[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

accidentally stole from work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: enhanced-29045-1395177838-7.jpg (118KB, 563x401px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-29045-1395177838-7.jpg
118KB, 563x401px
i could really use advice.

im a new server at a busy chain restaurant, and i accidentally stole about 50 bucks from my job. i signed papers acknowledging that the money is missing at a loss for the company, then i got home and i discovered that i had it after all.

I knew of course that i have to bring the money back. even though they'll likely never find out about it, obviously its not worth the risk of losing my job. BUT, heres where i fucked up. its been a couple days. I should have gone in immediately, but i didnt. i figured i'd just explain before my next shift. but now im realizing how dumb that is. it only makes it seem dishonest to have waited this long....

so how should i handle this? how likely am i to be fired if i go in tomorrow and explain and apologize a few days after the fact? have i completely fucked myself for not coming clean immediately?

jesus i really cant afford to lose this job.
>>
Who is dealing with the matter? Your manager, your managers manager and so on?
>>
They already know the money is missing immediately. The person who does the paper work will immediately contact the manager and he will have to look through all the transactions for the day. If there is no discrepancy then something is wrong. He will then look for when the money was off in terms of end shifts and analyze the cashiers on the register. You will definitely be a suspect.

Best you can do is put the extra money in your starting till and don't say a word about it. The missing money is found and everything should be balanced out.
>>
Doesn't make it seem dishonest to wait a couple days. Maybe you just had the cash in your pocket and found it when you were doing the laundry? If you just talk to your boss about it, I'm sure it would be fine.
>>
>>17468872
>>17468873
to be more clear, heres what happened-

I was super busy at one point in the night, and had a million things on my mind. one of my coworkers handed me cash and said "this was left on table 53" (one of my tables). i thanked him, stuffed the cash in my apron, and then the exchange was immediately erased from my mind. i was completely focused on something else. then later, i tried to close out that table, but the people were gone and i never got payment from them (or so i thought). i told my manager and he counted it as a walk-out.

then at the end of my shift, my manager had me sign documents acknowledging that one of my tables left without paying. he was nice about it. said "dont worry, it happens" and gave me a little lecture about asking for help when im super busy like that, to avoid future walk-outs.

then i got home and found it.

so as far as my manager knows, the money never existed, and its just counted as a loss. unless they talked to that server who handed me the cash, i dont think theres any way they would know.

i still want to come clean though, but it was a pretty negligent mistake. im scared im gonna get in trouble for it, but at the same time i cant NOT tell them. i feel like thats way worse even though i probably wont get caught

>>17468886
thats the excuse i figured i'd use, that i didnt find it til later, like when doing laundry. just hope youre right and it goes ok.
>>
>>17468937

What benefit do you gain from telling them? Look I am an assistant manager and I do this all the time balancing the register is my job for the majority. If the money is brought back to me, I can go back to my paper work of that day and make the changes and no harm is found.

By you going and telling them this, you will have a target on your back and have no chances to fuck up.
>>
>>17468947
thats sorta been my dilemma.

the way i see it, theres a very slim chance that after i left, they found out that the table paid after all, and that i left with the money. i know its HIGHLY unlikely, but its not completely impossible.

if thats the case, then i want to tell them as soon as i get to work, so that i could admit to the mistake before being confronted about it

however, i know that admitting my mistake (which is likely unknown to them) is just opening myself up to potentially unnecessary trouble.

idk its a gamble. and i feel like i'd rather take the higher chance for potential trouble over the smaller chance of getting caught and fired.

i really dont know though
>>
you don't want them to think you're a thief, but you also don't want them to think you're careless or stupid.

you didn't take any money. it didn't go home with you. never come forward with something if there's even a CHANCE they could take it the wrong way. it never happened, move on. if they ask you about it, tell them you don't know.
>>
>>17469150
hm thats an interesting take. i hadnt really considered just fully denying if asked. theres no hard evidence that i have it.

In a perfect world i'd return it with no foul, but that seems pretty unlikely to me. so maybe this is my best option. just forget it and never let it happen again.
>>
>>17468982
I'd assume that your employer probably factors in a set dollar amount for walk-outs every day/week. Probably not going to sink the business from missing a stray $50. If your conscious really gets fucked about it, you can tell your boss and return the money and expect some reprimand and a tight leash for a while, but it's better to do it earlier than later
>>
>>17469236
I'm going to second this.

Don't be too rough on yourself man. Take that $50 and give it to charity then forget it ever happened.
>>
Normally when on somebody's shift some money goes missing, they assume that somebody made a mistake and they have to pay out from their own pocket, since they were the ones who made a mistake

Maybe they'll just make you pay it assuming you made a mistake? I mean, they'll make somebody pay for it. If it's brought another time, say "you know I think it was me who made a mistake that day. I'll pay it"
>>
>unless they talked to that server who handed me the cash

You really think they aren't going to question everyone working there that evening?

>b-but it's only fity buks

Not the point. Employee loss (theft) is more of a problem than any other and kills what profit margin you have. Worse, it sends a signal to the others that they can get away with it.

Are there no cameras in the place either?

Here's what I'd do:

>put the cash back where you found it
>throw the apron in the laundry
>do a few loads and find the soggy cash
>oh noes so sorry!

It is much, much better to look honest and careless than like a con man, which is absolutely what you will look like when they ask the other people there.

Do this now. Take in soggy cash that's been through the wash. Don't just wet it; cash that has been laundered smells and feels differently from that which has just been dunked and not spun.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.