people have made money on it.
You're talking shit - e.g. Woman's Studies.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.