[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me with my collegs major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (45KB, 620x434px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 620x434px
I'm deciding between majoring in Petroleum Engineering, or something with Renewable Energy Engineering.

At the moment, I would like to do my Bachelor's in America, then get my Master's in Norway since they have tuition free university for even international students. I would get my Bachelor's there, but they only have about 5 courses for Bachelor's taught in English. I plan on taking Norwegian Language Courses while I'm there too.

I planned on moving to Norway sometime in my life, & I've heard that it's almost impossible to get a serious job with just a Bachelor's since everyone has access to tuition free education so this just gives me more reason to study there. Norway also has a huge Petroleum industry, but I am afraid that Renewable Energy will overtake Petroleum & I'll be fucked over if I major in Petroleum Engineering. Is this possible in my lifetime? (I'm 18).

I know you get taxed to shit in Norway in exchange for free shit but this is what has drawn me to Norway in the first place.
>>
Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Norway (or any other scandinavian country) OP?
>>
>>17464420
I actually haven't, but I have family in Sweden & very close friends of my parents moved to Norway a couple of years ago.
>>
>>17464408

You should major in Chemical engineering, the petroleum industry will still hire you and your major won't be so niche that you'll be locked into a boom/bust.

It'll also help you transition into renewable energy if your economic situation changes.

Just look what classes the industry wants you to take.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 635x473px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 635x473px
>>17464408
The petroleum industry is pretty fucked in Norway at the moment, might improve but just a heads up.
I'm working as an engineer in heavy industries with a bachelors degree, you don't need a master but it makes it alot easier to land the job you want.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-20/biggest-nordic-bank-predicts-oil-industry-losses-through-2017
>>
>>17464430
Thanks anon that helps a LOT. The only thing is, somewhere I've read that people who work as Petroleum Engineers that majored in specifically Petroleum Engineering make around $20k more than people who work as Petroleum Engineers but didn't major in Petroleum Engineering. I'm not sure how true that is, but even if it is true it's better safe than sorry so Chemical Engineering it is (for now).
>>
>>17464438
This is the exact thing I'm worried about. Even people who aren't politically progressive are starting to think the world should make a transition to clean energy. The Petroleum industry is not going to just collapse any time in my lifetime, but the quality of the industry can and has been decreasing. Just like an anon above said, I'm safest majoring in Chemical Engineering because I'll be able to transition into the Petroleum or Clean Energy industry if I ever need to. Thanks for the heads up, sorry if this is a dumb question but what country are you working in?
>>
>>17464473
Not a dumb question at all, I'm norwegian and working in Norway.
Chemical Engineering doesn't sound like a bad idea, it's applicable to atleast two industries i've worked with(Salmon farming, surfactants) and petroleum too.
I'd recommend going for what interests you the most though.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.