[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abused Friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hi /adv/, I have a few questions about my friend who is abused by her parent.

She is turning 18 in two months, and was planning on moving out with her brother then. Yesterday her mother just grounded her because she will be moving out, and has told her that she is not aloud to hang out with her friends at all. Not even look at them.

In the past she has been physically abused as well as emotionally, although it is unsure whether or not the physical part has stopped.

This is the type of friend who has tried suicide and cutting in the past. Is there any way by law that she can leave? We know of people who would be willing to take them in if there is a way.
>>
>>17483285
If you're in the US, which state do you live in? Most states have no consequences for her just getting out of there. I had an experience a bit like yours when I was that age.
>>
>>17483296
We live in the state of Ohio. I looked some stuff up and it's honestly confusing me.
>>
>>17483299
It's not a crime to run away from home in Ohio. Afaik, police would not have the jurisdiction to bring her from her brother's back to her mother's, although it seems that local police departments don't always abide by this and can do things differently case by case, and in Ohio they certainly cannot detain her.

Additionally, if you have evidence of the abuse and know someone of this category who you sufficiently trust, there are people who are mandated reporters to CPS, being teachers, school workers, health professionals, and so on. Going this route is more complicated, but in my case I think it helped with the police situation.

Anything else I can help you with? I know this is a lot to go through, especially if it's the first time you've confronted the issue of abuse or a neglect.
>>
>>17483344

I read that her mother would have the right to a lawsuit towards the people that take her in. If she does sue, what are the chances they will take her mothers side, even though my friend would most likely be 18 at the time of hearing? I have to go at this point so I will check this thread later.
>>
>>17483344
Additionally, does she have anyone who she sees regularly for her mental health? If not, it might not be a bad idea for her to reach out to someone. Remember you can't make that decision for her though.

If you think she's in immediate danger of committing suicide, you can call the police. That has actually happened to both me and my friend before, and since we really weren't going to do it on each occasion we were pretty pissed at the hours in the hospital and the bills lol, not to mention the ambulance guy who shouted at me in my case because I wanted to bring my phone.
>>
>>17483355
Not so sure about that honestly, but my gut says she wouldn't win that. I'd say the real question here is what the likelihood of that happening is.

Once again this is another gut feeling, and your friend would probably know best, but I'd say that she'd be more likely to call the cops instead of find a lawyer to sue her own son. Even if this lady is a bit off the rails, I'd imagine she would try whatever approach makes her look best and seems to have the best chances of success.

That being said, still look into every possibility and do whatever makes her safest as well as feel safest, because that's also very important given the history of self harm and the one becomes the other.

Also, whatever happens, just remember she is not your responsibility in the end and you have to take care of yourself too. I'm not saying to drop her and I'm certainly not saying not to care or do your best to make sure she's safe, but also remember to make sure you have enough support yourself.

Good luck to you both OP, I'll check back later as well.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.