[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Python or not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: The-Cruiser.gif (38KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
The-Cruiser.gif
38KB, 480x480px
I am learning Python because I am bored right now. I don't know how far I will get into it. The question is, is this a marketable skill to put in the ole tool box? Will it look good on a resume? Is it enough to get a jerb?
>>
Learn Java, way more jobs with it and more potential to make money as a freelancer.
>>
>>17463866
is Java a very different from Python? I think that all programming languages have the same basic tools and function. Am I wrong?
>>
Don't you fucking die on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
Does anyone here have a job where they get paid to use java? Do I need to know other languages?
>>
What's your current programming background OP? Python is good to start and get into the basic programming principles (Datatypes, Lists, File operations, simple algorithms, etc.). You absolutely can make a living using Python in addition to other skills (i.e. algorithms, statistics).

>>17463880
Java is a different language than Python. The very basics mostly stay the same, but Java has some depths that takes years to learn and master. It's true, the language is widely used in (big) software projects by companies and having a profound knowledge of it can be useful for a developer.
>>
I am a complete noob. I have only used PBasic for programming a BOEBOT and messed with the configuration H in Sprinter/Marlin for Arduino/RepRap printers. I work in mechanical design.
>>
Python alone won't get you a dev job. Development is much more than just knowing some programming languages m8. That being said, automating repetitive tasks will make your life easier.
>>
>>17463950
not OP but im currently trying to learn java and im currently on looping statements n shit and just made a hi low game
reading that makes me want to drop learning java and just learn something not computer related
>>
>>17463972
I got a Masters in CS and I gave up counting on how often I wanted to switch careers into literally anything else than software development.

The way of a programmer can be incredibly frustrating, dull and stupid. Yet sometimes those little rewarding sparks of achievement make it worthwhile. At least for a short time.
It's up to you alone, if you want work in this field.
>>
>>17463987
What Kind of money do you make with a masters in CS?
>>
>>17464007
I can only speak for me in central Germany and even here it's hard to compare salaries, because they depend heavily on location, company, job description and other factors.

Started out of uni with 58k € at a big international company as a software engineer. Because of the working conditions there I switched after 1.5 years to a smaller one now making 62k €.
I really can't complain about the money, even though I know programmers making twice as much in Berlin or Munich. I value my working conditions and leisure time more.
>>
>>17464026
That's really good money depending on cost of living. I know here that is very good money. Thank you for your candor
>>
>>17464026
Do you have a Masters in Informatics?
Merican here studying Informatics (Bachelor) in Halle.
From what I've seen in Germany you can do quite a bit more than just software development with Informatics.
>>
>>17463859
1. 4chan is really not the best place to ask about this stuff and will mostly yield smartass answers written by 14y/o teens with no experience whatsoever.
2. yes it's a marketable skill
3. a lot of stuff is written in python and you can do a lot of stuff with python. even create games. it's just not as low level (and therefore not quite as powerful) as some other languages like c++. but these days computers are so fast that very demanding applications have to care about performance. that's why a lot of stuff is written in python, too.
4. python alone is probably not enough to get a job. but that goes for every single language. most jobs in programming will require you to be good with a bunch of languages (where python is among the popular ones). other popular languages are c#, java, javascript, depending on the field c++ but even way more stuff. i'm not 100% sure about this as I'm not working in the field.
best way to find out if it's good enough to get you a job is to have a look at job opportunities in your desired field and reading the desired requirements for applicants
>>
>>17464056
Based reply. Thank you Anon.
>>
>>17464055
Yes indeed, the major here is called 'Informatik' and you are right, there are a whole lot of jobs you can do with this degree.
Yet the vast majority of graduates will end up in development or consulting. The german economy is quite complex and the demand for a specific fields isn't as clearly comunicated as it should be.

I can only advise everyone here to choose a field he likes, but don't stop at improving other (soft) skills to improve their chances finding a good job.
>>
>>17464080
Where did you study and where do you work now?
>>
I'm not from the field nor have I worked by once I did abit of reaserch on how many jobs offers there are in python I did find quite a few even though they wanted more broader experience than python.

None the less it does seem like java is in more demand than python,from job offers I've seen in my town and from what I've heard from friends
>>
What about outsourcing of programming jobs to other low wage countries? Is this something I may have to worry about in the future?
>>
>>17464086
I graduated at Darmstadt technical university and worked first in Frankfurt before I switched to a smaller company in Bavaria.
>>
>>17464102
There's a vague difference between 'simple' development jobs, which need a very exact guideline on what you want them to program, and software engineering jobs, where you can let the engineer discuss the requirements with your customer himself and let them have much freedom in their working.

The more your skills qualify you as a software engineer instead of a simple developer, the lower the chance you will be replaced by someone cheaper.
>>
>>17464108
Do you know how important the Uni is when looking for jobs? Kinda worried about that.
Did you get bachelors and masters there?
>>
>>17464173
Yes, I did both at Darmstadt (they guarantee you a place for a Masters degree if you graduate there).

The reputation of the university isn't really important! There are some institutes that claim to be more elite then others (Karlsruhe Institute of technology, RWTH Aachen, Ludwig-Maximilian-University Munich), but I never met an employer who really cares about that. Even with shit grades from a unknown university you can land a nice job.
What does matter to an employer is working / project experience and soft skills. If you do internships in your vacation time, work part ime as a programmer or contribute to an open source project, it's a huge plus. Same goes for comunication / presentation skills (i.e. volunteering).
>>
>>17464219
Hmm good to know. And what about the quality of the education? would you say KIT is better than most Unis for Informatik?

I've been working part time in a IT support/helpdesk position and will probably continue to do so until the end of my degree, any idea if that is good enough or should I try to get an internship somewhere else too?
>>
>>17464236
Well, I never studied at the KIT (or at the other universites I listed), so it would be presumptuous to tell you anything about the lectures or the education there.

What I know is, that a certain reputation for an university leads to more students / professors applying to and more money funded to it. So they can spend a lot of ressources on the brightest people working on state of the art research projects in different fields. In fact a good professor of mine moved, because KIT offered him a teaching position for embedded systems.

Your job in support sounds good to me. If you're interested in a certain field after graduation, you can look for something that resembles that interest in your cv.
>>
Just learn some branch of 68000 ASM and you'll be set for a while.
>>
Is this thing still alive?
>>
>>17464362
I'll assume you're joking
>>
>>17463880
You are correct, by learning one it will be much easier to learn the other.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.