[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is online college an actual thing that can actually get you a job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: CaQLDrnUUAAx5mK.jpg (81KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CaQLDrnUUAAx5mK.jpg
81KB, 600x600px
I'm 20, and I live with my parents.

>Suck at school
>I'm studying coding in CodeAcademy
>Dad is paying $20 monthly for the courses while I pay him with handy man projects. (Fix wiring, roof, fix drywall holes, etc.)

>I've been really digging coding, so much that I pull about 2-3 hours of studying and taking notes every day.
>Wanna get a job as a programmer
>Realize I can't simply get a job by just studying a course online
>"Fuck, I need an ACTUAL diploma"
>I'm antisocial as fuck. I don't look weird, I just don't like talking to others

I've never done online college courses so here's my questions...

1.) Is it affordable? What does it depend on? What's the usual prize range?

2.) Do I get an actual diploma?

3.) Are diplomas from online courses actually considered as legit? Do companies actually acknowledge them?

4.) I always see advertisements for online colleges, so should I sign up for the online colleges that are advertised? Or sign up to an ACTUAL irl university/college and ask to join their online courses?

5.) If I want to work as a programmer,that means I will work with programming languages like python, Java, etc. Right? So if I wanted to stand out and be a decent programmer how many languages would I need to know?

Sorry guys, but I'm somewhat of a dumbass with school. And somewhat of a beta fuck. And I don't want to spend the rest of my time working at an airport. I feel like I need to try harder to get ahead.
>>
I have no idea how reputable they are, but you're going to need some barebones social skills to handle applying for a job and interacting with coworkers. If you can't handle real life college how are you going to handle getting a job?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjOhH7L-EE
>>
>>17497005
I do have social skills don't get me wrong. And I can interact with others for the job's sake. Reason I sucked at school was because I never really realized how important it truly was until now.
>>
>>17496984
no one gives a shit about a degree for code monkeys, you need a portfolio with decent projects.
>>
>>17497021
So good looking projects. Sorry for the dumb question, but what kinda projects for languages like C++ and Java? I just started learning coding about 3 weeks ago, and I'm barely getting halfway of HTML and CSS. That I can understand, since you basically use websites as projects for the portfolio .
>>17497018
What's the animu about?
>>
>>17497033
>what kinda projects for languages like C++ and Java
useful software you wrote, or contributions to other projects, usually you just provide your github account
>>
>>17496984
do yourself a favor and google cs50 harvard.

codeacademy won't ever make you a decent programmer
>>
>>17497048
Actually that was the first thing I liked up before CodeAcademy. Although it was confusing for me. I had to get a decent foundation of what I was getting myself into. What's wrong with CodeAcademy?
>>
>>17497074
Youll get your foundation from the cs50 courses. It starts from 0. First course is about scratch (google it if you dont know what it is) and how computers work. Second is about basic commands in c. It doesnt get any more basic than this.

Codeacademy only teaches you the language, not how to properly use it. It doesn't teach you how to think as a programmer. Its decent for programmers who want to learn a different language but not for complete beginners.
>>
>>17497126
You can also do project Euler to get some practice at solving problems and coding.
https://projecteuler.net/
>>
>>17497033
Make a github account. Prove to your employers that you're worth hiring by creating impressive and interesting projects. Contribute to other projects. Get some other job experience if you haven't already.

As for projects, do something that interests YOU. It's incredibly hard to commit to something you aren't interested in. Not that rewarding either.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.