[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning a musical instrument

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Air Guitar.gif (1MB, 388x272px) Image search: [Google]
Air Guitar.gif
1MB, 388x272px
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the best place to ask but I'm considering learning the guitar, piano or drums.

Does learning any of those three make learning any instruments any easier? Like with rhythm, reading music, etc.

I have zero experience with any instruments but I'm willing to learn but I'd like to eventually several.

Also, I can't take classes or hire a tutor so it'll be books, guides and youtube videos for the most part.

Money is also a factor but as long as I can actually learn on it, I'll invest in decent instruments.
>>
>>17485412
Any instrument and music theory.

I would choose piano before drums only because I feel like drums misses out on the actual melodic part of music.

musictheory.net is a good resource.
>>
File: DO IT.jpg (37KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DO IT.jpg
37KB, 1280x720px
>>17485422

Thanks, mang.

I'm 30 and have never touched an instrument or attempted any type of art before.

It's something I've always wanted to do so...
>>
Choose the instrument, learn about the instrument, buy the instrument, PLAY the instrument. I can't stress this enough, play it! Learn new songs, riffs, get used to the instrument.

t. A guy who's been playing since 8th grade
>>
>>17485757
This. Regret that I stopped playing :/
>>
Guitar player here. I would recommend piano first. It will teach you a lot of music theory from there and open the doors to playing a lot of other instruments. If you have any desire to play in a band ever, I'd suggest taking up drums though because the world needs more drummers.
>>
Music nerd 20 yrs.

Start on Piano primarily because it will teach you notation right off the bat. that will help most other instruments and also it will teach you finger independence which applies to basically every other instrument.

Guitar is easy to start and then gets very difficult after a few years if you don't study it in a regimented fashion. It also doesn't translate well into a lot of the other strings family.

Drums is just hard, it has it's own skill set and takes a couple years to get comfortable. Everyone needs a good drummer though.
>>
Not OP, but how about violin?
>>
>>17485412
start with piano. it does, in fact, give you a leg up when learning other instruments
>>
Learn Piano first
It helps you learn how musical notes work much easier, by associating a specific piano key with each note.

It gives you the most expansive range of expression.
>>
Agree with other bros about piano.

I started with teaching myself guitar, then after a few years I took piano lessons and wished I'd atarted with piano.
>>
dont learn fucking drums or guitar or any other gay rock band shit. piano lends itssefl very well to learning theory and you get comfortable with both the bass and treble clef. so guess what that means, you could easily pick up on the bass AND guitar or whatever the fuck else uses those clefs. the downside i feel that the piano is an instrument that you really should take lessons for a good while before you set off on your own
>>
>>17485422
kek

what the fuck?

But Anon,drummers are the backbone to any band,be it rock,pop,hip hop,or jazz.

Drummers are on par with pianists,in fact they have a harder job than a soloist or accompanist.

OP,if you want to pick up an instrument that requires,dexterity,stamina,technical prowess,extreme physical duress,and most importantly,rhythm.Pick up the drums

Piano comes in at 2nd place

and Bass guitar for 3rd

I respect pianofags,but come the fuck on,at 30,OP should've picked up something 20 years ago,and Drumming while difficult,will be of much more practical use than Piano ever could
>>
>>17486890
>>17486890
>>17486890
Sounds like a faggy drummer lol
>>
>>17486890

I agree with you on the drums, a good band is ruined by a shitty drummer

But noone cares about the bass. In most music you cannot even hear the bass (at least not in the audience)
Bass is a meme brought on by techno and "feeling the music"

Guitars all the way, few bands sound any good without guitar, but you could easily have a band without a bass player
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.