[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to move out, and I have no father figure in my life to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1461889098899.jpg (367KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1461889098899.jpg
367KB, 1600x900px
I need to move out, and I have no father figure in my life to guide me so I need your advice.

Some info about me:
>19 y/o
>Live in central coast, California
>Have about $14k saved up in work / scholarships
>major is Graphic Design but I love film and music too
>have to be gone before next June
>currently enrolled in 3rd semester of community college, not enough credits to transfer
>currently in retail at 10.50 / hr

My close friends are all moving / have moved to LA, besides one who's in Washington. I will be moving to one of these places. I know LA is more expensive but it's more in line with my career choice. I also prefer the quiet, nature feeling of the Northwest. I also prefer to live alone, so multiple roommates isn't ideal for me.

I'm pretty conflicted and i know my time is running short. I'm aware my current job won't support me monthly at part-time and I don't think I have the energy to manage full time and school. I am at a loss for what I should do. I'll try to answer any questions as well. Thnx guise
>>
>>17477777
>those digits

The universe wants you to decide for youself young anon, trust in your heart!
>>
>>17477783
BUT I CANT THATS WHY I MADE THIS THREAD
>>
>>17477777
QUINTS SONONONONONONON
>>
Quints bump
>>
>>17477465
General advice: Get a new job before moving, or at least a few leads. 14k won't last that long, depending on your burn rate.

Fatherly advice: Always have a plan B. Learn a simple skill, in case your plan A regarding design doesn't work out. Design has always seemed to me as a career where it's difficult to get a proper career. Same goes for most creative careers - music, art, design, etc. I was in music myself, but it was hard to get ahead. Luckily i had a skillset revolving around electronics that i could fall back on.
>>
Move to washington. Be happy. Then see about furthering in your career.
>>
You don't have to live in LA - you can commute and save on rent if you don't mind driving. Look into Orange County for suburbs and more affordable rent. There are a ton of graphic design jobs in the suburban areas sureounding LA too so you can easily get a job while attending college while being close enough to move to LA if you get a dream job or into a LA uni.
>>
>>17477465
I wouldn't move to LA if you prefer quiet and solitude and don't have a lot of money. you should be able to find graphic design work where they let you submit work over the internet. so you don't necessarily need to be where the work is.

get yourself a website and start putting your best pieces of work on it. look at other visual artists' websites to get some ideas. even if you don't have the skills to make a super-professional-looking site, you should at least be able to make a tumblr, wordpress, something like that and make it look nice. in other words, it should be at least a couple tiers nicer than a deviantart page.

I went to school before the internet got big, so I don't know how much overlap there is between a professional portfolio and having a website. that is, if you have stuff up on your web page, you might be able to use that as a portfolio when applying for work. other employers might want something more traditional.

your profs should be showing you how to put together a portfolio, if not now then in the coming year. also you will probably have at least one portfolio review before graduation. so don't worry about that too much unless something bad happens and you don't finish school. even if that happens, maybe you can contact a prof or two and get them to give you pointers on portfolios.

good luck OP, the creative life is a hard one but you'll do okay. and just in case, follow >>17479017's advice. every artist or designer I know has a day job. a few of them are art professors. the rest are regular working stiffs. if you can make enough off of GD that you don't have to work a full-time day job, you're doing pretty okay IMO.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.