[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abandon Mathematics Degree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 0f3[1].jpg (79KB, 444x698px) Image search: [Google]
0f3[1].jpg
79KB, 444x698px
I think the other thread got deleted? Perhaps the frog butt was 2 lewd (Nevermind, degree stuff is against the rules there, but /adv/ seems more relationship advice? I'll give it a shot here). I didn't get to see all the answers /sci/ gave.

So I'm currently in uni and majoring in mathematics after having to sit out of uni two years. I'd like to get into CS related fields for work, but would like the flexibility of a mathematics degree.

I spoke with advising and discovered that while my major only requires 40 credit hours of mathematics coursework, I cannot get a degree without 80 more hours of unrelated general education courses to be "well rounded". I can't really afford that -- I'm homeless and sleeping in the library/food court lobbies -- and don't want to sink $30-50 grand in debt just to say I took all the filler courses.

I suppose what I'm wondering is, if I get on at a CS related field and want to shift into CE or something, will I have to go back and take all the gen. ed courses, too? Will my employer allow me to just take the relevant coursework if I need engineering training? Why do school require so much filler to graduate?
>>
>>17471292
>Banned for asking about school on /sci/
>Slid for asking about school on /adv/

Dammit mods.
>>
Can you post the lewd frog butt when your question is answered OP?
>>
>>17471497
Sure,but it still has to be answered first!
>>
Bump while I go to find food! I really need to find a way to store meals.
>>
Not really sure about this kinda stuff, but here's a bump for your troubles, anon. Good luck!
>>
>>17471292

All schools and majors have it. Are there financial support you can apply for? If not I'd look into getting an associates degree instead, or going to community college until you can afford a 4 year uni
>>
>>17471734
Thanks!
>>17471737
Nope. Couldn't even get approved for money to have a place to live while I'm here. I might have to go the CC approach; I already have around 30 credit hours.
>>
>>17471843
Do your current hours transfer and can you get a part time job to help pay?

From my understanding some colleges do accept them and others don't, but I could be wrong. Are you planning on staying at the same college or moving?

If yout staying you might want to make sure that they have that field
>>
>>17471860
I'd have to move; I'm looking for work to afford rent, but if I try to go full time and work enough ours to afford rent each month, it'll be no better than being homeless.

I went to one uni originally, and only about half the credits transferred to something useful to graduate here.
>>
>>17471977
Damn, well try to get tour of the place and meet the teacher to make sure that that's where you want to go too. Also post the lewd frog butt

Also how much did it cost for a whole year?
>>
>>17472001
I'm going per semester, and I'll owe $6,500 per semester going as a homeless student. I have a week to renege on the deal without consequence.

And you guys were helpful so here's frog butt.
>>
Get a minor in CS. A good computer science certification program might be offered by the university. CS interviews are technically. You can study for the interview with like Clean Code or a study guide. Google it.

I have a friend who works a CS job, and he describes his job as problem solving. He has co workers who just did a uni certification program, and he said he couldn't tell the difference. They are all smart and hardworking though.

Sell your problem solving skills and show you can problem solve.
>>
>>17472011
Why homeless? Where do you go to school?
>>
thanks for the lewd
>>
>>17472016
* CS interviews are technical interviews.
>>
>>17472022
UT(Knox) Almost a top 100 school. Almost.

>>17472016
Gotcha. I was going to finish at least Cal II and do Launchcode after being recommended it by a friend. I'm battling with dysthymia and struggle to keep on keeping on.
>>
>>17472016
*show you know CS. the interview is generally not language dependent.

The questions are like riddles. Can you come up with elegant algorithms to sort of tricky questions.
>>
>>17472034
Why homeless?
>>
>>17472060
Can't afford housing, and the university won't offer to pay for it, either. Can't get a loan for it.

So homeless. Living in the library, more specifically, but only during weekdays. Police kicked me out of my previous sleeping spot.
>>
Bump. Went to get late night food but don't really want Krystal. Might go back and get iy anyway lol. No classes today, going to see the fencing club.
>>
>>17471292
I like these frog posters.
>>
>>17472664
Haha, I'll try to keep that in mind if I make more threads.
>>
There are lots of places to sleep in universities, particularly since it's difficult to tell the worn out/drunk students from the homeless ones.

>sleeping in the stacks
>fantasy of mine
>>
>>17473212
The buildings get locked down and at the moment (And again come winter) outdoor isn't an option. There are a few lobbies, but the police patrol them and kicked me out.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.