[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask an emergency medicine doctor anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

File: 445663.jpg (58KB, 550x514px) Image search: [Google]
445663.jpg
58KB, 550x514px
Ask an emergency medicine doctor anything
>>
>>17493286
Do you ever have sex with your patients?
>>
>>17493293
Nope. Few nurses though.
>>
>>17493297
At the hospital or in private?
>>
>>17493304
In private
>>
>>17493286
I'm thinking of changing my career to medicine.

My only question is, is it worth it, in terms of job satisfaction and pay?

I know residency and medical school is going to be hell, but human body and diseases are fascinating to me. And helping people and occasionally saving lives sounds like a great way to serve the community.
>>
>>17493286

Why does morphine suck so much?

Is there a middle ground between morphine and fentanyl?
>>
>>17493317
Yeah I find it pretty satisfying but can be pretty stressful. I can deal with it while I'm young but I don't know how the future will be. The pay is alright.

Medschool was great fun.

>>17493319
Morphine and fentanyl both have their places. It depends on what you're using them for.
>>
>>17493325
How old are you, and how much is the starting salary straight out of residency?
>>
What's the weirdest thing you ever had to pull out of someone's ass?
>>
>>17493328
I'm 27. I don't work in murica. I'm a britbong. Paid ~£28,000 - £29000 in the first year.
>>
Do you ever get aroused when handling a patient's genitals?
>>
Do you ever feel the desire to kill a patient, or to later on wish you had killed them?
>>
>>17493329
Batman figurine with a printed out face of someone they knew stuck on the head.

>>17493332
No. On the whole, patients are disgusting.
>>
>>17493334
Nah, not seriously. Quite frequently get very whiny patients who can't give straight answers, usually when you're very busy. Would be very satisfying to strangle.
>>
>>17493286
grossest thing u had to deal with?
>>
>>17493372
fournier's gangrene
>>
>>17493394
What kind of person gets that? Were they homeless/poor?
>>
>>17493286

A patient comes in with a squirrel bite between the distal and the intermediate phalange. It's deep. What tests do you perform?
>>
File: 1471026065207.jpg (41KB, 599x577px) Image search: [Google]
1471026065207.jpg
41KB, 599x577px
>>17493428
none desu
>>
>>17493436

Wrong. "Ask my wife's son to shit on the wound" is the correct answer.
>>
File: 1469983477964.jpg (143KB, 760x760px) Image search: [Google]
1469983477964.jpg
143KB, 760x760px
>>17493443
someone is in a shitposting mood
>>
File: megumeme.jpg (139KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
megumeme.jpg
139KB, 900x900px
>>17493286
Is it common for hospitals to do little to nothing for detoxing alcoholics who are convulsing and have dangerously high BP?
Because when I came in to detox after an agonizing hour or two all I got was a dose of some barbiturate that wasn't nearly enough and didn't even stop the shaking. I had to go back to drinking until I could see my regular dr and get clonidine and toprol.
And why would so many drs refuse to give a short term benzo script when I'm clearly suffering because my other drugs aren't enough.

Maybe it's just a local thing but I feel sickened for how little regard they've show for me when I'm making a genuine effort to improve my health. In the end I had to reguarly overdose on the heart pills and get some benzos from a friend to make it through without falling back on the liquor.
I'm sorry if all that didn't come out as a legit question but I'm angered and confused by how the medical community has (failed to) handle a very real, dangerous problem. I damn near had a seizure due to those bastards.
>>17493447
I thought it was 'bakuhatsu'.
>>
How little do doctors care about patients?
>>
>>17493286
I'm a very overweight man. Sometimes when I get done with strenuous (to me) excercising I can feel my heart palpitate like it stops and the stops again. I refer to it as chugging. On a scale of fucked to you'll be dead by new years, how fucked am I?
>>
File: 1264830249192.png (3KB, 203x212px) Image search: [Google]
1264830249192.png
3KB, 203x212px
How do I get into your profession if I never too bio in high school?
>>
>>17493402
Nah, just neglected to seek medical attention in the early stages of infection.

>>17493428
Would probably just wash it out, explore under LA, get an x-ray to rule out bone involvement. Prescribe tetanus booster if not immune and give a 7 day course of co-amoxiclav.

>>17493452
Define 'dangerously high'. Malignant hypertension would be brought down slowly with labetalol and they'd be given a chlordiazepoxide/pabrinex detox regime as an inpatient.

>>17493483
Most doctors I know care.
>>
>>17493533
but what if the squirrel had rabies shouldn't they be given rabies shots?
>>
>>17493533

>Would probably just wash it out, explore under LA, get an x-ray to rule out bone involvement. Prescribe tetanus booster if not immune and give a 7 day course of co-amoxiclav.

Also need check flexors and extensors for damage and watch x-ray for foreign bodies, e.g. tooth fragments. Finally, rabies might come into play in some countries. Not in the US though, dunno about the UK.

Anyway, confirmed legit. Carry on.
>>
>>17493540

No cases of rabies transmitted by squirrels in most states in the US in the past 2 years. I checked this a couple of months ago. Was kind of surprised.
>>
>>17493540
We don't have rabies in the UK.
>>
File: large2.jpg (48KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
large2.jpg
48KB, 500x750px
>>17493545
Squirrels aren't carriers of rabies fyi
>>
Do you get really annoyed by people who come in having panic attacks?
>>
>>17493553

Depends on the country yo. Look at rabies rates Eastern Europe / Asia compared to the US. It's lol.
>>
>>17493533
I don't remember the numbers there but it was high enough I felt like someone had a death grip on my heart nonstop and my left arm was tingling.
When I went to my dr sober (had to drive) it was something like 155/110 with a pulse of 120 as I remember it. I already had borderline HBP before I started drinking and still take those heart pills + check my BP daily.
>>
>>17493565

You need to lay off the herb dude

Rabies aren't spread by squirrels primarily in Asia

unless you got some facts to back that up ;)
>>
>>17493578

>Look at rabies rates Eastern Europe / Asia compared to the US
>Most of the human cases occur in the developing nations of Asia and Africa, where dog rabies remains endemic or epizootic and thus is the main source for human exposure

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518964/

Rabies rates a shit in undeveloped countries. Nobody said anything about "primarily" squirrels.
>>
>>17493559
My patients depends on how busy the department is. It's very annoying when we have a resus room full of sick patients and 10 ambulances waiting on the platform.

Generally I'm very good at hiding my annoyance. I'm very British like that.

>>17493568
155/110 isn't an emergency as such in itself.
>>
>>17493588
I said

"Squirrels aren't carriers of rabies"

to which you responded

"Depends on the country yo."

V pls seek help for your addiction
>>
>>17493597

Squirrels CAN carry rabies, and rabies rates are much higher in shit countries, but my statement of

>Depends on the country yo.

is pretty weak shit, given that I can't find any evidence of squirrels transmitting rabies anywhere.
>>
File: Ballin3.gif (1MB, 351x209px) Image search: [Google]
Ballin3.gif
1MB, 351x209px
>>17493624
Get dunked
>>
>>17493640

What can I say, you win this one fuccboi

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
File: 1471846452029.png (435KB, 598x507px) Image search: [Google]
1471846452029.png
435KB, 598x507px
>>17493428
>A patient comes in with a squirrel bite
>Letting a squirrel bite you
>Letting a tree rat get the better of you
That fucker better had paid with his life.
>>
How do you feel about paramedics in general?
How do you feel about paramedics playing the role of ED technicians? A necessity in modern emergency rooms or unneeded?
>>
>>17493728
Paramedics irritate me with their inability to make decisions and their "just to be safe" mentality which causes EDs to be swamped.

Paramedics also tend to be a different breed to doctors. They're a bit extrovert and annoying, to be honest. I don't like being called "doc" and their banter is terrible.

We don't have "ED technicians", but if you train to be a paramedic, you should be in an ambulance not in-hospital.

Right, going to bed now.
>>
>>17493740
I can't handle these bantz

t. paramedic who works in a hospital
>>
What was your worst experience in the emergency room?
>>
>>17493286
What made you want to become a doctor? I'm an aspiring doctor as well, 18 this year, getting my A level results and UKCAT, apply to medical school probably this year or next.
Probably tips on interview, but that's not my main purpose of this message
>>
Are the nurses competent and reliable in your country ? I'm asking because i'm a nurse student in France and for the major part of them they know jack shit and gossip most of the time. It's fucking annoying and dangerous, it's driving me crazy.
>>
If you'd read the thread you'd see OP is already done for the night..
sage
>>
>>17493926
Guess he's not on call for the night or he would be here all day.
>>
have you ever taken drugs from the hospital you work at?
>>
>>17493937
>>17493923
>>17493918
Read: >>17493740
>>
Hey dude
Is vaporizing weed daily safe
and
I never get out of my chair due to the fact I have an ultra comfy job and thus never get any exercise

Is this a bad thing?
>>
>>17493962
No that's 100% healthy man
>>
>>17493980
Are you being sarcastic?
I literally never move.
I'm not super obese or anything because I don't shovel food into my gullet all day long, but I literally don't exercise at all.
>>
>>17493993
Of course I'm being fucking sarcastic
>>
can you feel empathic with your patients or you just see them as objects you work on?

do you like the power you feel when you have other people's lives in your control?
>>
>>17493286
renationalization: good or bad?
>>
>>17493286
24.Fresh. Why didn't you go for master race Surgical branch like me? I don't know how it goes in Brit...but you can't be an emergency doctor forever, and you must change again later in life. Well med senpai, why don't we have a board or a general somewhere?
>>
>>17493286
Okay so Imagine I show up at your clinic. How do I make your job easier?
>>
OP checking back in

>>17493918
Wanted something academic, practical and something to help people. Sounds cliche, but true.

For interview, just read up on the style of course (traditional, PBL etc). Get that ISC medical interview book. Have examples from your work experience in the back of your mind.

>>17493923
Highly variable. ITU nurses are great and will use their initiative. Other general nurses can sometimes be obstructive, unhelpful and slow to react to emergencies.

>>17493937
Yes. Paracetamol. Fucking radical.

>>17493962
People who do weed on a daily basis tend to turn into complete mongs. I know there is a lot of controversy around weed and psychosis (chicken/egg etc etc), but in my experience, there is a clear link.

>>17494053
It's incredibly draining to be genuinely empathetic with the amount of patients we see on a daily basis. That said, we know the right things to say and how to express concern, but it very rarely moves me.

>>17494978
Surgery bores me to tears. I'm aiming for intensive care medicine in the long-run.

>>17495060
As a patient? Just give me straight answers. Answer the question im asking you and don't ramble. If I ask "how long has the pain been there" your response should be "x hours/days", rather than "oh well it all started when I was at the supermarket and I was bending down to pick this up and then I noticed this sharp pain here"
>>
>>17495165

Can you tell this guy Why he needs to call a doctor?
>>
>>17495195
Weed guy here,
What about my moving around question
>>
>>17495224
Sedentary lifestyle is a known risk for cardiovascular disease. This is less of an issue if you don't become a hamplanet.
>>
>>17495228
So it's okay to be sedentary but slim? Awesome. Thanks doc.
>>
>>17495237
That's not really what I said, is it? Google visceral fat and the risk associated with it.
>>
I'm having intermittent dull/aching pain in my foot, leg, pelvis and testes, up in my anus and a little in my lower back.
No idea what's bringing it on but I've found that in some cases it happens when I need to shit and I can feel the shit up in my ass. Sometimes it happens when I exert myself physically or stretch weirdly.
Happens 1-2 times per month, used to happen a lot more and now it's not as common.
Also it's isolated in my right leg.
I was thinking sciatica, then I was thinking prostate, then I was thinking testicle problems, then I was thinking herniated disk, then I was thinking inguinal hernia but I have no fucking clue.
Hlep?
>>
>>17495241
I'll give this 'exercise' thing a try.
>>
>>17495195
How do you tell if you have a bacterial infection or a viral infection. Because more often than not, my doctor refuses to give me antibiotics because he suspects that it isn't a bacterial infection, even though I started with Sore throat and not a fever. Usually i have to go back again and pay another 50 bucks for antibiotics and consult, I understand the whole anti resistant super bug thing, but if it's genuinely a bacterial infection, he could at least try to reason out if i need the antiobiotic or not instead of jumping straight to giving me anti inflammation drugs that will not get me better and i get a really sore throat and i come back, now with bad fever.

On top of that, should i go for tonsil removal? Would that remove my sore throat problem, cause i've been getting quite a lot of sore throats lately.
>>
How do I get a doctor husband?
>>
>>17495378
You date a doctor, and if he thinks you're worth it then you get married.
>>
>>17495378
You don't want a doctor husband, trust me, doctors never have time for you, it's gonna be as good as not having a husband at all. They're gonna spend more time with patients more than they spend time with you, if you want to marry a doctor because of social status, just marry a rich businessman, that's gonna be much more worthwhile
>>
>>17495385
I like the whole him not having time for me because I'm an asexual autist who wants the money, social status and none of the lovey dovey stuff.
>>
About two weeks ago, I stopped getting morning wood and random boners. It was like someone turned a switch off. I can't stay hard during sex either, even though that had always been a problem before (though not as bad). Help me doc
>>
When are you so dehydrated you need an IV?

Asking because I have extreme pregnancy nausea. I have some medication, but I have trouble reaching more than 1 to 1.5 liters of water a day. With the puking and drinking little (and being bed-ridden for over a month) I have trouble estimating when it gets "too much"
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.