[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (36KB, 224x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 224x390px
UK Resident: What are your thoughts on methods of self defense in the UK?

I know the general idea is "Just give them your stuff, avoid confrontation, run away fast" but that just dont sit right with me for a few reasons

1. Its disarming you with threat of punishment from the police, it makes you weaker in order to make you safer? Doesnt feel ok to me, if I want to be able to defend myself with a weapon, I should be able to with reasonable justification

2. It feels wrong to roll over and let someone fuck you over. I dont live the rest of my life like that why handle an attacker like that?

3. Its not reliable. This is on my mind because I dreamt I got mugged for my bike at night and the attacker flipped out and stabbed me in the shoulder for attempting to defuse the situation anyway. Id hate to surrender and try and place nice with an attacker just for them to fuck me up anyway

So, whats /adv/'s opinion? Weapon type? Pick up a martial art? Just fucking run?
Whats the best way of dealing with the potential threat of an attacker?
>>
Whatever you do, it has to be proportionate to the threat. So if you inflict some kind of injury that kills the person if they're mugging you, you might be liable for homicide. It also can't be pre-emptive, which means you can't strike first.
>>
>>17482840

If of the mind that you threaten first, avoid all violence if possible, then attack only if you're forced to

I dont wanna hurt anyone, but I also dont wanna get hurt. And I aint gonna lose any sleep about injuring an attacker
>>
>>17482854
If you attack first, that's no longer self defence and you're opening yourself up to liability for anything that results, meaning assault at the least, homicide at the most.
>>
>>17482879

Why would you attack first
>>
>>17482914
Because you need to walk the streets with a machete and swing it at people that look at you funny, because alpha mode self defence.
>>
>>17483036

More like retard mode self defense
>>
>>17482835
I carry a spray vial full of aerosolised LSD. If I think someone is about to mug me I spray them right in the face.
>>
>>17484075
I would spray myself with it
>>
>>17484116
I do that afterwards.

We then sit down and talk about our lives (Usually they realise they're in for the ride after I tell them what's in the vial). Usually after we finish tripping I have become friends with them and convinced them to change their ways.

I estimate roughly 90% of my friends I met like this.
>>
>>17482914
Because in the event of, say, a knife fight, if you don't you're dead or badly hurt.
If you want to survive, the proper protocol is they threaten you with a knife, you answer with deadly force - only, that's illegal.
If you think this is excessive force, consider how a policeman would answer the threat.
>>
I'm not carrying something around scared when I'm probably not even going to get mugged once in my lifetime.
My tactic in places like Bangladesh is just to carry a cheap phone and a little cash.

I really don't think it's worth it to get into a fight in the UK with weapons. I'm not going for that one heroic moment, I have stuff to do. Although I am well connected and they will surely be taken care of if I'm inside familiar territory.
>>
>>17482835
In all honesty, if someone tried to rob me I'd just hand my stuff over and tell them to fuck off. The only super-expensive things I have are my house (£0.5M, but honeslty if you can physically steal a 4 bed detached house you deserve to keep it) and my car (£44k, however I don't own it, it's a company car so it's no major issue if I walk outside tomorrow morning and it isn't there). Other than that I only own a dozen or so things that are worth more than about a grand (my wife's car being one of them), and everything is insured up to the hilt anyway. I have plenty of things that I'd rather not loose if possible, but I don't own anything that's worth getting killed over.
>>
File: knife.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
knife.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>17482835

If you want to be able to "fight back" reliably, expect to dedicate 2 hours every other day to training, for the next 3 years. And continue it thereafter.

And that goes for an UNARMED confrontation. As far as any advice you are going to get here - it's all completely useless unless you train.

Virtually everyone who knows what they are doing say they will run if they see a knife come out. These are guys running 5 miles in 30 minutes and benching lol3plaet for 12 reps with 10 years of MA training.

As far as weapons go in countries that prohibit anything - meditation balls.
>>
>>17484259

Home security is an entirely different matter. There is shit to do there - cameras, alarms, better doors, etc.

In civilized countries, it's a tradeoff though - you can't exactly put metal bars on your suburban home.
>>
>>17484276
I think I'm good on that one. Or at least I hope I am, anyway. I live in a tiny little village in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, and the closest thing we've had to actual crime here was in 1998 when someone pinched one of Mrs. Jessop's garden gnomes. That said, unlikley != impossible.

The biggest problem if the house got burgled whilst we were out would likley be dealing with the emotional fallout from the wife and kids (I should probably have a sign that says "take whatever you like just ffs wipe your feet before you walk on the carpet"). No idea what I'd do if someone broke in whilst we were at home though. One of the downsides to living out in the sticks is that there is precisley 0 chance of the police getting there in any useful amount of time, so that could be a bit of a problem.
>>
>>17484320

There is a ton of pretty sophisticated security shit you can do. The thing is that it's paranoia and waste of money for most people.

At this point, you can set up fairly cheap thermal detectors that will start filming and notify you on your phone if something happens (and you can turn them off via an app). Most people WILL be deterred by an alarm.

As far as the other concern - it's pretty much serial killers, which is such an edge case, that again it probably isn't worth worrying about. In third world countries, people literally keep an axe under the bed, assuming that you can't get a hunting shotgun.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.