[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do "healthy" people deal with emotions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: dealwithit.png (1KB, 2400x375px) Image search: [Google]
dealwithit.png
1KB, 2400x375px
I've only ever been able to deal with negative emotions through self harm. Be it binge drinking, or binge eating, or binge sleeping or binging on drugs... I've never cut, because I know if I started it would escalate badly, but my self destructive streak never fails to make an appearance when I'm struggling with feeling like shit.

In b4 therapy, unfortunately poor and cannot afford my psychologist at the moment.
>>
>>17479503
Pic related. Your emotions aren't something you're supposed to escape from. Just feel them, think about why you feel that way and then move on with your day.
>>
>>17479503
If it aint going your way. Try the fuck it method. Forget about it and go your own way. I know I have that option
>>
>>17479503
There are little to no emotionally healthy people. Everyone just walks around pretending everything is ok.
>>
>>17479749
This so hard

Get into meditation. Like, literally Google that shit so you do it right
>>
Best ways of processing them for me is to do something creative (I write), play sports, ride bicycle, swim, make a long car trips with friends to abandoned buildings, complexes and exploring them, playing guitar. Basically do something creative or different that will let you have different perspective. Your feelings will be easier to digest and new stimuli will refresh your mind and soul.
>>
>>17479503
You talk about them, desu. Best thing you can do right there.
>>
OP here. These are all things I anticipated. I've been trying meditation, finding it exceedingly difficult. Sucking it up and putting on my big boy pants is proving more difficult. And I find it very difficult to absorb myself in hobbies without weed to help - which I don't have any of at the moment. Otherwise I'd be binging on that AND doing the creative thing.

Talking about them is... hardest. I fucking hate bothering people with shit that drags them down and is draining. I hate being that person.

Thanks for replies though, I do appreciate it.
>>
>>17480674
The thing with talking about things is that it always seems like more of a burden than it is. Or you have shitty friends who can't deal with adversity.

It's important to be aware of your feelings as feelings; it's a lot better to say "I'm feeling like everything sucks right now" vs always being this cynical asshole who says "everything sucks" yknow? Doesn't push people away as much.
>>
>>17480674
Why do you not want to feel your emotions?
>>
>>17480687

Yeah, but as you might be able to guess, moderation isn't my strong point.
>>
>>17480689

They seem to get in the way really. I greatly dislike feeling vulnerable. I don't like... crying. It feels shitty.

I don't like feeling shitty, and the feelings of shitty are far more overwhelming than positive feelings I experience... I don't like being overwhelmed and feeling out of control I guess?

Overall, feeling doesn't feel like it's beneficial at all.
>>
Venting to people or in a diary. Distracting themselves by putting themselves in a social situation or getting sucked into some movie. Blowing off steam in fairly innocent ways like snapping at a partner, telling someone online to go kill themselves, driving too fast, not leaving a tip... small acts of rebellion/aggression. Crying it out, just giving in, getting into bed and weeping while feeling sorry for yourself until you're purged of the most immediate bad feelings.

Also, if you usually live a stable, mostly healthy life that you can derive certainty or even pride from, that puts negativity in a better context. If your life is in shambles, any surge of negativity will open the gates of Hell because it is simply relevant for you to wonder whether you'll ever sort out your issues, get your life on track, etc etc. It is much more contained if your life is pretty alright overall. "Healthy" people have more faith and certainty that the bad feelings are fleeting and will pass.
>>
>>17480705
>I greatly dislike feeling vulnerable.
I can't relate so I won't say anything about this.

>I don't like... crying. It feels shitty.
You what? Crying is sadness leaving your body; it feels great.

>Overall, feeling doesn't feel like it's beneficial at all.
It's a huge source of information about yourself and plays a part in social skills (in my own experience.) Grants me a ton of guidance in life that my intellect wouldn't figure out.
>>
>>17480705
Well you're not the only one that feels that way. I'm a happy person but I agree that life is more suffering than pleasure.
>>
>>17480719

>[Solutions]

Yeah, my small acts of rebellion and aggression are what I turn inwards because I don't like to make anyone else feeling like shit. And still really bad at crying and not knowing when the most immediate feelings part is over. Distraction method seems like 'not dealing with it', but I'm not sure about any of this to say

>Also, if you usually live a stable, mostly healthy life that you can derive certainty

Well shit. I'm disabled and currently unemployed and living off my savings.
>>
>>17480734

Crying feels great? Man, no, I've never felt that. Crying makes your eyes sore, and blocks you nose afterwards, and people look at you with pity. I hate being pitiful. I hate people knowing where my weaknesses are - yes because in the past they have been exploited. It would probably not be exploited today, I have fantastic friends and family... and I've got back to the point where I can cry over events and depressing films and the like, but otherwise crying doesn't happen. I've tried.

>It's a huge source of information about yourself and plays a part in social skills

I know you're right, logically. I just have no idea how you end up feeling better afterwards or how to get through to even the beginning part of emotional release again. Except by talking to people, which... I don't want but apparently need.

I just don't think anyone can help me except me, and venting to others, while it provides insight I otherwise wouldn't have, is limited in usefulness because everyone's kind of broken in their own way. Does that make sense?
>>
>>17480782
The thing is that most people are not that emotionally competent, just functioning. It's like with health: a "normal" person does countless things that compromise his health, like drinking alcohol, smoking an occasional cigarette, eating burnt meat and not getting enough sleep. It's not a perfect way of living, but as long as these things are exceptions it's good enough to get by (in most cases, and otherwise there's often other factors involved as well).

It is the same for emotions. Like when someone seeks distraction, they do not solve the issue, no. What happens is that they are forced to take their mind away from it, their emotions cool off, and when they revisit the issue when they're alone they realize now that they're calmed down that it's not that big a deal. Or they did something shameful and by the time they leave the distracting social event they have processed most of the initial shock and horror and are already accepting that tough shit, this is what happened.
It is not ideal but it works fine for most.

Yeah. There's your real issue. You are probably stressed all the time and once you have a negative moment, whether you rationally realize it or not, it all pours out.
>>
>>17480790

This all gels pretty well with my life experience. I just felt like I'm extraordinarily deficient in the emotional coping area and have always been.

>Yeah. There's your real issue. You are probably stressed all the time and once you have a negative moment, whether you rationally realize it or not, it all pours out.

Yeah. You're right. I've been telling myself I shouldn't be stressed because I'm basically living the unemployed dream of free time and having a decent little pool of money to draw off to work on things that I need to improve. But you're right, I am permanently worried about this whole future thing. That money won't be around for much longer.

Christ.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.