[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to talk to an alcohol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Alcoholism-Jerry-Nelson.jpg (1MB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Alcoholism-Jerry-Nelson.jpg
1MB, 960x640px
Let me give you a quick summary of the shit currently going on in my life.
My father had a pretty serious problem with alcoholism years and years back and after he almost died in a car crash, caused by his drunk ass of course, he sobered up and has been a good fucking father for all i care ever since. Now he's been living pretty far away from me, my mom and sister, because of a divorce for the last ten years or so, but all has been good, regular contact and all.
He has now relapsed and i've been told he is in full on drunk mode again, talking about wanting to die even, and i'm going to take a train up to him tomorrow morning to visit him with my sister.

So how the fuck do i talk to him? Any advice, maybe one of you has been in a similar situation? We'll try to get him to go into rehab at the very least.

btw i'm 20 years old and my sister is 18.

tl;dr: How to talk to my father who is an alcohol?
>>
Bump
Come on, nobody?
>>
Alcoholic here.

I'm afraid nothing you say or do will have any impact on your father. He will have an answer to anything you say. He will justify or dismiss anything you say. He will get offended or upset by anything you say. He will turn anything you say against you. It's all part of the addiction.

You could tell him you think his drinking is harming him and those who love him but I'd say that on the final day just before you leave not when you arrive or while he has days to think of an answer.

This is his road. He is travelling it alone. He needs to come to the realisation by himself. Change will only happen when he wants to change.
>>
>>17474986
Thanks for your answer, it does make me feel a bit more prepared for whats to come
>>
I'm almost there, any more tips?
>>
My boyfriend is an alcoholic and currently in rehab.

Like the anon said, there isn't much you can do. Addiction is a lonely, horrible illness. Make sure he knows that he is loved and that he has a support network. Remind him that there are people who care about him. Try to give him some normality - take him outside, DO something with him. Get him therapy. Ask him if he wants to quit. If he does, you will have to start taking steps to abstinence. Don't let him say he can drink in moderation - addicts simply can't. Encourage him to go to AA. If he doesn't want help, there is nothing you can do, but do not isolate him more if that is the case. Try to get him into rehab if you are wealthy enough.
>>
>>17475783
Thanks, helps a lot
I'll try to get hin outside.
He is already going to an AA group, or has been doing it until recently.
Rehab isn't much of a financial problem, we have pretty good healthcare here in germany.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.