[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop wasting time on the internet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1308114031001.jpg (148KB, 648x595px) Image search: [Google]
1308114031001.jpg
148KB, 648x595px
I'm not so concerned about being on the internet (and computer) as to what I do on it, though I suppose I might have an internet dependency.

I often find myself flicking through the "most visited" on my new tab screen - Facebook, then 4chan, then YouTube. I probably spend a while watching stupid videos on YouTube (a lot of the time it'll be the same stuff I've watched before), the cycle repeats. I suppose a lot of this is distracting myself from the feeling that I "should" be doing something "useful."

I am well aware that the internet can be used for "good" things. For example I enjoy watching documentaries. I don't mind spending time doing this, but this is rare and I often get distracted. I also visit a political forum every day though my interaction is minimal.

How do I break the cycle? How do I use the internet for "good" and self-betterment rather than numbing my mind? Is it simply a matter of habit and willpower?
>>
"Willpower" is a noxious idea that never help anybody.

Do behavioral therapy, which means do healthy things away from temptations. Keep at it.
>>
>>17496826
I'm not sure how I could apply this to the internet. Just separate useless sites and useful ones?
>>
Try meditation? Or read those "habits" books.
>>
Nobody can tell you how to do this because its something you do all the time when you get up to go to bed. The problem is you don't have anything else to occupy your time.

Get a hobby, or find a way to turn your computer into a hobby. I built my PC for vidya, which was super fun, so I decided to start studying for my A+ certification and I'm having a damn good time doing it.
>>
https://getcoldturkey.com/
>>
>>17496789
That's pretty much my life, OP. It wasn't as bad when I had a job, but that's how it goes. Once my new job starts up, I'll crave my internet time. It's only because I can have it all the time, that it's less desirable. Having something you are obligated to do, be go to work, school, you have somewhere to be with friends, helps a lot breaking this cycle. That's what's worked for me, but I'm in the cycle right now, at my worst. It's kind of beautiful in a way. It's the pure me. If I could do this all the time and remain happy, I would live in squalor and not talk to anyone, but I know I can't realistically accomplish that. I don't know if anything I've said hits home, but there you have it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.