[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting Uni at 25

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: cover.jpg (261KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
261KB, 500x471px
Is it too late to start a 3 year University degree for me? I would be studying my favorite subject such as Western Literature and Languages plus a bunch of cool stuff like Medieval History and Geo politics.
I might be a late bloomer but Social Anxiety stopped me from choosing the right path for my life when I was 18 but If I'm lucky enough to get another shot at this I'm definitely going to make it count this time.
Any pointers? It feels really scary to jump back as an old man with all those teens running around. Will I have trouble meeting people due to the age gap?
Does anybody have any experience with this? I'd love to hear some of the younger guys too if possible.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>I would be studying my favorite subject such as Western Literature and Languages plus a bunch of cool stuff like Medieval History and Geo politics.

Why don't you just flush money down the toilet? Seems like it would be less of a hassle.
>>
>>17493005

I'm not American so University is way more affordable for me. Plus I live in a country with fuckloads of medieval history.
>>
>25
>old
mate....

No, it doesn't fucking matter. I had 30+ colleagues in college (I was 18-22) and they had no issue fitting in. No one treated them differently. Actually one of them was on of my closer friends in college.

No one cares if you're 25 as long as you're not socially retarded.
>>
>>17493000
The age gap will work in your favor, socially, but are you sure about the mayor?
You should choose it based on the job market (unless you're filthy rich and don't care about it anyway), yours is a very weak choice right now.
>>
>>17493033
The career path is what I want to do with my life which is something I have never been able to say in my life. A distant relative of mine did the same thing and she works as a teacher now.
>>
>>17493043
Ask her about the job market for teachers with her degree then.
If you're in Europe, there's a huge need for Maths, Physics and Science teachers, but too many in the lit departments, so double check how it's going in your country.
You don't want to graduate and find your career path will never even start because there are just too many other graduates in your discipline.
>>
>>17493033
This is terrible advice. Never go for meme jobs. You can make a decent living in any field, provided you're good at it. And having a passion for it will make you more than good at it. On the other side if you go for a well-paid field you have no interest in you'll hate studying, you'll hate your job and you'll hate your life. And Because of it you'll always be bad or average at it, so you won't make a fortune either.

If you keep that mentality you'll never amount to anything and you'll be miserable.
>>
>>17493000
Anon I'm 25 and I'm in 2nd year of systems engineering which is 5 years long. It used to bug me, the age difference, but it's not worth it worrying about it really. The real matter is whether you like what you will be doing when you graduate. Enjoying studying the career is important but the crucial thing is figuring out if you'll like what comes after it.
Also, make sure you know which activities are your hobbies and which you wanna live off of.
Godspeed OP
>>
>>17493057
To do it right, you have to go for the well-paying field that you have some interest and attitude for, and keep an open mind for the possibilities that crop up.
Doing otherwise, with a non-flexible path, is too big a risk.
>>
>>17493094
you're talking as if you can have some interest for a bunch of fields. Don't you see how nowadays most young adults are interested solely in playing videogames, watching TV and browsing social sites? Most people are lucky if they can identify a field they're interested in by the time they're 20, let alone finding a well-paid one. And no, just because something you don't know anything about sounds vaguely interesting doesn't mean you have an interest in it. 9 out of 10 times it will turn out it's not what you're expecting.

OP, if you really like it just go and study it. You'll be happier and more successful this way, I've seen it happen over and over.
>>
>>17493132
You can be interested in multiple related fields, and choose the best one.
Anyway, OP is 25, I expect him to know himself a bit better than a teenager.
>>
>>17493000
You will be surprised when you get to uni to discover that there will be A LOT of people your age or older. Many will have your story - they weren't ready for uni at 18 but now are more clear-minded and motivated. You will NOT stand out or be a freak among youngsters.

There are, broadly, two reasons for going to uni - to prepare for a profession, or just to learn stuff because it's fun. Most of the 18 year olds are of the first persuasion. Many of the older students will be of the second. (Of course it's not an either-or choice - you can study what interests you and along the way discover if it has practical opportunities as well.)
>>
I have a 60 year old Indian guy who I don't even think can speak English in one one of my classes. I think you'll be fine anon
>>
>>17493000

This: >>17493005
>>
>>17493000
Holy shit nigga
If you're 25 and going back to university
at least study something that isn't totally useless.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.