[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is lifting worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 12

File: arnold.jpg (81KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
arnold.jpg
81KB, 600x449px
Is lifting worth it?
>>
>>17467334
>2016
>not lifting

next you're going to tell me that you're not being physically active in any capacity which would truly rustle me.
>>
ask >>/fit/
>>
All I know is that running is shit. It sucks, is inefficient, and actually really bad for your knees.
Go biking (pref. Outside) at 25-30 km (16-18mi) and you burn more calories.
Lifting is fun, but push ups/pull ups are fucking shit.
>>
>is being healthy, strong, and physically attractive, while improving your mental fortitude an learning to efficiently schedule your time worth it?
>>
>>17467377
Et tu, stultus?
>>
Always.

>>17467377
> It sucks, is inefficient, and actually really bad for your knees.
Stop parroting /fit/ without actually understanding anything.
>>
>>17467377

Running with bad shoes is bad for your knees, running with proper running shoes is a great way to do cardio and you aren't in the way in traffic with people honking on you.

Jogging>Biking
>>
>>17467377
Running is only bad for your knees if you have no idea how to run and gamble around like a disabled tard
>>
>is training your willpower and self discipline actually worth it?
>>
>>17467360
>>17467385
>>17467392

Is investing all the time and effort worth it? Is it getting you the chicks you're after? Is it allowing you to beat men in the real world?

Because surely you could just play football (soccer to you yanks) on a saturday, you'll have a group of lad friends, and you'll feel like a lad, and you'll get girls.

Whereas gym shit requires 3x a week working out (at least) PLUS micro-management of your diet, preparing meals, all this shit

Is it worth it?
>>
>>17467487
>Is it getting you the chicks you're after? Is it allowing you to beat men in the real world?
I've transcended this petty shit. I started lifting so I could get girls and protect them or whatever, but once I got into it, I forgot all about that shit. I was lifting for me. It feels better than any random hookup ever could.

Lifting doesn't require micro-management of your diet. It technically requires macro-management. heh.

Yes, it's worth it.
>>
old guy/ old fag here

I never really lifted until I was in my late 30's and it was a big improvement in my health and state of mind.

Previously, I was pretty active, running 10k's and 10 milers, swimming, hiking, biking, etc.

But I was injured a good bit. A proper lifting regimen strengthened the muscles that supported my main ones.

Also, worked on lats and chest and back and improved my posture. Adding muscle mass helps keep the flab away as you age and your metabolism slows down. And its easy to get a solid lifting session in a 1/2 hour over lunch break, doing it quickly gets a decent abmoutn of cardio benefit.

Maybe most importantly, working with heavier weights once a week gives your testosterone a boost. For you young guys, that is probably not an issue, but as you age, it drops. 3x10 sets of Leg presses at 250 lbs gets me rock hard for days.
>>
File: 1464907288563.jpg (67KB, 719x699px) Image search: [Google]
1464907288563.jpg
67KB, 719x699px
>>17467487
>boosts in self-esteem/self-confidence/self-image
>learn and instill the lessons of hard work and self-improvement
>increase in physical capacity
>dramatically improve longevity
>overall health benefits
>look good

you can have all of this for the steep price of 4-5 hours a week.

>Is it worth it?
>>
>>17467496
Oh - and like this guy >>17467495
says, it can really clear the mind

>>17467487
and this type of "weekend athlete" attitude will end you up with knee replacement by age 40.
>>
>>17467495

The way I see it the only things that matter in life are having as many children as possible, and having as much money / social capital as possible to pass to these children

Yes being fit in some form means you're going to pass them stronger genes, which is good

I'm not saying don't exercise, but bodybuilding, which dudes get obsessed with - 3 workouts a week, all the macro management, trying to fit all this shit in after work, when you could just be going out and getting laid, finding a chick who's going to make a good wife - is it really worth it?

If you think it is, fine, it just takes a lot of sacrifice, perhaps too much. Looking good is meaningless if it doesn't get you anything in return. And so is being physically fit and healthy. Unless you are going to have lots of children to pass those genes onto, there's no point.
>>
>>17467513
please OP, dont take advice from someone who thinks you can improve your genes by working out.
>>
>>17467513
If life for you is all about your future children, then you'll definitely want to lift.

When you son says to his friends "my dad's the strongest in the world. He could beat your dads up", do you want him to be lying or do you want him to be telling the truth?
>>
>>17467502
>and this type of "weekend athlete" attitude will end you up with knee replacement by age 40.

Doubt it, it keeps you fit mate.

>>17467516
You can though, I'm not disputing that bit, because you absolutely definitely can.

I'm just wondering whether investing so much time in it is worth it.

>>17467519
But what if you're a deadbeat with no career and no money because you spent all your time in the gym obsessing over macros and PBs
>>
File: 1454354380130.png (763KB, 1312x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1454354380130.png
763KB, 1312x1014px
>>17467513
>believes an individual lifting weights during their lifetime will morph their genetic makeup
>believes being reasonably fit is a daunting task and requires "sacrifice"
>further spouts off dumb shit like: "Looking good is meaningless if it doesn't get you anything in return. And so is being physically fit and healthy."

no wonder you're so lost.
>>
>>17467536
Fuck sake lad, just piss off. You obviously don't want to lift, so fucking don't. Stop asking questions and then CONSTANTLY rebuffing the advice you get. Die a weak and pathetic unloved faggot that keeps crying "b-but macros and stuff!"
>>
>>17467540

Maybe I was a bit loose with genes what I meant is my looks, so hop off that crap.

It is a daunting task. Waking up earlier or going after work requires a lot of motivation. You are sacrificing time that could spent doing other activities like sleeping or relaxing after your stressful day.

Looking good in the long run doesn't mean for most people. Ya sure your body looks better but that won't improve your money situation but maybe give you some added health benefits. The amount of time and sacrifice isn't worth the pay off.
>>
Well it obviously depends what your goals, desires and aspirations are. In my opinion it is very worth it as it improves your health, discipline, confidence, strength and looks if done properly.

But then of course, some faggot can come and ask
>yeah sure, but does it make me a better singer? Because that's all I care about.
No, it doesn't make you a better singer. If all you want to do in life is to be a good singer then lifting is not worth it.

But if you want a balanced life, if you want to be healthy, good looking and all that then yeah, lifting is more than worth it. Sacrificing a few hours a day 3 or 4 days a week is nothing compared to the benefits it can give you. Especially if you already waste this time shitposting on imageboards.
>>
>>17467540
Exercise LITERALLY DOES cause genetic change, as does smoking, eating shit, etc.

>"Looking good is meaningless if it doesn't get you anything in return. And so is being physically fit and healthy."

Do you want to make an argument as to why that's wrong? Because it's actually 100% correct

"Oh look i'm healthy and look great, but i never got a wife, and i don't have any kids, so now i'm going to rot in the ground with no offspring. Yeah i really spent my life well there"

>>17467542
Do you lift? Do you still fuck chicks? Do you still hang out with mates? Do you still have a good career? If you actually did have all those things, why the fuck would you be on 4chan?

I'm challenging you mate because I doubt half the autismos here saying 'yeah lol lifting is kewl' have lifted a dumbbell in their lives
>>
>>17467400
How should i run then? I thought that everybody knows how to run
>>
>>17467563

>Good looking

As if an ugly faggot can turn into a good looking stud by lifting. Fuck out of here with that stupid rhetoric. I am sick of you idiots parroting that same crap of "just lift broo and life will be better". Some of us have hard lives and don't sit around all day lifting weights. We have things to do and are simply too tired to be grunting in the gym listening to some shitty metal band. Fuck off.
>>
File: a7f.jpg (22KB, 652x380px) Image search: [Google]
a7f.jpg
22KB, 652x380px
>>17467553
>moving the goalpost
>using motivations as a means to an end
>not discipline
>looking good in the long run doesn't mean for most people
>just about every succesful person has an ounce of handsome
>thinks looks don't lend you to money and other benefits

Jesus christ.
>>
>>17467568
On your toes instead of your heels, otherwise you're shocking your knees.
>>
>>17467566
You VASTLY overestimate the time spent lifting or even the time spent on 4chan. Not everyone spends 15 hours a day here like you do, you fat cunt.
>>
>>17467553
you're pretty fucked senpai.

hopefully one day you'll see just how stupid you truly are.

probably not though. it would require higher level thinking than you seem to be capable of.
>>
>>17467572
Well then you're fucked. Is that what you wanted to hear?
>>
>>17467553
look - if you lift weights and get huge, your kids will not be born more muscular.

The only way they will be better looking is if your weight lifting attracts better looking women.

You are acting like you can either be super into weight lifting and and body building or none at all. There is actually a lot of spce in between.

You can eat regular shit and lift weights as part of your overall health regimen and it strengthens your bones and muscles, and if combined with regular cardio and some good flexibility training, helps your over all health.

Ask any knee surgeon the #2 reason his patients are there. #1 is they are overweight and their knees can't handle it and #2 is they are 40 year old former jocks who think playing (basketball/baseball/football -either kind - rugby or whatever once a week is keeping them fit.
>>
>>17467582
Yes it is, because honestly, I made this thread to get this answer.

fuck outta here, no! I wanted to hear other options because lifting is not easy and I truly wanted an easy way to look good!
>>
>>17467573
>>17467578
>>17467585

Why the fuck am I be hammered here by you assholes? Can't a guy give his opinion without people giving him shit? Seriously you need to fuck off and shove a rod up your asses you pricks.
>>
>>17467591
The feeling is mutual towards you, you salty little shit.
>>
>>17467575

You've completely misread what I said

If you had all those things, WHY would you be on 4chan? (not HOW)

And I don't overestimate it at all

If you want to see physical results from weightlifting you should do it at least 3 times a week

That's a lot of time and stress, added to the time and stress for preparing your meals. Then you've got your job to go to, and hopefully fit a girlfriend in there too

So again, I will ask my question. Do you lift? If so, do you also have a good social life? Do you also have a good career? Do you also have a girlfriend?
>>
>>17467591
it's cause your opinion is fucking retarded but, again, you're too dumb to see how fucking dumb you are for having such a shit opinion.

so now we're sitting here, disrupting my shitposting, to try and educate your little shit brain about the benefits of being physically active which continually results in your plugging your ears, stomping your feet, and shouting at the top of your lungs that "wahhh self-improvement is fucking dumb wahh so is your health."
>>
>>17467591
you are stating your opinion as fact. we are telling you that your opinion is not factual.

eating shit can cause mutation in your genes, but these mutations are not likely to be passed on to your kids - ie: because you smoked and your dna is broken and turned cancerous, does not mean that you will give your kids cancer because you smoked.

The same is true for the positive effects of exercise. the exercise helps your genes function better, but does not change your inheritable dna
>>
File: bill-gates-jpg.jpg (639KB, 1198x805px) Image search: [Google]
bill-gates-jpg.jpg
639KB, 1198x805px
>>17467573
>just about every succesful person has an ounce of handsome

Why are /fit/fags so retarded?

I guess they've gotta justify spending 3+ nights a week in the gym, plus every other ounce of free time cooking oatmeal, rice, chicken, broccoli, all into neat tupperware boxes

I don't know why I'm either bothering with an example to show you, because basically any man who has ever run his own company did so because he worked hard to get there, not because he """""""looked good"""""""

What the flying fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>17467572
You can always improve your looks by improving your body, anon. Sure, if you have shitty genes you won't be 10/10, but lifting (or, pretty much any physical activity that helps you develop your body) will make you look better.

If you're not baiting I feel truly sorry for you. You have a shitty life and have completely given up on growing out of it. We all have stuff to do. We don't sit all day in a gym. I work 50 hours a week and until recently I was also a student and it didn't stop me from going to the gym or jogging once in a while. You're not too busy to do it. Your life isn't too hard for you to do it. You just don't want to. You would rather complain on 4chan about how busy you are. And that's perfectly understandable, not everyone has to lift, but cut out that passive-aggressive whining, it's one of the reasons why your life sucks.
>>
>>17467601
>WHY
Because I like the people. My mates don't know about music, so I talk with 4chan about music. My mates don't know about sports that aren't football(soccer) so I talk to 4chan about sports. So on and so forth.

>I don't overestimate it at all
3% of your week is spent lifting.

>Do you lift?
Yes
>Good social life
Yes
>Good career
Yes
>Girlfriend
No, we broke up recently.

That good enough for you, you turboautist?
>>
>>17467603
>wahhh self-improvement is fucking dumb

Spending your entire free time either lifting or cooking /fit/ food instead of focusing on earning money and fucking chicks is fucking dumb, yes.
>>
>>17467596

So a guy has a differing opinion from you meatheads and this is what he gets? Get hammered by three faggots who are pushing their agenda? Seriously fuck off, I am not even joking you assfuck.

>>17467603

It requires a lot of time and dedication you pea brain. That is my point. Not all of us can spare the hours needed nor do we have the energy to pull it off. I work 9 hours a day and the last thing I want to do is head to the gym, hit the weights when I am already tired enough. Then when I get back home I would be utterly tired to go out with my friends or engage in my hobbies. What kind of life is that? I got shit to do unlike you dumbasses and won't be bogged down by all this weightlifting. FUCK OFF

>>17467606

I made mistake, hop off my nuts. Jesus. I already talked about this.
>>
>>17467610
Prove it
>>
>>17467617
>meatheads

>>17467620
>Prove it
Alright, troll thread confirmed lads. Just a lardo shitposting. Abandon thread.
>>
>>17467624
I said prove it. Post pic with timestamp.

Go on. We're waiting.
>>
>>17467610

>Durr I am successful and I lift hurr

Anyone can say anything online with no proof so miss us with that shit
>>
>>17467607
> Work hard to not have a shit body
> Worked hard to run his own company
I think the constant here is that you're unwilling to do either.
Protip: You're going to die and everyone is going to forget you so you might as well excel at something you like.
>>
>>17467628
Post pic of my good career and good social life with a timestamp? Right lad, give me a sec till I ring up my boss and my mates.

Kek, you fucking retard.

>>17467629
Then don't ask the question you spastic.
>>
>>17467601
>If you want to see physical results from weightlifting you should do it at least 3 times a week

That's a lot of time and stress, added to the time and stress for preparing your meals. Then you've got your job to go to, and hopefully fit a girlfriend in there too

a frequency of three times a week for a length of 1.5 hours is "a lot of time and stress?" the time and stress of cooking? anyone with any sense is already going to be preparing their own meals. you're just changing what you make.

you just sound like a bitter, lazy fuck. no wonder recreational physical activity sounds dreadful to you.

>So again, I will ask my question. Do you lift? If so, do you also have a good social life? Do you also have a good career? Do you also have a girlfriend?

i'm not that faggot you're (You)ing but i'll give this a shot.

yes, i lift. four days a week, 1.5 hours per session. i'm investing a grand total of SIX FUCKING HOURS a week. it's really cutting into my shitposting.

i'm a physical therapist. it's pretty fucking dank. i work outpatient rehab at a hospital.

I do have a girlfriend. she's pretty cute. could lose some weight. she's going into nursing.

i used to be a skinny beta cuck for all of high-school and for the start of my undergrad. i didn't take up lifting till i started college and it wasn't for some time that i got serious about it and started to see meaningful results. the attention i got from women skyrocketed relative to what i was getting (fucking none).

you faggots think that people are going to the gym and lifting for other people cause you're weak minded. you still dictate your own self-worth on the opinions of others. people apply themselves into endeavors of self-improvement for themselves and that's when they truly shine.
>>
>>17467631

>kek

Faggot as /v/ neckbeard pretending to be to a lifting guy. Jesus how pathetic can you get guy? Fucking hell.
>>
>>17467617
>I work 9 hours a day and the last thing I want to do is head to the gym, hit the weights when I am already tired enough

You know what would make feel less tired? Regular exercise.

Also
>9 hours
>9 whole hours guise!
You are bitch-tier
>>
>>17467639
I left /v/ in 2013. I do believe what you're doing is called "projecting".

>pretending to be a lifting guy
>a lifting guy
kek.
>>
>>17467637

6 hours is a lot of time in the week honestly. And you aren't counting the amount of time preparing your meals and being too tired after your work out. I tried the whole lifting thing and I was sore for days and hated every minute of it. And now we have guys like you telling me to do this 6 hours a week for days, weeks and years? You are out of your mind.
>>
File: chicken.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>17467630

No it's not and you clearly haven't been reading my posts (or you confused me with someone else)

I'm OP and what I've said throughout this thread is this: is the time and effort of lifting 3+ times a week, plus preparing all your meals (necessary for gains) worth it, when you can spend that time fucking chicks, earning money, having a social life?

>>17467631
Post pic of your body to prove you lift

Come on, you're a lifter, aren't you? Not scared are we?

Not chicken? Not chick-chick-chick-chicken?

BWAAAAAK BWAK BWAK BWAK BWAAAAAAAAK
>>
File: 1457630119401.jpg (69KB, 764x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457630119401.jpg
69KB, 764x720px
>>17467617
>I work 9 hours a day and the last thing I want to do is head to the gym, hit the weights when I am already tired enough. Then when I get back home I would be utterly tired to go out with my friends or engage in my hobbies. What kind of life is that? I got shit to do unlike you dumbasses and won't be bogged down by all this weightlifting. FUCK OFF

tl;dr - i'm lazy.
>>
>>17467641

Calling me a bitch when I excel at work and in my hobbies. Gotta say you meatheads are absolutely pathetic if you aren't lifting weights. Go peddle that "bro culture hippie" bullshit to some newfag who doesn't know any better you faggot.
>>
File: 1361307081809.png (249KB, 743x476px) Image search: [Google]
1361307081809.png
249KB, 743x476px
>>17467651
>Post pic of your body to prove you lift
>Come on, you're a lifter, aren't you? Not scared are we?
>Not chicken? Not chick-chick-chick-chicken?
>BWAAAAAK BWAK BWAK BWAK BWAAAAAAAAK
I'm going to do the right thing and let your thread die now, I only hope others will stop feeding too. Enjoy the crushing loneliness that pushed you to this shitposting in the first place :^)
>>
>>17467646

So you used to a bile piece of shit who visited that board on a regular basis. I knew that disgusting arrogant faggotry was familiar from somewhere.
>>
>>17467637

I post a pic of Bill Gates as a good example in life and you think I'm a bitter lazy fuck? Care to explain how that works? Do you think Bill Gates is a bitter lazy fuck for not lifting? Do you want to explain those mental gymnastics to me?
>>
>>17467660

HE DOESN'T EVEN FUCKING LIFT

HE LITERALLY LIES TO PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET PRETENDING HE'S A BIG HOTSHOT

HE THINKS THIS CONSTITUTES AN ARGUMENT

HE HAS NO DEFENCE AGAINST WHAT I'M SAYING, WHICH IS WHY SPEND YOUR TIME POINTLESSLY FUCKING LIFTING WHEN YOU COULD JUST GO AND FUCK CHICKS AND EARN MONEY INSTEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Love how the replies have dried up now that I asked lifters to prove their claims :)

I'm not saying lifting is bad for you, which people seem to think

I'm saying that it's a massive commitment when you could be spending that time on career, fucking, and family

I'm also not saying don't do exercise - the thing is that you can do different and much more sociable exercise (I cycle, and I can do that with my mates which is awesome). I don't have to spend my whole time worrying about training and macronutrients and whatever the fuck
>>
>>17467668
yeah, cause i can actively track who is posting what you fucking cuck.

bill gates sacrificed and bled to accomplish what he accomplished. you idiots think this is still about weightlifting.

you and your friend that continually preach the values of mediocrity would have sat behind him and asked, "Bill, what are you doing all this for? Is it even worth it? Why not just work for IBM instead? You could have a nice position there with a decent salary. Why would you do more than you need to?"

you have such a piss poor attitude towards life. you and your cucked friend. be content with your weak lives.
>>
>>17467651
>I'm OP and what I've said throughout this thread is this: is the time and effort of lifting 3+ times a week, plus preparing all your meals (necessary for gains) worth it, when you can spend that time fucking chicks, earning money, having a social life?
Then don't lift. It's obviously not worth it. Don't waste your time, bro.
>>
>>17467691
>calling me a cuck

Literally why are you getting so defensive mate? Why are your jimmies so rustled?

>bill gates sacrificed and bled to accomplish what he accomplished. you idiots think this is still about weightlifting.

No, YOU do, because you claim that anybody that doesn't lift is """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""lazy"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Lol i love the butthurtness of your post, you probably don't even lift :^)
>>
>>17467703

Maybe if your fatass could lift those sausage fingers on and get yourself in shape, you might actually end up doing something productive with your life and that could bleed into other areas.But no let us be a arrogant asshat who has a stick up his ass because he is to chunky and stupid to make the effort. I wonder how much your tits jiggle when you walk and if you wear sweaters in the summer to hide that flab. Utterly pathetic.
>>
File: obongo-laughing.jpg (78KB, 631x480px) Image search: [Google]
obongo-laughing.jpg
78KB, 631x480px
>>17467712

>wah wah wah everyone who doesn't do my hobby is lazy!!!!!!!!!!!! wah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lel :^)
>>
>>17467719

When was the last time you had a meaningful conversation with the opposite sex? And no small banters with the cashier doesn't count you lard sack of shit.

I know you are a virgin who beats off non stop and hates us guys who are in the gym pumping iron. You must feel so envious of our bodies while yours looks like a disgusting mess.
>>
>>17467737
Look, please, just let the thread die with him 'winning' already.

Clearly, your words are going in one eye, and out the other. Chances are he'll reply to me too, but here's the trick: Don't even reply. let it die.
>>
File: IMG_0856.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0856.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>17467737
>>17467756

It's not the best it's not """""""""""""""disgusting""""""""""""""""", and I'm not a """"""""""""""""""lard sack of shit""""""""""""""""""""", but nice try.

>he has to lift to give him the confidence to talk to girls

Lol

You do realise you can just talk to them right?
>>
>>17467774

You have the body of a male transgender.....you don't get laid at all. Fuck off virgin.
>>
>>17467780

Want to prove your claims mate or you're just going to lie on the internet?

Which is it?

BWAK BWAK BWAK BWAK BWAAAAAAAAAAK
>>
File: ecf.jpg (51KB, 911x264px) Image search: [Google]
ecf.jpg
51KB, 911x264px
>>17467790
>>
>>17467334
If you want to get a bit bigger, stronger or have better functional strength for everyday life or a hobby, then yes.
You don't have to have a strict diet or train religiously, as long as you go 2x a week and train properly with good form, ROM and with a suitable weight you can see results.
>>
>>17467811

So you literally spend the whole thread claiming you're a gym-goer and are super successful in everything and you don't even have the balls to post your impressive body on the internet, when I've posted my supposed "male transgender" body???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>>17467813

2x a week is better than 3 I guess. You think that's good enough for results?

Maybe I'm sceptical because the main example I have is my mate who goes 5x a week and literally his whole life is preparing / consuming food

My other mates tried and stopped the gym, because none of us will ever get as hench as him i guess
>>
>>17467832
>Maybe I'm sceptical because the main example I have is my mate who goes 5x a week and literally his whole life is preparing / consuming food
It depends how dedicated you want to be and what your goal is.
If you want to look like a competitor (that places), you will need to have a strict regime, diet and take steroids.
If you want slightly bigger arms, to be able to do pull ups and bench press your body weight, you can go to the gym 2x a week, if you want better stamina for football, do 3 days a week and make 1 of them a cardio orientated day.

It really does depend what you want from it.
>>
>>17467866

True. And then I think "really I just want to get girls and do well in life" which is why I then think there's no point

Maybe i'll go back to the gym soon because I like lifting but then you go there, and you see all these dudes obsessed with it, and you feel you have to compete, and make your entire life about lifting
>>
>>17467878
>but then you go there, and you see all these dudes obsessed with it, and you feel you have to compete, and make your entire life about lifting
I work as a personal trainer, those super dedicated people don't do anything correct 95% of the time and many take steroids.
When you start doing the DB chest press with 10kg and you see a meat head doing 24kg, you feel disheartened, but after a year you will over take them without any problems.
I DB chest press 35kg per arm, I'm not strong by any means, but I'm stronger than most in my gym, I also had a take away and a tub of ben and jerry's phish food while browsing /adv/.

Seriously, find a qualified PT, learn how to do the lifts properly and stick with them, don't ego lift and you will over take the meat heads in no time.

Next time you see someone doing curls, watch their wrist curl in, their elbows move forwards and their hips move to get the weight up while not letting th weight reach the bottom or the top of the movement.
>>
>>17467905
>I DB chest press 35kg per arm

Jesus fuck mate. That's fucking strong in my book

>qualified PT

Ehhhh.... I might just listen to my mate. He's 6'5", literally stacked, he knows what he's doing. I've never been to the gym *with* him (never lived close enough to him) but I talk to him about it and he knows a lot of shit

And I'm pretty sure he's never used a PT. I should find buddies to go with though. Going alone is shitty.
>>
>>17467400
>>17467398
>>17467392
>>17467391

I know this is a fit question but since we're on it
Is running really a meme? Ive started jogging, but I think I fucking injured my hip and I have proper shoes. Also I have asthma so running kicks my ass, and I feel like I don't get much out of it because i have to stop to walk every fucking 2 minutes.
IS biking really better? What other cardio shit can I do? Jump rope?
I have high blood pressure and Im trying to bring that shit down with cardio, I dont think lifting is going to help.
>>
>>17468004
>Is running really a meme?
No. "Cardio kills gains" is a /fit/ meme. It's just an exaggeration of the fact that you need to eat more if you want to keep gaining while running. Not all injuries are because of dodgy shoes. Running form is also important and also, injuries can just happen naturally. You can't protect 100% against them, unfortunately.

I'm asthmatic too. Stick with it. It's helped with my asthma to the point I don't even need an inhaler anymore. Do Couch to 5k or some other similar program. Make sure you're constantly upping your distance or time or whatever, every single time you run.

The best cardio BY FAR (even though I hate it and would never drop running for it) is swimming.
>>
>>17468004
>I dont think lifting is going to help.
Lifting is also cardio, it's just not as cardio as actual cardio, if that makes sense.
>>
>>17467334
lifting is pretty fun and the benefits are great but i think getting into mma or boxing is more beneficial. the muscle and strength you gain from lifting is pretty pointless desu, and the body building community pushes retarded body images over fitness. body building is a faggots sport desu. get into something for real men like boxing
>>
>>17467360
I have an office job at a computer and when I get home, I go sit at my desk with my computer and play games or shitpost. Then I sleep.

On the weekends, I do the same thing minus working.
>>
>>17468062
if you're happy not lifting, dont be pressured into doing it. its an obsessive hobby, and unless your job consists of manual labour, there is no real benefit to it.
>>
Imo it is worth it, but don't let it get to your head. As in don't think you're better than everyone just because you lift.
(This has happened to so many people i know. They started lifting, and they became absolute narcissists, and a tad antisocial).
>>
>>17467607

Exercising isn't just all about aesthetics you know
>>
>>17469046
>(This has happened to so many people i know. They started lifting, and they became absolute narcissists, and a tad antisocial).

Right. My friend got his heart broken, he went on to lift and got a decent job. Things were great for a while, but he would start trying to hookup with girls, including girls who have boyfriends. And he was borderline bragging about the fact that he almost fucked a girl who was seeing somebody else.

Lifting weights is a great thing but I'll go so far as to say it is overrated. There are many, many ways to sharpen your mind and even your body that don't involve picking things up and putting them down. And re: things like being disciplined, dedicating yourself, remaining motivated and setting clear goals, this is something you can do with just about any hobby or activity. I think lifting gets promoted above the rest though because it enhances your sexual and social appeal more than certain other things.
>>
>>17468028
You can do some of both. Not everything has to be black and white anon
>>
>>17467377
>One of the most basic, evolutionally proven and hardened human activity is bad for your health
>>
>>17469421
>One of the evolutionary things you would only use for fleeing or the occasional hunting
I mean to say that the constant impact on your knees, however good your shoes, is not going to be beneficial.
I hiked 800 miles with 220 euro shoes, perfect fit, good lacing, proper stretches etc. and I still felt and feel its impact. Aren't we nomadic?
The deal is that we aren't used to so much running anymore, and if you start suddenly around 20 y/o you're going to worn down your body easier than if you would be mountainbiking. I can easily bike 120 km a day but 10 k of running and I am close to dying. Running exhausts you whereas biking is a continuous tension on your body.
>>
>doing the hardest most boring work imaginable for literally no reward except being slightly more attractive
I've started twice and did it for about 6 months each time.
I got significantly bigger and stronger but it was absolutely not worth it.
>>
this thread is abso fucking lutely horrifying. like what the fuck are you guys getting out of this thats enticing you to help your competition.
>>
>>17467334
depends on the reason you do it
for me it was one of the best ideas i had
>>
>>17467364
ask everyone but not /fit/ because either you get gay or depressed
>>
You dont gonna have the aesthetics of the ones that used steroids and either you gonna need a lot, incredibly huge amount of time in the gym to see results,

>>17467334
>worth it?
Yes, since the first day you would feel better with your body
>>
>>17467334
Go to >>/Fit/
>>
Lifting isn't that difficult. I go before work and do it for 90 mins 5 days a week. Better than a cup of coffee. This thread is full of retards.
>>
Yes and know. Is it generally a good idea-yes. Is it worth being being of those try hard fags that just loves to lift and has no other balance in his life? No it's not worth that. You're not going to get huge without steroids, it won't help you get girls if you're really weird and akward anyway. So basically it's only worth it if you lift for yourself in moderation with other parts of your life. Don't take the shit too seriously and don't go to snap city. I went to snap city and never came back.
>>
>think of course it is before I even open the thread, wonder how anybody can be so stupid as to think that it isn't
>open thread
>full of retards

well I can see why some people need confirmation, you have actual retards claiming that it's not worth it, a waste of time, unhealthy for you, etc

christ what a disgusting and embarrassing display
>>
>>17467566
bench pressing a few times isn't going to determine whether or not the sperm with that retard gene from your great uncle is the one that makes it to the egg first, it's all chance
>>
I lift for stress relief and to stay healthy. Ive been going to the gym for about 2.5 years, but not eating enough. I never cared about looking ripped and shit, just the health benefits.

>it has been worth it for the above

Now I have 8 months to get in killer shape since im finishing school and want to start dating. TFW you dont want to be alone. So lets see if i can attract a female.
>>
The hardest part about getting jacked is diet. All it takes to get jacked is hitting the gym for 1.5 hours 4 times a week.
>>
All the people preaching about how lifting is unhealthy and a burden on the body, are those who are comfortable floating in the slush amongst all the other average joes. The people who believe that when something becomes difficult, something becomes painful, then it's a sign to stop. Because God forbid greatness ever be achieved through difficulty. These people apply this mentality to other areas of their lives. Grinding to a halt when adversity rears it's head.

Thank the heavens for men of the past who didn't share this ideology that no reward was worth strife. If it wasn't for them then mountain peaks would of been without human touch, continents never to be added to maps and the moon never to be imprinted by human feet.

I despair of this generation sometimes.

For fuck sake go and find conflict, do something that scares you. You'll gain perspective and with perspective comes wisdom and character. Nobody is average unless they choose to be
>>
>>17467566

Your obsession with finding a good female to settle with and having "healthy offspring" is a bit weird and creepy. Are you a damn elk?

Also, lifting some dumbbell 3x a week won't change your DNA structure or influence your genetic.
>>
>>17471220
Lol what are you a frickin poet or something
>>
>>17467601

Man, i think you are really overestimating all this gym thing. Spending 1/1,5 hour 3 times a week lifting some iron isn't anything difficult, every idiot can do it and at the same time having time for gf, friends and job/University

It really isnt that difficult, nor you need to plan PERFECTLY every meal you do, especially if you're a beginner. Just go to /fit/, read the sticky, and do a week of training in your nearer gym, just to try. It will help you a lot
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.