[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guitar and singing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: large.jpg (287KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
287KB, 500x500px
Any guitarists give me some advice please?

I'm a massive Nirvana fan and have learned all the songs on guitar but I really want to be able to play and sing, but I can just never do it. Any advice for singing and playing?
>>
Former touring muso, have recorded, etc.

If you can't play the guitar line while you read/hold a conversation/ etc, you don't know it well enough. Practice doing this. Then, when you can, you'll be able to start singing over the top.
>>
>>17464911

Funny you mention this OP, Kurt Cobain couldn't play and sing earlier in his career too. Just practice it like crazy. Nirvana is easy so once you're done with it you can problably play more stuff, get some gals (although if can sing AND play nirvana at the same time you will problably get girls too)

Me? I don't really have the talent, but you can do it man.
>>
>>17464911
It really depends on the song. When I look for songs that I can play and sing I look for songs that revolve heavily around a particular chord progression.

Songs that feature a lot of intricate guitar-work, or that aren't carried by a distinct linear progression that gives you room to sing your lines and has key marker points that you can reference with regards to parts of the lyric are almost impossible to sing and play at the same time.

When I hear a song that I want to learn how to sing and play, I don't look for tablature on the intricate guitar licks and things like that... I search for the song chords. Ie. "Bright Eyes Lua Chords"

If you get a lot of hits, it's generally an indication that the song translates well whenever you try to perform it with just a guitar/singing

If I looked for chords for Golden Earring - Twilight Zone, I might be able to find a few hits, but I highly doubt that when I play it it's gonna sound anything like the song does for the mere fact that its not based around a central guitar chord progression... it's more bass-heavy with guitar licks and riffs and a lot of tactful drumwork
>>
>>17464911
Been a guitar player for 15 years, toured, recorded, whatever. I don't really agree with this guy >>17465149

You kind of have to relearn the songs and get down beat by beat how the two parts to work together. It's a similar process to putting left and right hand parts together when you play piano (if you've ever done that, idk). Sometimes it's super easy right off the bat, but if the rhythms and pitches between the guitar and vocal parts are substantially different, you'll need to slow way down and just work through it one measure at a time until you get how things subdivide together. At some point it just clicks and you can do them at the same time, but up until that point it's like learning to rub your belly while tapping your head. Go slow, use a metronome.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.