[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Law School a good idea?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (127KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 425x283px
Is Law School a good idea?
>>
>>17474149
It's a study that requires a lot of discipline. Mainly because it's boring as fuck. Countless of people quit. The ones who don't become lawyers and make above average. It's all up to you dawg.
>>
Expensive schooling and no guarantee that you'll pass the bar exam, with some schools having bar exam passing rates as low as 50%. If you do go into it, look into the exam passing rates of the school you plan to attend
>>
>>17474149
No.

t. lawyer
>>
>>17474201
So if I get into a good law school I'm good to go?
>>
>>17474221
Absolutely not. Even if you manage to pass the bar, which is a huge if, you're going into an overloaded profession.

It doesn't matter much what school you manage to get into if you're not the right sort of personality anyway since law school is essentially a three year hazing ritual. Its not just more undergrad.
>>
No, unless you go to a top 10 school, don't bother.
>>
>>17474241
>>17474242
Why are you retards so negative about law school all the time? Get into a top 30 law school and you're good to go. Most of the top 30 schools have good BAR passage rates. You're only fucked if you go to some shitty tier 2 or 3 school.
>>
File: 1456050721264.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1456050721264.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>17474158

I was thinking of going too. Different anon. Exactly how boring is it? I'm 28 and I need a career change. The movies always make it look pretty exciting.
>>
>>17474309
Seven of my friends/relatives went to law school. Only one made it through. It is literally hardcore grinding all the laws. I personally would never even bother. Though I'm a lazy cunt musician.
>>
>>17474149
Depends what you plan to do.

Lawyers apparently have insane work hours. I think it's a bit hard to get a job as one. Some of the other legal positions might be different.
>>
Is UC Davis Law good?
>>
>>17474499
UC Davis alumni here. I mean Davis staff is probably pretty biased, but I always heard we had a great law program. Can anyone else confirm?
>>
>>17474267
You can't possibly be this naive.
>>
lawyer here. No, it's a terrible idea. Not only is it incredibly and unjustifiably expensive, but the profession is undergoing a massive change and the supply/demand for lawyers has not changed at all since the recession. Law jobs are going to decrease, not increase, and I know of lawyers that came from Harvard and struggled to find work. Add on to that that even if you DO find a full-time lawyer job for a firm the pay isn't actually that great unless you're in a mega-firm - and life in that mega-firm is extremely exploitative and you'll likely either burn out or get kicked out (unless you're a fantastic rainmaker).

Unless you have a solid in to a stable firm (say, your dad is a partner) or you have a specific passion or other advantage in a niche area (say, you already have an M.D.), don't do it. I suppose if you enjoy making 50k a year while working crazy, stressful hours, or don't mind living with debt for the entire rest of your life go ahead, but that's stupid.

Until the middle class exists again nobody can afford a lawyer, so there's not that much demand.
>>
>>17474646
I'll also add, since I read the thread now:

"I'm bored" is a fucking retarded reason to go to law school

Law school is easy as fuck though, so is the bar exam, and so is being a lawyer - if you aren't retarded like that one anon's family.
>>
>>17474646
>>17474656
Can I ask how much you make a year?
>>
>>17474646
>>17474656
And what school did you go to?
>>
>>17474689
70k, but I work in government now

>>17474713
top-30
>>
>>17474958
Is 70k a good salary?

How much did you start off making and in what position?
>>
>>17474267
Written like somebody who definitely never attended law school.
>>
>>17475464
Why?

Even if you don't land a 160k job at a big firm you can still earn a 60-100k job by just going to a top 30. And the debt isn't that bad if you're parents aren't stupid poor and they are willing to help you out.
>>
>>17475026
70k is an excellent salary
>>
An insane amount of work.

An insane amount of debt.

An insane amount of studying to pass the bar.

All for a 50/50 chance of landing a six figure salary.

What do you guys think. Is it worth it?
>>
>>17474646
>>17474656
>>17474958
What state are you in?

What school did you go to? Tell me the name.

Did you do well in law school? Did you pass the bar exam the first time?
>>
>>17475652
https://www.goodcall.com/news/law-school-graduates-find-tough-cash-new-degrees-07901
>>
>>17475652
>job market is literally a cointoss even with a top 20 degree
>but you'll totally just walk out into a 100k starting job!

Post your credentials or piss off.
>>
>>17475707
>job market is literally a cointoss even with a top 20 degree

No it's not. There's a very good chance of landing a decent paying job even with Tier 1 school(1-50).

So I honestly don't know what you faggots are complaining. And it's honestly not that expensive when compared to other graduate programs that only guarantee starting salaries of 60k. Yes, it can be a gamble, but if you have the money, it's worth it even if you a land a 50 or 60k job since you'll probably move up to 70k in a year.
>>
>>17475674
Meanwhile, in medicine even a PA easily makes bank with minimal education required. Or, go for the MD and make even more-well into the six figures guaranteed.

Lawyers are a fucking joke, and parasites on society like bankers. At least medical professionals provide something of value instead of blowing smoke up your ass-that satisfaction is a fringe benefit.
>>
>>17475915
Tell me why you feel that way about bankers
>>
>>17475933
Pure value transference work, i.e. creating nothing of value as would an engineer or scientist, while engineering Ponzi schemes like Goldman Sachs spends their time dreaming up with shit like that whole mortgage debacle. "Investment Banker" = an overpaid salesman with the right country club credentials.

Trading floors, all that shit, can be easily automated with A.I. and eliminated, and what's left is just bullshit make work for Ivy League slimeballs.
>>
>>17475943
You're an idiot lmao.
>>
>>17474149
Why not medical school?
>>
weve got way too many lawyers and docs where I come from, many go jobless. Dunno what its like where you come from OP but if your country is wealthy youll get there soon enough. What we really need are engineers and highly educated scientists, if you're looking for a relatively interesting job with high pay.
>>
>>17475903
[citation needed]
>>
>>17475915
Nice "lawyers are thieves" meme. I'm sure you are more than equipped to adequately defend or file a claim in court and definitely won't need the services of a lawyer to compensate for your lack of such skills.
>>
>>17476241
Because it's even worse than Law School and you end up not working until you're 30+ with 250k or more of debt?
>>
>>17477162
At least the money is guaranteed. Also PA school takes no time at all as another option and you'll still be beating most of the lawyers on the unemployment line.

The debt gets paid in no time, unlike some who spend six figures on a grad degree in afro-american lesbian basket weaving studies.
>>
>>17474149

Not anymore. Thirty years ago, yes, but not now. Even then you faced a life of 100 hour work weeks and inevitable divorce, alcoholism, and suicide.
>>
MUH TRADEZZ!!! Knuckle down and learn how to weld and you'll beat 'em all. Fuck college, I'm tradin'! Daily lungs full of fumes and hot slag burns will make a man of you-who wants to live forever anyway.
>>
>>17477222
Gender studies?
>>
OP here. After reading what you ass-niggers posted I'm starting to consider Medical School for psychiatry instead.

Is that a better option? Am I guaranteed a six figure salary?
>>
so, we got a lot of angry recent law school grads in /adv/ or what?

How you all doing? Making it ok?
>>
>>17478045
You're gonna drop out if that's your primary motivation for med school. Prepare to work harder than a Ph.D. for the first 2 years, because there's gonna be a fuck load of memorization. I was there, there are times you'll comtemplate killing yourself, and that you will always be mediocre since everyone that's in med is in one way on the other on brain roids
>>
So what do now?
>>
Any commonwealthfags here? Is a Juris Doctor or Political Studies degree worth anything? I'd like to work in political journalism.
>>
>>17478364
I've always been really interested in psychiatry though.
>>
>>17478387
For me i feel that it has to be more than just interest in the subject. It has to be your over arching desire to serve the society, are you going to help a kid that can't speak, can't even eat, are you going to spend even more than your office hours, diagnosing kids or even adults who are not able to look at you when you speak. It's a big burden that you must be able to take, i would say would be worse than oncologists with cancer patients
>>
>>17478405
Yes. I'm not a little pussy that can't watch people cry about their daddy issues lmao.
>>
>>17474149
If you're willing to accept the fact you might be paying alot of money and put an insane amount of work in to possibly be a community college intro to Law professor.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.