[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: cruisin.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cruisin.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
I recently graduated with a degree in bio and my marks are too garbage to go to grad school. since grad school is out of the question ive been thinking of just saying fuck it and learning a trade instead

is it a bad idea to just scrap the degree and go into something completely different?
>>
>>17492040
I think you need time off studying until you find out what you really want to do. Any subject area will be difficult to do well in if you're not genuinely interested.
>>
>>17492040
Can you go to a different school?
>>
>>17492055
it doesnt really matter to me what i end up doing. i just want a relatively stable career

>>17492076
i could try to apply, but with my GPA i doubt ill find something
>>
>>17492088
It varies, but unless you have a masters people won't take you too seriously. I look into tutoring and teaching. Some places desperately need someone with any education and passion for science.
>>
What's your GPA?

Consider the Peace Corps. Most everybody went to state schools and had mediocre GPAs. I had a 3.1. I'm now getting my master's at Boston U. Two friends had 3.4s - one is now at Columbia, the other Johns Hopkins. I don't know the next couple people's GPAs, but one's at Yale and one's at Princeton. Also note that Boston U is literally the only school I applied to. Even people with really terrible GPAs like 2._s wound up at schools like Boulder. Everybody loves the Peace Corps. Besides, grad school is generally easier to get into, anyway.
>>
>>17492094
im not even sure i want to do grad school. i guess i want to have the trade as my main thing with the degree as a fallback

though i think it should be the other way around
>>
>>17492088
You say you want a stable career. Why not join the police force?
>>
>>17492124
i always thought being a police officer would be dangerous as hell

ive thought about it before. im not sure i would be cut out for the job but i might as well give it a shot
>>
>>17492119
Not necessarily. (me again; sorry, I went and showered, and forgot about this thread)
Having a solid skill is always a good idea. The problem with academic fields like bio is that you don't really have a solid skill if you find yourself unemployed. But if you have a solid skill, whether it's cooking, welding, bartending, making chocolate, computer programming, or whatever, you're always marketable. Again, I'm in grad school, but I wish I had a solid skill like that. I know people who are successful in the things I just listed, and a lot of them have college degrees in fields completely unrelated to what they're doing. If there's a trade you're passionate about, that's actually a really smart path to go down.

If you want to combine paths, though, one of the most valuable master's you can get is biochem engineering
>>
>>17492176
i was actually looking into biomedical engineering, but thats more engineering than anything else so my bio degree wouldnt help at all.

im also looking into an electrician program because there are schools that say they can have you job ready in ~1 year. id like to be working ASAP but would it be more beneficial to spend another 2-3 years in school doing something completely different?
>>
>>17492189
I don't know much about electrician work, but my instinct is if it's between biomedical engineering and being an electrician, go biomedical because you'll be making bank, it's more prestigious, and it's probably more interesting.

Of course, you should look more into the options available to electricians. It could lead to some pretty bland working class stuff, but I get the feeling there could also be a lot of amazing jobs, like working for a theater. Consider seeking out advice from people in both fields directly.
>>
>>17492199
>Consider seeking out advice from people in both fields directly

do you know of any place online or otherwise where i could find these people?

i would do biomedical engineering for sure but it would require at least another 3 years of school and im already in a bunch of student debt. im in canada though so i dont think itll screw me over as much as it would in the US
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.