[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I posted a similar thread to this recently, but would like to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: graphics-alcohol-630122.jpg (30KB, 284x400px) Image search: [Google]
graphics-alcohol-630122.jpg
30KB, 284x400px
I posted a similar thread to this recently, but would like to re-ask.

Has anyone ever given a friend an intervention, or sent them to rehab? I just found out recently that our friend is getting up as early as 4:30 AM to get drunk before work, and then comes back to the bar right after. This needs to stop, so we're going to try to help.

That being said, I'm an alcoholic. He likes to deflect his problems off to me, but at the moment, my alcoholism isn't crumbling my life. I still want to help but I'm not sure of how.

Any ideas here? Has anyone been through an intervention? Did it work? My parents tried one when I was 21 and it was very poorly done. They had my doctor tell me about how he was raped by another man when he was a kid and then they told me I was a disappointment. So, don't wanna replicate that one.
>>
>>17499736

If you are really an alcoholic, maybe you can do more by him as an example by fixing your own ish.

If his life is really crumbling, LE will get involved.
>>
>>17499767

I'm an alcoholic by definition, but not really by life effect. I'm very functional. No excuse, I know it'll catch up to me eventually, but I work in an industry that encourages drinking quite a bit, and it would be very difficult to stop without having a major effect on my career.

Like I said, I know it'll catch up someday, I'm sure, but I'm not affecting my relationships with people, ruining my finances, getting DUIs, getting in trouble at work, or any of those things due to my alcoholism. I'm getting safely drunk at home or in a place where I can take public transportation home or get a ride.

I'm hoping for some advice that isn't just "stop drinking yourself," because that's off the table.
>>
>>17499794
>it's this guy again
You're a functioning alcoholic for now, but it will catch up with you. You seem so proud of being a functioning alcoholic almost like you're bragging.

Actually, don't quit drinking. I want you and your naive brain to develop alcohol induced psychosis
>>
>>17499794
>stopping drinking myself is off the table
No it isn't, NO job requires you to drink you fucking idiot. (btw thats called denial, the first key factor in alcoholism)

Stop being so self righteous, if you can't quit drinking yourself why do you look down on your buddy. kys
>>
>>17499736
Psych major here

Interventions and rehab are a colossal waste of time and money

Instead of a fully fledged intervention,just let them know how you feel and how you feel when you're around them and alcohol.It'll hurt them most likely and that's okay,self awareness is a bitch for addicts

Secondly,instead of paying thousands of dollars for rehab institutions,more people find long term results in programs like Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon.These two programs are completely free if you're brand new and only ask to donate what you can in order for the organization to afford printing of materials like pamphlets or books

that's it

The very best that you can do for someone else let them know how you feel,and point them in the right direction.It's the sad,yet honest truth.And addicts or people in those situations deserve nothing less than honesty
>>
>>17499824
>psych major
how long have you been working in the field and how much experience do you have? Because that's what actually matters.
>>
>>17499816

I'm not proud of it. It's not a good trait. It's just something that's not going to be fixed anytime soon, and I need help with a more pressing issue. It's like going to a doctor with a broken leg and all he wants to do is talk about your high blood pressure. Sure, it's a problem, let's talk about it during a followup appointment, but let's fix what's urgent.
>>
>>17499828
well a doctor wants to talk about your high blood pressure because that will KILL you. A broken leg wont KILL you.
>>
>>17499827
Do you have advice to give? Or are you just here to challenge everyone else's?
>>
>>17499827
been working at a local hospital as a therapist dealing with all sorts of cases.Self harmers,alcoholics/users,and people that are just generally stressed out from family situations for almost 3 years

I'm relatively new,as 3 years time isn't enough,but it's enough time to see results not just in my patients,but in others around me.

I'll admit that Psychology is a meme degree and the line of work that I chose is stupid narrow with a long ramp up time towards a doctorate,but shit like addiction has been the same for the last 60 years and the treatments will never change until we develop a method to alter you at a genetic level.

Addiction works like this at your genetic level

You have several alleles that are tied to hunger and satisfaction.In a healthy person,when they are hungry,they will eat "X" amount of food and become satisfied.They will drink a beer or two and become satisfied.They will fuck once and be satisfied.Unfortunately,the vast majority of people aren't genetically normal,so the amount of "X" activity needed to reach satisfactory levels runs across the entire gamut.

Some people love chocolate,some people love alcohol,gambling,sex,etc.and that's fine,however when it does your body harm is when it turns into an addiction.An alcoholic will drink because he doesn't and will never feel satisfied with the alcohol and the sensation derived from it.

As of right now,the only proven method to fighting addiction is having a strong network of individuals and coping mechanisms to fight addiction.Some people are weaker and more frail than others,discipline is tough as fuck for a lot of individuals.
>>
>>17499818

My job doesn't REQUIRE me to drink, but it is a huge part of the culture in what I do, building relationships to generate sales outside of an office. That's the world of marketing. I have 2-3 post-work happy hours with my team and vendors each week. All of my coworkers drink heavily, as do our vendors.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.