[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career change or no?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (3MB, 886x1389px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 886x1389px
I recently graduated with Bachelor of Architecture from one of the top programs in the nation, but after talking to some of the practitioners and firm owners I feel like I've chosen a meme degree. Employment doesn't seem like a problem since everyone in my peer is getting jobs somewhere, but in the long run the field doesn't seem as rewarding as I thought it would be (you'll be lucky to have salary of 80 to 90 k with about 10 years of experience and it's probably the most unstable jobs out there).

Many people say don't go into whatever profession for the money, but lets be honest here: money should be one of the factors on choosing your career, since I actually do want to own a property and support my family one day.

Has anyone changed their careers because the payoff was bad? Do you think you made a good decision? Or am I just overreacting in general?
>>
>>17491228
you already got the degree, why don't you give it a few years, see if you like it any better. if you don't, then ride it out while looking for something else, and the next time the job market takes a shit and you're on the unemployment line, take the opportunity to get into another field.

but if you just try to walk into a particular field right after completing a degree in something completely different, you're just going to look indecisive and unwilling to commit. plus you're going to be back at square 1, more like square 0 or -1 without a degree.

>>17491228
>you'll be lucky to have salary of 80 to 90 k
you'll be lucky to have a salary of half that in 10 years unless you go back and get a whole other degree, or get welding certs or certifications in some other trade and get hired someplace that offers a lot of overtime. the fuck world are you living in sonny
>>
>>17491228
Ball State?
>>
>>17491253
But wouldn't it be better if I went back to school and start fresh as soon as possible if I already know that I'm going to end up poor and at a dead end job for the rest of my life?

I feel like it's similar to making a bad investment. If you know that it will be bad, and it will get worse over time, isn't it best to take out the investment when it's not too late?

And of course I'm going back to school to get another degree. I'd rather suffer now than to suffer the rest of my life.
>>
>>17491311
Um.. No
>>
OK, first of all what are your expectations for life? 80-90k is pretty good, especially if your spouse is also going to be an earner. Did you expect to be making 6 digits straight out of school or something?
>>
80-90k is a great salary, really don't understand your problems here, what sort of excessive life do you wanna live?
>>
>>17492271
>making 6 digits straight out of school or something?

No. I want to make 6 digit sometime before I die. With the same level of experience my friends in other degrees are probably going to make two or three times that of my salary, and have a more stable job.
>>
>>17492338

Two people can have the exact same degree yet make vastly different amounts of money.

If you just park your ass in a cube and just do what you're supposed to? Yeah, you're probably going to make an average amount of money for your field. If you make your own efforts to improve your skills and find new ways to talk to like-minded people and look for new opportunities? You might make way more than the average. Hell you can save up and start up some other revenue streams with the savings from your salary as if you don't behave like a retard and try to buy a Mercedes and a big house right away.

You do not know nearly enough about the adult world yet is what people are trying to tell you. If doing exactly what school trained you for and making a bunch of money eventually is what you were after, you should've graduated from med school - because literally almost nothing else really works that way.
>>
>>17491228

Be patient.

Old man here, who actually worked in an architects office in college (not an architect, but I've spent time in the industry).

You have a lot of life to live, and there is no predicting where it's going to go. You could end up at a design mill office and crank out tweaks to the 5 floor plans they offer, you could also become the most desired beach house designer in your area.

Get a position, work it for a few years, and opportunities or your inner voice will guide you.

You are at a scary place in life, and the "Now what? Did I make a huge mistake?" thoughts at that point in life are huge.

Roll with what you've got, and remember the determination that got you through your education.

You will be fine.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.