[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you believe that people have a right to take their own life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 88f.gif (132KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
88f.gif
132KB, 500x600px
I hear a lot of people say that suicide is "selfish", and I just don't think that's true. Well, maybe, depending on the context, like if you have a spouse and children that are you would be leaving behind if you killed yourself, but ultimately I believe that - if nothing else - a person as a right to decide what they do with their own life.

That being said, I don't think suicide is a good option, after all we're all gonna die one day, why accelerate the inevitable? But I still believe that you should get the final say as to what happens to your own life. After all, if you have no say in weather you live or die, then what do you have?
>>
If someone wants to kill themself then they have every right to imo.

Trying to keep saying someone alive because you'll miss them even though every single day of their life is absolute hell and they've given up is the real selfishness.
>>
I'm 28 years old. I'm not really depressed or anything but I don't know if I want to keep on going myself. I don't want to spend my life till I'm 65 working 8 hours or more a day. I've seen what it did with my family and I don't really want to put up with it.

Some might say I just need to find something I'll love to do, but that would most likely require a degree which will put me in debt for god knows how long and even then I won't know for sure if it will do the trick.

I might be considered weak for it but I really don't care. I just want to spend my time hanging out with friends, doing fun activities, etc, and since life just doesn't work that way I'm not sure what's really keeping me here.

I'm seeing a councilor about this and even he can't really answer this question.
>>
>>17497031
I agree that people should have the right to commit suicide.
Unfortunately, in many countries, it is still a crime: this is incredibly unjust because of the extent to which it places the state in control of a person's life. The justification for this (that the state has an interest in not allowing citizens to kill themselves) implies that the state owns citizens' lives, and that killing oneself essentially takes something away from it.

As for the moral part: i obviously don't think it's acceptable to commit suicide when you have a wife and kids who depend on you, except in extreme circumstances (eg terminal cancer, permanent disability, etc).

We can't just live for ourselves. We have to think about the well-being of others, and balance it with our own. If "someone will be sad" or "someone will miss you", that's not a good enough reason not to do it. But if someone depends on you for their health or safety, and they may otherwise die (eg if you're the only doctor in a remote village), it's better to wait until later, until you can discharge your obligations fully (eg train someone to replace you).

>>17497108
>Some might say I just need to find something I'll love to do, but that would most likely require a degree which will put me in debt for god knows how long and even then I won't know for sure if it will do the trick.
Hold on a sec there: if there's a possibility that it might lead to a better life, why don't you take the opportunity?
What do you have to lose? A job that you might not hate is much better than a job that you definitely hate.
>>
>>17497031
Your mind, your right end it.

The death argument can be used for both.
>why live my life in pain/sadness if i'm gonna die anyway? Why shouldn't i accelerate the process and suffer less?
>>
>>17497149
Yeah, you make some pretty good points.

>>17497108
Have you considered joining the military or is that not something you're interested in?
>>
I always think about the lives I'd ruin if I killed myself. While I believe I should have the right to make that decision I also believe that my family shouldn't be haunted by it daily wondering what went wrong.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.