[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military - good idea or bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: military.jpg (94KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
military.jpg
94KB, 1200x675px
Military - good idea or bad?
>>
>>17464597
drowning in debt or dumb as a stone= good idea

just don't know what to do with yourself=bad idea.
>>
>>17464597
Generally good idea, depends on the branch.
You won't get killed like everyone says, and the government benefits are excellent for you and your family.
>>
>>17464603

No it's because I'm interested in it. I worked as a web developer for 1.5 years and almost as soon as I started it, I was looking for other things to do.

I looked at the navy (Britfag btw), but I don't rule out the others really.

After going to the gym and doing some fitness while I was working, I really can't stand the idea of office jobs now (I couldn't when I took that damn job really)

Many things I think are appealing like seeing the world, getting physically fit, camaraderie, playing sport, doing something responsible (web dev is jank), discipline, going on skiing trips like they seem to do.

>>17464611

Exactly, they are. Stuff that you wouldn't get in the private sector. Plus when you're living on base you save a fuckton.
>>
I'm in the navy, best decision I've made. Seen 8 countries, money I the bank, married... Navy is the only branch left that pays for your schooling while you're still in on top of the GI bill when you get out. Go Navy.
>>
>>17464603

But yeah I should say - there's a caveat that i've been NEET for 1 year. Yes it's a long time. I ragequit that dev job because I'm dumb

Turns out it's very possible to lose all motivation and become a layabout twat

But anyway - I'm just wondering if I should contact the AFCO (armed forces careers office), they can only say no can't they.
>>
>>17464616
I assume you're US though, I'm Brit. Yes navy is what i've mostly been looking at but the others seem cool too, plus i've got two mates in the army
>>
>>17464616
That is literally every branch, bro
>>
how do you cope with institutional bullying?
>>
>>17464616
Also I just realised I should probably ask you more questions.

How old were you when you joined? How long you been in? What's your job?

>>17464633
Nigga I dunno and I dunno how that's relevant

If you're talking about chain of command i've got balls bro, i can deal
>>
>>17464639
Bullying is rife in the military and not just from the chain of commend.

if you can't hack it then don't go.
>>
Swedish Army tanker, best worst decision I ever made. Can get hard to put up with all of the CO bullshit and such, but goddamn I love my job. The friends I've made, experiences I've had, holy shit.

But it comes down to why you want to join, if it's just because you don't know what else to do, don't do it.
>>
>>17464597

I've just qualified as a ODP (Surgical nurse in laments terms ), and I'm also thinking of joining a branch of the British Military too. I don't really understand the ranking system though, as apparently I'll go in at a certain rank due to my University degree rather than just being trained in the army.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also what would be the pros and cons of joining the army rather than just a standard hospital ?
>>
>>17464660
As I said I have some nuts mate

I don't know why you're being such a twat

Unless you've served and can tell me personal experiences then fuck off

>>17464734
>if it's just because you don't know what else to do, don't do it.

There are specific things I want out of it - fitness, discipline, responsibility, camaraderie. Yes maybe there's an element of "what else" but that's because the other options in my life seem shit. I still think I have good reasons to be interested in it.

>>17464756
>apparently I'll go in at a certain rank due to my University degree rather than just being trained in the army.

So you have a surgical nursing degree? If so then you'll probably go in as an officer.

Basically you've got privates and officers in the army (ratings and officers in the navy). Both are split into several ranks.

People who go in as privates typically aren't qualified in anything (beyond GCSEs really) and will get trained. Whereas to enter as an officer you need either A levels or a degree depending on the job.

Have a look on the army website, see what the medic roles are. They'll state what qualifications they're looking for.
>>
>>17464859
You seem to be taking it personal that I'm pointing out bullying is common place.
I'm just trying to give you heads up, it's not an attack.
>>
>>17464882

Do you want to give me your personal experiences bro or do you want to fuck off?
>>
>>17464859

I'm trained as an Operating Department Practitioner - Which essentially means I'm trained to assist in Surgery, Anaesthetics and Post anaesthetic recovery.

Its not a nursing degree - Its a Diploma of Higher Education , but I've been to university and I can turn it into a degree with a bit more studying if i desire.

From what I've just researched. Its saying when I start my training I'll be a Private , after a few months and training move to a Lance corporal and once Ive qualified I'll just be a corporal.

So going in already qualified I'll just start as a Corporal, right? And Is that decently high in the Amy/navy?

Sound like a good career move or should I just stay in the sinking ship which is the NHS?
>>
>>17464908
>So going in already qualified I'll just start as a Corporal, right?

From what you said it sounds like they want to give you specific training

But if you think you have that training then maybe you will go in as that

That's not an officer rank, it's below officer (I was wrong when I said everything below officer is 'private' - they're actually just called 'other ranks'): http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/32321.aspx

But it's not the lowest.

>Sound like a good career move or should I just stay in the sinking ship which is the NHS?
Well i'm OP so i haven't served, looking at it myself

Dunno. I do hear the NHS is shit. Contact your AFCO is the best advice, that's what I need to do really
>>
>>17464633
>>17464660
>>17464882

>bullying

What the fuck are you talking about? You do realize the military trains you to FIGHT in life-or-death situations, right? If a little bit of verbal bullying is too much for you, it really is best to discover that weakness BEFORE they send you off into combat.

Some forms of bullying serve a necessary function. A certain degree of conformity is necessary for a functioning military. It's not the best place to "be yourself" and "be unique."
>>
>>17464994

t. military bully

Bet you love sucking NCO dick but can't actually do your job
>>
>>17464997

say that to my face not online motherfucker and see how fast you get a code red
>>
>>17464994
Bullying has a negative effect on soldier and unit performance. There's a difference between bantz and bullying. It doesn't matter how tough you are, it's bad for you, it's bad for the bullies, and it's bad for the army.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.