[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me, please.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 16865161275_f239ba18b0_o.jpg (36KB, 645x479px) Image search: [Google]
16865161275_f239ba18b0_o.jpg
36KB, 645x479px
I want to believe in God. I don't know why. I suppose I'm an atheist at the moment.

I'm not asking to have an argument. I'm asking because I want to believe. I want to be convinced.
>>
Disclaimer : not a believer.

Do you know the bet of Pascal ?

Basically, believe in it. Either God exists and you keep your place to afterlife opened, or he doesn't and you don't lose anything.
>>
>>17486069
Well here's why I believe.

Matter cannot be created, nor can it be destroyed. So where did l this fucking matter come from?

>big bang

Even if the big bang theory is true, (which I'm pretty sure there is evidence to prove it) there still had to be something to cause it.

Athiests essentially believe that everything came into existence for literally no reason whatsoever. That, to me, is pure lunacy compared to the notion of an intelligent creator.

>who created god?

God is probably a being who trancends time and space. Maybe he was created in another dimension. Maybe he IS the universe. Who knows.
>>
I think that a really human desire.
There's other ways you can 'believe' in god without being explicitly religous, as a symbolic literary figure, as a manifestation of the architecture of the mind that allows external reflection, as a non personified force the underlies the order of the universe.

I think the flaw is getting stuck in conceptualizing god as a thing like you and I that has human traits/thoughts/methods of communication.

God is gravity, the strong and weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism in it's limitless permutations and the profound existence of order in a universe that could yield chaos under different premises.

Organized religion also has other benefits in terms of being part of communities that provide support and moral guidance.

I'm agnostic, meaning I simply do not know and recognize that I lack meaningful information to come to any positive conviction.
>>
>>17486092
>not knowing the implications of mass-energy duality
>>
Faith is like love, you can't make someone fall in love and you can't convince someone to have faith. You either believe in god or you don't.
>>
>>17486069
>want to believe in God

okay bud i can help you, but first which one?
>>
>>17486100
love is just a complex interaction of chemicals in your brain that creates a sense of social connection and well being, like god.

neither of them are entirely 'real' or 'fake' but they may make you feel slightly better about life.
>>
>>17486069
read a bit Kierkegaard (how to believe) and Borges(to get the essence of his god)
>>
>>17486069
>I want to believe in God. I don't know why.
Then you probably already believe on some level, and are seeking justification for that belief. I mention this because re-framing the question can often lead to new insights about it.
>>
>>17486076
>he doesn't and you don't lose anything.
unless you picked the wrong god and wrong religion and he's vengeful and wrathful about it. and the odds are not in your favor of picking the correct religion.

basically, Pascal was a retard
>>
>>17486069
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AL_y3Znz0B4
>>
>>17486069
why do you want to believe?
what will you get out of it ,purpose,meaning,enlightment?
>>
>>17486069
If you're specifically referring to the good reveled about in Christianity, if you're having a hard time believing in God then you should consider the idea that God is not the only god. Explore other religions, Buddhism is a good one--there are so many of them and one of them is bound to capture your attention and have more in common with your ideals to some extent.
>>
Disregard everything, acquire faith.
>>
>>17486187
This right here famalam, and if you wanna be hardcore then you can dip into Summa Theologica
>>
>>17486247

Second this.

There's a literal infinite number of Gods that are possible, an infinite amount of which will send you to damnation regardless and another infinite that send you to paradise only if you don't believe in them.

Your odds aren't changed either way you believe.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.