[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a degree in music a complete waste of time/money? Should I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1469581989523.jpg (10KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
1469581989523.jpg
10KB, 261x195px
Is a degree in music a complete waste of time/money? Should I do a course that takes 2 years, is cheap, but only gets me a diploma? Or 4 years, expensive, but gets me a degree? Both in music.

Any actual musicians? Anyone who tried?
>>
Bump. I graduate next year. Would love to study music but I think it doesn't really help you getting well payed jobs.
>>
>>17498778
If you're very talented, it's worth it and you could potentially (but with difficult) get into make music for commercials, being a producer, soundtrack work etc but if you're not exceptionally skilled, it's a bit of a waste.

If you love music though but aren't some kind of prodigy, go with the shorter course.
>>
OP here:

>>17498785
I guess you're looking for the same advice?
>>17498791
Sounds reasonable, none of the "normal" majors hold my interest or motivation for long though
>>
If you like it then you should do it. You can make it work if you love it enough.
>>
>>17498778
What kind of job are you looking for?
>>
>>17498778
Do you have the money to pay for some "education" that does not guarantee you any jobs?

I know some people who went to musical schools and graduated, most of them are working doing something else entirely because they can't find jobs as musicians (pianists, violinists). My wife was studying to become a pianist but wised up and ended up with an accounting degree (one of the few degrees that might actually be useful to get a job quick).
>>
>>17499812
>that does not guarantee you any jobs?
No degree "guarantees" you a job.
>>
Waste of time.
What career options do you realistically have?
>rockstar
>super talented virtuoso
>music teacher

It's likely you're not good looking enough to be a rockstar and too shit to be a virtuoso.
That leaves music teacher. I'm sure there are a lot of wannabe rock stars who are taking this route.
>>
>>17499792
None, I just wanna learn how to write music. I know I'll need a job but to be honest most of the conventional degrees or jobs don't interest me, there's maybe a couple that make me think "well I wouldn't hate that". Yea I've actually tried regular jobs, and a "money" degree (computer science). Felt like shit.
>>17499479
>>17500212
Conflict
>>
Hey there, I'm a musician in college right now, majoring in jazz performance (piano).

It depends on each person to be completely honest. However, you have to keep in mind that for a musician, college is very important for making connections. You said you wanted to learn how to write music, and that's cool, but I think it would be a very good idea to experience college, and come out of school with contacts and people who know your name.

I don't know your skill level, but you don't need to be a prodigy. From talking to dozens and dozens of musicians who graduated and majored in music, it isn't a clear cut path. It can be a very long and winding road to your end goal, but if you desperately want it, go for it.

On the other hand, you don't have to go to school for it, that's completely fine, do it as a hobby. Or if you're at a good level, market yourself and establish a presence online.

Do you play an instrument? A composer that can play an instrument is more valuable and will more likely get a job. Can you arrange? Same thing.

I'm in school now and I compose, though I don't major in it or take classes or anything. I just love it. Some of my compositions have been performed by my schools' ensembles, and I've even composed a few tunes for a very obscure indie game, just to experience it.

Hope that was helpful in some way
>>
>>17500942
>None, I just wanna learn how to write music
Then don't worry about a degree. I'm a music student, and if all you're wanting is to learn how to write music, then I would recommend that you take the theory classes, both written and aural training. Of all the classes, theory would be the most beneficial and offer the most tangible skills. Composition courses are kind of a mixed bag. More often than not, they don't teach composition, they just give you composition assignments, but you do get feedback, which is incredibly important. Other courses that can be helpful are music history courses. Having a wider exposure will only give you more sounds and ideas to work with. Also, counterpoint courses.

One thing I want to stress is that most people have a huge misconception about theory. You get one extreme of people who will never touch it because they think it limits their creativity, then you get the opposite extreme where they think theory is the be all and end all to the rules of music and shun away from writing/experiencing good music because it doesn't confer to all the rules they learned in their classroom.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.