[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robotics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Currently going to college and currently thinking about either going to robotics or networking.
Lately it seems that robotics may take off, and I have a interest in it. Networking seems like a better position however, and wondering if anyone can give some insight on either of those two careers.
>>
>>17470892
Robotics. Everybody and their mother knows network shit now. They teach kids in junior high how to program and shit these days. Robotics will give you more opportunities that aren't as competitive, and will pay more.

Or go into networking and enjoy $16 an hour forever with all the chucklefucks who went to community college.
>>
>>17470892
Robotics. BUT make sure you get an additional engineering because robotics is practically. useless on its own.
>>
>>17470911
Know anything about the field? Haven't been exposed to it too much
>>17470906
Damn, I thought it a good field. Is computer science still good?
>>
>>17470911
This. Go for mechanical engineering degree and do as much robotics courses/clubs as you can.
>>
http://www.sautech.edu/academics/technology.aspx
Here's the current college I was looking at transferring to. You guys think it's a good college to learn at? Maybe get a bit of mechanical and robotic?
>>
>>17470924
>is computer science still good

It really depends on where you study and where you want to work. You're not going to be a programmer the moment you finish your degree, but it's a starting point.

I studied at a uni where I took some courses in the programming aspect of robotics -- nothing too advanced but it was enough. Gave me something to put on the resume.

Same goes for networking - do you mean network-oriented coding or to generally learn how to operate network equipment?
>>
>>17470943
Questionable. Community colleges don't always have accreditation. That looks like a place to transfer from (after gen ed courses), not transfer to for a degree.
>>
>>17470968
I did some with equipment during high-school I believe. Teacher had us build cables and create a network. Also taught us about some networking methods and other misc things.

I'm assuming network-oriented coding is in bigger demand
>>
>>17470994
Shit, I'm going for my Gen Ed atm. Guess I'll look at other colleges.
>>
Also if any of you are from AR and want to recommend a college, that'll be great
>>
>>17471003
It is. You don't really need a degree for that, though. I built projects on my own to figure things out and that experience landed me a job eventually. Only two years later I started a degree while working.
>>
>>17471092
What degree are you working on?
>>
>>17471186
Finished a B.Sc in Computer Science not too long ago.
>>
>>17471189
So would a compute science degree be a good back-up plan incase the robotics thing doesn't work out? Or should I look towards a trade for a back-up plan?
>>
>>17471297
Again, the degree in itself (as far as Comp. Sci is concerned) doesn't qualify you for any particular job. It just gives you foundations. If you're looking to get into programming (robotics/networking) you're better off picking up a book and writing some actual projects to put into your resume.

As far as what I've seen goes, comp sci. degrees mostly complement experience and previous work.

I'd say it's a good backup plan but be prepared to invest time in writing projects for experience as you go through the degree.
>>
>>17471330
Got it, so when you say writing project do you mean like a project I do in my garage that shows that I know what I'm doing?
>>
There are no jobs with robotics that you think there are.

University profs build those crazy research grant funds robots you see online.

No one builds robots as a job
>>
>>17471541
Ministry of defense is one example.

There are a lot of places with robotics nowadays.

>>17471523
Yes, do stuff in your garage. Even a bunch of small scale projects is enough to make you stand out.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.