[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Highschool Dropout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: LERsYPq.gif (2MB, 267x197px) Image search: [Google]
LERsYPq.gif
2MB, 267x197px
How much has Highschool affected your life?

Honestly I dropped out around my Senior year. I got really depressed out of no where and a lot of personal stuff happened, and I just stopped showing up. I think when they finally 'let me go' I had like 35 missed days total.

I took up Carpentry right away, and am currently making about 10-15/hour depending on what I do. Im going to be attending Classes to get my Welders License, as I know you can make good money doing that.

Has anyone else dropped out? Are you 'comfortable' with how you're living? Do you live by yourself?
>>
does carpentry = fucked up hands?
I'm a musician and I'm kinda worried about that

I'm currently in college and I'm considering dropping out
>>
>>17497694
For sure. Rough calluses and the occasional deep cut, plus any other horrible thing that can happen when you put your hands around fast moving metal blades.
>>
> Im going to be attending Classes to get my Welders License, as I know you can make good money doing that.

Spend time on http://weldingweb.com/

and

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard

Have a current eye exam, and if you need glasses I strongly suggest a "work" prescription for best vision up to two feet because that covers typical welding ranges.

Read those forums and post an "I'm about to got to welding school, how should I prepare and what tools should I bring?" thread.

Welding is fun. It's more fun if you study far beyond the minimum they teach in school, but abole all you need max "time under the hood". Weld, weld, then weld more.
>>
File: 1429480493373.png (344KB, 691x510px) Image search: [Google]
1429480493373.png
344KB, 691x510px
>>17497700
that sucks man. well I'm glad you're doing well
>>
get your GED and you won't have to worry about how dropping out affects your life.

granted, it doesn't have quite the same status in HR people's minds as a HS diploma, but it looks a lot better than nothing. plus once you have other certs, diplomas, etc, the qualifications on the jobs you'll be applying for will depend much more on those. they'll be looking at your certs and other diplomas and not worry about whether you have a proper HS diploma or a GED, but it will still look a little weird to them if you don't have at least something.

you'll also probably get a bit more money with a GED than without. if you're a dropout, they know you're going to have a harder time getting hired, so they'll have less incentive to pay you what you're worth.

it is a stepping stone to some degrees and certificates. colleges and tech schools generally require a HS diploma for enrollment, but they will accept a GED just as well. so if your career takes you in that direction, you'll already have it.

if you can manage it, it's just a good idea all around. it's one loose end that you'll have sewn up and never have to worry about again.
>>
>>17497740
THIS.

You will eventually need more education and getting Uncle Sugar to pay for it is difficult if you are so fucking lazy you didn't get a GED.

Even if you weld, you presumably want an upward career path in the metalworking industry, so get the GED.
>>
>>17497677
i was a really intelligent kid who barely passed any of his courses for the first 3 years but in senior year i applied myself and finished with one of the highest grade averages my school has ever seen, which resulted in free tuition and residency for the university i'm attending through scholarships. (I just have to pay for textbooks sometimes)
>>
I'm an athlete and finishing hs is the hardest thing i've ever done. I have to pass to continue living a life I enjoy and desire.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (16KB, 400x321px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
16KB, 400x321px
I barely passed highschool.

It affected my self esteem alot.
I come from an educated family and I am the least educated from my siblings.
My parents fought tooth and nail to get thier educations to give us a platform to stand on.

The final nail on the coffin was when I failed uni after trying for 2 years, my eldest sister started her medical residency and my brother had a competitive ranking and got a full ride scholarship.

Felt worthless and useless etc etc. Working a job i had since highschool stacking shelves. Ended up getting 2 more jobs as a gas station attendant and frieght handler.

18 months in, i sat down with myself, Im not academic and cant pass for shit, my siblings work less hours and earn more than I do, im always the yard stick at family christmas as the bottom rung.
so why not up the stakes?

I then started taking up a extreme sports, got about 300 skydives under my belt, took mountaineering, took up sailing, hang gliding, deep diving. You name it the more dangerous the better. If I didnt pass my "exams" if i was incompetent or complacent. I go home in a box. No more feeling sorry for myself because I have to repeat another year, or to have myself compared to my siblings and cousins.

I found a personal peace in a way, I traveled many parts of the world, worked a few jobs for long hours to make my way. Met different people, made and lost a few friends.
I dont imagine myself having a career settling down with a woman and having children. Its almost too luxurious. Let my brother and sister do that.
>>
I dropped out of HS too. Hasn't effected me. I never got my GED either.

I just say I have it all together on applications and they've either never checked, or never cared that I lied.

I'm currently a store manager for a big local business, and I make 30k a year in my early 20's.
>>
Didn't drop out but didn't do great, few c's, d's, and some fails. Started off in primary school really well, top class for everything but eventually lost interest and stopped caring, by the end I despised school and will never do it again. My attendance for my last two years was 60% I think.

Been NEET ever since, I have no idea what I want to do since I will never go to school again my options are pretty limited.
>>
>>17497694
yup. hands are sensitive. I fucked mine up on computer keyboards and doing manual labor.
But i am in a union and get benefits and get tons of kinds of health coverage and even college tuition reimbursment.
I went to community college and did all my core classes and got a liberal arts associates. It didnt let me do much except continue college and graduate faster. I'm going for a general music degree, since my hands are fucked for performing on a professional level, I may go another year or 2 to get a masters in composition at a different school.
You should get your GED at least. education is so valuable to being employed and I always have fun with the experience of meeting people and learning.
I think in the long run its best to worry about money gain. You want to be able to sustain yourself comfortably. Then see what doors open. Experience helps but education sometimes is a requirement right at the foot of the door. And education is much more affordable than you think even with out my tuition reimbursement from my job the bulk of my free money is grants and scholarships.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.