[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stoic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

How do I stop being so stoic?

Someone called me stoic tonight and that really resonated with me as to why I have a lot of trouble connecting with people and making friends. I'm not necessarily shy or afraid of speaking to people, I just seldom show emotion or energy. I must come across as cold and unfriendly to people.

How to I become more friendly and approachable without overdoing it?
>>
>stoic
Your friend doesn't know what that word means and you are probably over reading his comment too much unless you got serious issues
>>
>>17469053
Being stoic is a good thing. Are you sure your friend meant it as a criticism?
>>
You're most likely not stoic and probably not even knows what it means

Stoicism isn't having no emotions, it's not letting your emotions overtake your reason or influence your decision making skill and coordination during stressful situations.

Behaving like a dork because you think it makes you look cool and mature isn't stoicism.
>>
>>17469198
>Being stoic is a good thing.
no it is not
>>
>>17469191
There's a difference between stoicism the philosophy and stoic as an adjective.

I guess I'm asking how to be more open with my emotions and have a more approachable personality.
>>
>>17469241
>Stoic - a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.
Is being an emotionally incontinent crybaby the ideal now?
>>
File: image.jpg (230KB, 783x1032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230KB, 783x1032px
Pic related is stoic.
They want you to be a woman. Don't let them control you
>>
>>17469352
>>17469353
Do you pop-Stoicism losers ever get tired of constantly worrying about being "macho"?
>>
>>17469347
Do you have a monotonous voice? If so, practise injecting more tonality and variation into your speech. Reading children's books out loud is a good exercise.

Examine your body language. Are you stiff and static? Do you present a 'closed' outlook, by folding your arms or bowing your head? If so, practise more expansive body language and express yourself with hand movements. Try smiling more.

Are you friendly enough in conversation? Do you show an interest in your conversation partners by asking questions about them? Do you volunteer information about yourself? Try telling anecdotes when appropriate.
>>
>>17469053
Bumping because interested. I've been told I'm stoic and it's never really in a good connotation. It feels like that's the nicest way they can say that I'm an emotionless robot 24/7
>>
>>17469360
What is your problem with stoicism, faggot? We're not promoting it, we're just defending it from ignorant attacks. Now give OP some advice or fuck off.
>>
>>17469360
Machismo isn't a vice, it's a negative preference at most.
Nothing to worry about.
>>
I'd say the best thing to do if it bothered you is to ask them what they meant by it, and talk with them about if it bothers them : )
>>
>>17469363
I feel like I do try to do a lot of these things, although I will pay more attention to my body language.

It's a lot easier to be more open and lively around people once I know them more, but it's hard to get to that point when I can't connect with people because I have this unintentional barrier keeping people away at first.

>>17469366
OP here. This is exactly what I was talking about.
>>
>mfw I find this thread interesting because relevant
>mfw I don't really care because the only helpful post suggest doing stuff I already do

How would you describe the character of your over all energy. I feel like I used to have youthful energy. Now I'm like the silent sage sitting in the corner with a slight satisfaction on his face for no other reason than knowing that I am that I am and there's nothing right or wrong
>>
Try smiling more yo.

Honestly I'm not sure what you want, like for example do you want to be more emotionally open or be seen as an open person? Do you want to seem lively and fun or do you want show emotions? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing my questions right....

Either way, I can say that being honest is always good so that's a first. And I wasn't kidding about the smiling thing. Laughter is always good. And when you get emotional how do you express it?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.